Should I give sound card another chance?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by bsan89, Dec 15, 2009.

1. bsan89

bsan89 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 1GB
    First, I was reading Guru3d PC buyer Guide Winter 2009 as I plan to build a computer sometime mid-late January after CES 2010.

I came across this, quote: "Asus Xonar D2X 7.1
    Vista has left the audio card market wide open by removing direct hardware access, thus taking away Creative's long enjoyed performance advantage thanks to EAX. Into the fray comes Asus with an excellent card that offers a knock out punch: "

*Why is it that nobody recommend "Creative" sound card? I look through a
    few buyer guide. Its always Asus Xonar or Auzitech.

*I don't quite understand, "Vista, Direct Hardware access"? is something
    in windows 7 makes better use of other cards?

I stop using sound card years ago. Why?:
    -Bought Creative X-FI PCI Extreme Gamer but
    had beeping(Noise) sound & microphone issue.
    -Creative claim problem is cause by Nvidia base motherboard.
    -Creative claim problem is high-bandwidth from SLI set up.
    -Creative solution was buy their PCI-E card for $150-$199.
    -Bought X-FI Titanium Champion
    -Noise issue continue and driver issue occurs for Vista Support
    -Creative blame Vista since everybody hate Vista anyway.
    -Creative takes another few month to finally make Vista fix
    (I pray when I built my Window 7 it won't have issue with the sound card!)

I love to pick up a X-FI Titanium again if it work now. Add that with a pair of 5870 from ATI

2. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    You pretty much summed up why nobody recommends Creative sound cards.

3. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    If you had all that problem with a Creative card, what make you think it'd be any better now? There is a reason people don't recommend Creative cards anymore and you hit it on the head like PHJF said.

If you're serious about sound, good sound, you'll do yourself a favor by picking up an Auzentech or ASUS card. If you want X-Fi, get the X-Fi Forte or X-Fi Prelude from Auzentech. If you watch more movies and listen to more music, pick up the X-Fi Home Theater HD from Auzentech or the HDAV 1.3 Deluxe, Essence STX or Essence ST from ASUS.

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've honestly never had issues with my Creative cards.

Of course I had issues when Vista was first released and the channels kept swapping around, but after the drivers were fixed it's been fine.

The only reason I use Creative stuff, is the I/O bay you get which you put in the 5.25" bays. So I can easily plug headphones and Mic in.

Otherwise you have to screw around at the back of the computer all the time and unplug **** all the time.

5. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Case doesn't come with frontpanel jacks?

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    They do, but it's still not quite as easy as having them plugged in the I/O bay, plus I can just turn the sound volume knob on either the Mic or Headset to adjust volume quickly and independently of speakers.

7. Dion

Dion Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB
    Do not buy another creative card or any creative card with there chipsets. They all suffer the same problems. My Forte even has popping now.

8. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    i have the titanium champ and its the one that works completely in vista-win7 with the curent old original software.................consider m8 to go to auzen or to xonar for such this problems free

9. bsan89

bsan89 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 1GB
    I've been doing some research on how Creative stand now.
    Unfortunately they've been exactly the same as before.

I looked at recent review and read the forums.
    Seem the "Snap, popping, and disoriented" still a huge issue.
    Creative claim it has no issue with the x58 board but
    I had the exact problem when playing fallout 3 months ago on my EVGA x58.
    I thought if I just waited they had the problem fix by now.

I have a feeling they might release a new product for Window 7
    and show it off for CES 2010. Repeat all over again.

I'm using this card mostly for Home-Theater and Gaming.
    I rarely listen to music on my computer, I use my iphone for that.
    I might just go for the Xonar if its stable on Window 7, and free of SPD
    (Static, Popping, Disoriented)

10. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    ASUS Xonar Essence ST or ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe would be two solid choices for home theatre use and gaming. I'd go with the ST over the STX because the ST can have the H6 board attached so you get the full 7.1 effect, same with the HDAV 1.3.

11. bsan89

bsan89 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 1GB
    Dang, those Asus Sound Card are damn expensive.

I'm taking a interesting with the ASUS Xonar Essence ST.
    Sadly nobody seem to bought em from Newegg yet.
    So I'll do more research about that.

Hopefully their driver is much more stable and window 7 friendly.
    Here's to no, SPD.

