Should I install SP2?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Vincent MacLeod, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Vincent MacLeod

Vincent MacLeod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce4 MX 440 64MB
    Hello all!

Based on the comment made by the forummer, It seems SP2 will slow down performance and such.

Also one of my friend, after he install SP2, his PC keep on reseting. Well, his problem is when the Windows splash screen is loading, after a while the power reset and abck to the BIOS and reload back to splash screen and the power reset and so on and so fort.

Well, izzit adviceable to install SP2? And what cost the problem on my friends PC?

Thankz:D

2. m5taylor

m5taylor Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
    I'm not sure what is causing your friends problem, but I can tell you from my own personal experience that there is no reason why you shouldn't be running SP2. I have not had a single problem with SP2. As a matter of fact, I trully believe that my rig is running a tad smoother with SP2. If you install it and encounter problems, you can always remove it through the add/remove programs under the control panel.

3. Enox

Enox Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD2600Pro AGP8X
    Hello Vincent,

your friend has a AMD 64bit processor ? If so he must uninstall the SP2 . . .
    How ? Well, go into the Bios disable L1 and L2 cache, save settings and reboot.
    Now enter XP in Safe Mode and uninstall SP2 .... reboot and go to Bios, enable the Caches again.
    Well by now he has again XP SP1 and all is ok !