Should i go green or stay red?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by NeuroFunkeR, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    seems the 7000 series issues are pretty much fixed, single and xfire. dont know about earlier cards. high end nvidia cards do come with 2 games now (at least in the USA) AC3 and Borderlands 2

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    I can't comment personally on the HD 7970 series since the last AMD cards I owned was HD 5870 CFX and unfortunately that was not the most pleasant of experiences, granted running multi-GPUs presents its own set of problems for both sides. I suspect had I stuck with a single HD 5870 that I wouldn't have had so many problems but back then AMD's drivers were pretty lacklustre in my view. CFX support was lousy, often taking months to add support for a game which was usually disabling CFX altogether. I didn't especially miss hardware PhysX so much as I feel it is overrated, given its performance hit and scarcity of games that use it even though it does add a level of graphical fidelity to games (particle effects such as steam and debris and whatnot). However, I did miss the custom anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion flags that NVIDIA add plus it is very easy to tweak them, not something that is quite so easy unless you use something like RadeonPro, an excellent third-party utility which helped fix a lot of my problems but even then it still felt like I was spending more time tweaking than playing the games.

Fast forward a couple of years and I went through a single GTX 580 and then a single GTX 680 quickly followed by a second GTX 680 for SLI. NVIDIA's drivers are IMO generally more mature and they support games better. The game profiles are a revelation after the pathetic effort that AMD had at the time I was using HD 5870 CFX. I won't deny that I've had issues with GTX 680 SLI but they've not been anywhere near as annoying as HD 5870 CFX and the GTX 580 was pretty much flawless as far as video graphics cards go (I was only using the one). I did experience the infamous v-sync stuttering issue though with my GTX 680 but credit to NVIDIA, it was fixed within a couple of months.

I understand that AMD have improved their drivers to now include per-game profiles which is a huge step and long, long overdue IMO. I was constantly requesting AMD to add it when I had HD 5870 CFX so it is good that they've finally included them. I can't comment on CFX but I've no doubt that too will have improved. I will add though that I found the whole Catalyst Application Profile system to be horribly confusing, knowing which version to use with which driver. In some cases with my HD 5870, I found that I had to uninstall the CAP in order to get games to work even though the CAP supposedly superseded the one included with the driver. At least with NVIDIA there is only one set of profiles and it is automatically updated via their NVIDIA Updater. Sadly, with MSAA/CSAA support going the way of the Dodo in many DX11 games, it is much harder to force AA in games now, even using the profiles. As such it means resorting to using FXAA or a FXAA/SMAA Injector, which offers much poorer anti-aliasing plus tends to blur the image and HUD/text.

A recent article I read in CustomPC magazine did a roundup of all the DX11 graphics cards and the HD 7970 GHz Edition won followed by the GTX 670 based on value for money and performance. Great as the GTX 680 is, it is admittedly overpriced, especially compared with the better value GTX 670 that runs just 10% slower on average. My advice would be go for either a single HD 7970 or a GTX 670, I doubt you'd be disappointed with either. If you're going to go multi-GPU at some point then I'd recommend GTX 670 as I still believe NVIDIA have the better drivers and based on my own experiences SLI generally works better than CFX (non-supported games are less impacted by negative scaling for example).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Are you going to buy a new 8 series AMD?
    @Darren Thanks.

4. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I am glad you have a nice experience now, but what s the point of your post? The OP has said he doesnt want multigpu.

5. F.A.Q

F.A.Q Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 FTW Sig 2.
    If you really want to upgrade and have no brand loyalty, then AMD is a better choice.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I asked Darren to come in and give his experience.
    Also the OP may want to go CFX at a later date, You know money and everything, Cheaper to go CFX/SLI other than go for latest newest card.

Also the OP said in thread starter...
    "Also i'm curious, how well does 7970 compete against latest nvidias, are there many driver related problems, graphics/performance issues with ati, or most have been fixed with latest drivers?"

The more information the OP has the better regarding there final decision.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    :funny:
    :funny::funny:
    :funny::funny::funny:
    :funny::funny::funny::funny:​

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well I had the same opinion as Veteran for a long time, until recently.. well until yeah, I got the 7950 with 12.11.

But it doesn't matter now, both are pretty much the same now, with AMD maybe at a slight lead, not slight, but definite lead. :D