1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I let Windows manage my laptop drivers or manually get from manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Vibe, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Are the drivers that WIndows 10 automatically installs the same drivers that Dell uses for my laptop? When I do a reinstall of the OS, it automatically downloads all the drivers so do I actually need to download all of the drivers from Dell and install those?

It does appear that Windows 10 doesn't install Intel's Rapid Storage. Do I even need that? I mean all my hardware works so I just want to make sure I'm using the most optimized drivers that may effect things I likely won't notice like battery life, memory leak or something like that.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You can skip Intel RST drivers, but some drivers at OEM site can be customized specially for your model of laptop. Such as video, audio, and for various special keys...
    If all devices work without errors, then do not bother.

3. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Thanks so are Windows drivers the same or are they updated or just some generic derivative?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Some are same, some are updated, some are generic.
    But in case of laptops you can`t be sure that Windows provides the best driver because of lack of the customizations made by OEM. If all is working then you are good just with Windows own drivers.