Should I pick up this 7600GT???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MTL, Jun 28, 2006.

1. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  2. serious1

serious1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    that's the best brand to buy from IMO. and a damn fine card so do you really need me to tell you to go for it;)

3. Nishchal Sharma

Nishchal Sharma Master Guru

GPU:
    inno3d geforce (2X7800GT)
    7600gt is good..But look for the 7300gt with gddr3 and g73 core.....those are really the beast and must cost you less then 7600gt..More over both are based upon the same core....7300gt can be unlocked to get 12 pixel pipelines...same as 7600gt......:D

4. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Yes, but 7300GT are something like 6800GS.

7600GT are something like X1800GTO or event 7800GT.
    So, 7600GT would be better and the price is not that bad. (The best Bang per Buck IMO)

5. To date nothing can be unlocked on the 7 series architecture. So unless you know something that we don't, please share.

6. Nishchal Sharma

GPU:
    Its true that there is still no utility to unlock the pipelines for 7series..YET...
    But this was the same case when the 6 series was launched (remember the 6800 and 6800gt version based upon the same core..).....the unlocking for 7 series must be on its way.......

7. You don't understand. It is physically impossible to unlock anything. The pipes are cut with a laser. No amount of software will ever be able to get them operational again.

8. Nishchal Sharma

GPU:
  9. Nishchal Sharma

GPU:
    It again shows that..the g73 core has actually 16 pixel pipelines........LOL..
    so for a 7300gt 8 pipelines are blocked and for 7600gt 4 pixel pipelines are blocked.....:rolleyes:

10. They are NOT blocked. They are cut with a laser. Yes my old 7800GT shows 4 pipes and 1 vertex unit dissabled. But you will NEVER see them operational. Do you not understand what I have told you? They are physically cut with a laser at the factory. I know in Riva Tuner it shows them as masked, but they are infact cut off from then rest of the core......

I'm not trying to be rude to you friend, but please do some research before you post something like that.

11. Nishchal Sharma

GPU:
    I don't know about the laser cutting of pipelines.....But why would nvidia make a g73 core for 7600gt....and cut those extra piplines for 7300gt..when they can be masked......(if they cut down those pixel pipelines then it will be impossible to get them back.....nvidia will surely don't wanna do that..)

what do you say...dude???????

12. They cut them to prevent people from doing what they were doing with the 6 series cards. To stop them from getting a free upgrade and have their top-end models lag behind in sales. They did that to protect their highend GPU sales. Do you really think anybody would pay top dollar for something that they can have for much less? Of course not. Nvidia knows that too. Which is why the pipes are cut with a laser. So now if you want a top end card, your are going to have to pay for it. Gone are the days of getting a 6800GT for 6800NU prices.

And the reason that you will find the same core in a lower end product is often because they could not pass internal tests to run at the higher end specs or in fact the pipes are not fully functional to begin with. So they are cut, then down clocked, and put in a lower end card. And Nvidia still gets to make a profit on their sub-par chips.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  13. Nishchal Sharma

GPU:
    So thats the case.......:3eyes: :3eyes:

then nvidia should start with g78 core with 24 pixel
    cut down 4 pipelines to get 7800
    cut down 8 pixel pipelines to get 7600gt
    cut down 4 pixel pipline to get 7300 gt
    then cur down 4 pixel pipeline to get 7300gs

a single core for all 7 series.......doesn't this sound even economical for nvidia......But surely that didn't happen.......we are missing something.....
    I don't know what??????:frown: :frown: