should i grab a Wii or PS3?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Used_condom, Apr 17, 2008.

1. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Same thing happened to me. I had to run back to the store to get component cables cause I figured they came with the system like my 360. But ffs they're only $20 for the cables. Cheaper if you get them online. Oh yeah, the 360 came with an ethernet cable which the ps3 was lacking.

2. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Actually, you said:

I took that to mean the PS3 and the Wii.

3. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Duh my PS3 came with an Ethernet Cable, tho it's very short. :p

4. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Amazon in the UK are doing a deal for a free hdmi cable with the PS3... kind of silly that sony don't include one.

5. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Wii. If I want graphics, I have my eternally upgradeable PC. Otherwise, it's Wii.

6. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    I have the same mentality as this, after playing on a Wii for the first time today I love it, yes I noticed the jaggies on Wii Sports, but I really don't care when I have a pc like this. With rumors of GT5 coming to pc and GTA4 coming out for PC in October I see no point in the PS3 now as the other PS3 "exclusives" like MGS4 just don't appeal to me, have never got into that and Army of Two is also coming out for PC.

Wii gets my vote now to just get my own ^^

HyBrId

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The PS3 basically is a media center, but with the internet channel, and a couple resources, from what my understanding it the Wii can also be a media center as the PS3 can, streaming video, but cannot save video on the Wii. The Wii has some pretty ****ty games, but also some very fun games like Wii sports, Wii play, Mario Part 8, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda, Mario Kart Wii, Super Paper mario, Mario Galaxy, Red Steel(I don't care what anyone says about this game, it's pretty fun.), and Smash Bros(Broken online though.) PS3 does have graphics, but online system is kind of...Well draggy if that's a word. Right now, the PS3 needs more games, like Killzone 2 and MGS4.

8. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    GTAIV might make it to PC despite Rockstar saying that they won't be doing a PC version and I have seen nothing solid to suggest it is coming to PC any time soon. GT5, as in Gran Turismo 5? No chance in hell.

As for the OP, the Wii is a great system for a party environment with a few people round, especially Wii sports and Mario Kart. The PS3 is more a typical, traditional console with a decent media player and high def playback device thrown in for good measure. They really are very different.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    gotta say Wii is weird console it seems to have the most bloody games and then the most family friendly ones... no more heroes and then theres one coming out that looks sick lol... id go with ps3 tho ^^

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    IMO PS3 is more future proof, and good games are just now showing up. A couple good launch games also, aka Resistance, Dark Kingdom. Also PS3 is a well built machine. Regular Firmware updates to improve upon the PS3 in many ways also. Free net is also a nice touch..all free voice and all.

Wii is nice and all with the Wiimote, but I dunno personally nothing on the Wii I enjoy.

11. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Put it this way, the Wii is for little kids and the PS3 is for adults. Which do you prefer?

12. Feninski

Feninski Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870
    hope its sarchastic..because is a totally wrong statement

..btw..im with ManicOne. I got a Wii and i love it. If i want to play something with amazing graphics i got my pc. But ehy, Mario or Zelda or Metroid for example got some nice graphics too.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Both the PS3 and the wii are made for anyone to enjoy them.

14. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    My only problem with the wii is that it has worse graphics then the old Xbox
    and that it fails at classic controls, and simulators, and MPFPS (multiplayer FPS)

I mean.... Mario kart and medal of honor are fun, but they don't cut it compared to NFS, PGR4(xbox), GT5 prologue (PS3), GTA 4, CoD4, upcommings unreal and far cry

But you know what both consoles are made of, you go for what you think fits your type of game the most

15. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    How does it fail at classic controls? Sure, the WiiMote and Nunchuck are vastly different from the "standard" controllers, but that's the idea. They always have the classic controller if you really need one.

16. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Get a PS3. The Wii is fun for a little while but the motion controls get old and so do the games.

17. zinc99

zinc99 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    The Wii is a party machine. I will host keggers and everyone wants to play the thing. I have to move the couch and let them go at it. It is the center of the entertainment. People are playing darts and beer pong, but there are always people having alot more fun on the Wii. I play my PC for real games but if you want a system to play with friends its the Wii all the way. People that have never played the thing before won't feel dumb for you just swing the thing around.

But I almost never play the thing on my own BTW. Its kinda lame, Mario Galaxy is fun but the it is not for real gaming.