Should I keep my current board?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Razorrig, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    As most of you know the P45 P5Q deluxe runs crossfire at PCI-E 2.0 X8 on both lanes. Now so far my performance is outstanding and I cant really fathom it being much better than it is right now.

I just wonder how much of a boost I could get from an X48 Board running a full X16 on both lanes? or if it would even be worth it? The reviews seem to be mixed on this, some show a difference while others show hardly any at all.

I have a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 on its way to my house that I purchased for $100.00 and the board should be here tomorrow. Im just having second thoughts on this purchase now and wonder if its gonna be worth the hassle of taking everything apart and installing this new board.

Please keep in mind I like my Quad core CPU overclocked at 4ghz and im not sure how well the Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 series handles Quad Core CPU's.

Also with the overclocks on my HD 5870's I wonder If they would benefit from more PCI-E bus width. Thanks for the replys.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I'd say around 5% maximum tbh.

Going from x8>x16 won't make much difference unless your maybe running a dual gpu card which you're not.

3. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I'd have been tempted to stick with your current board.

The increase is only really very small for the step up to x16
    you won't notice it unless benchmarking I think from what I have seen in tests done to check this - was one from Toms I think...

4. Revs

Revs Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 2.0
    Agreed. Even with multi-GPU the bridge does a lot of the work. If you're happy with your current board, stick with it :)

5. TARNY

TARNY Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
    You wont see a big difference to be honest.ive gone from AMD 780a to intel and from skt 755 to 1156 i5 not much motherboards in between but the boards that i have chosen i can see the difference and now im happy with my setup and people have said go for the i7 but from mine to i7 i wont see nothing compared to the money i will have spent.

stick with it unless your going to i5

6. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    Thanks guys, I will probably just stick with what I have then and resell the X48 board on ebay.

At this point I would think having my CPU cranked up as high as it can go would be more important with my setup. This current build will probably be my last with socket 775 and with 2 HD 5870's I should be good to go for a while before moving to a complete different platform.

I just want to be done with a build for once and enjoy it, you know? lol.

7. kingnosser

kingnosser Banned

GPU:
    MSI560tiTFII/OC/1GB
    Asus P5Q Deluxe this is a possible for me next year as I'm on an SLI mobo and would like better OC ability and may get another 5770 and two more monitors but then I may go another route.