Edit: Wait a min. The ST use PCI while the STX use PCI-E.
    I prefer to use a PCI-E since I'll be using a EVGA x58 LE with [2] ATI 5870

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
  13. IndianScout

IndianScout Banned

GPU:
    GTX580 SLI
    I have the XFI Platinum, never had one issue with it..

14. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    ^^ On of the few decent Creative Cards, but it still lags behind ASUS, Auzentech, and HT Omega in playback quality.

Hence, why we can't recommend Creative; their cards aren't competitive, and their drivers stink.

15. IndianScout

IndianScout Banned

GPU:
    GTX580 SLI
    I got it for the drive I/O so I can plug my guitar into it..

works great..

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Long time creative user.. we're talking AWE32 days and forth..
    Issues I've had:
    1. Via KT133a chipset didn't work well with Live! card. Sometimes loud static. But EAX was great. HL1, Thief 1+2 plus System Shock 2 were marvelous.
    2. Vista x64, it took Creative one full year(!) before I actually had any sort of sound instead of just static.

Other than that I'm pleased. The best game support there is, the Asus Xonar DX which tries to emulate EAX cannot match the quality and did not support many older games. In fact it caused many engines to crash, including 3dmark2003. For older games I certainly cannot recommend Asus (nor Realtek, M-audio or Terratec..I have used them all)

When it comes to sound there probably are cards which are better then Creative, but it is much more important to have a decent setup otherwise. Not just amp but most of all speakers. Even the room is very important..as this has huge effect on the final sound.

Oh btw, I had a Gigabyte AM2+ mobo which refused to co-operate with my Xtremegamer.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    For me I haven't had any game and any older game crash with DSGX 2.5 turned on which also controls the Eax5 emulation as well the surround sound function . I do have alot of older games and I have installed alot of them , I didn't have any issues with them crashing.

3Dmark 2003 didnt crash for me when I had DSGX2.5 enabled when I ran it to see what I would get. I played some star wars RPG that I cant remember the name of with DSGX2.5 enabled without it crashing. I also tried another one of my older games worms 2 without any crashes either. I know I tried others that didnt crash that I had on before I did a fresh format. If you did have some that crashed Disable DSGX2.5 when you do that they will stop crashing.But I haven't had to do that my self. But then you did have the Xonar DX which is known to have issues where the higher model ones doesn't Since I did see your issues from people on asus forum when I usually stop by there to see whats going on etc.

Some games where eax5 is correctly done in the game EAX5 emulated sound as good as actual eax5 to me,but in games where the game devs didnt do a good job of putting eax5 in the engine like kane and lynch is where it isnt.

But I don't agree with Kaleid because I didn't have any of his issues at all in older games as well. Unless the no EAX 3-4 issue but then I dont care if I dont have those I knew what I was loosing for higher sound quality. Basic this If you want actual EAX3-5 which you only get from a X-FI chipset then a Forte/prelude now if you care for highest sound quailty but dont mind emulated eax5 or don't care that much about eax then Asus Xonar ST/STX. Either way both Forte/prelude and Xonars are great cards and you aint gonna go wrong with either of them. Just go for one that has what your looking for.

Edit: I forgot to add this when I had my Auzentech X-FI it would crash Unreal tourment 3 when openAL was turned on, when I had my old old old X-FI Xtreme music still in another computer it did the same thing.Some times when I use my Dad's computer with his Xtreme gamer I would have static sound off and on.

I know I had major issues with the Xtreme music many years before but I dont quite remember. I also did have Via issue with a older creative card as well. I currently do have issues with a external usb Sb live 24bit sound card with the netbook I using since I rmaing my motherboard. Which doesn't work that well still with latest drivers from earlier this year.Which why I rather not use it with the netbook.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  18. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Nothing wrong with Creative sound cards. As the problem WAS with Nvidia and their Nforce boards. I put my Titanium PCI-e into my X58, and I had absolutely NO issues.

19. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    It is NOT a NVIDIA problem, as I've seen chipsets from ASUS, Via, and Biostar run into the same SCP issue. Futhermore, even the Titanium (PCI-E) is not immune from SCP (meaning its not a PCI bandwith issue after all...). Its more prevelent on some boards then others.

Also, the only game that breaks with GSDX that I know of (other then some really crappy Koei ports that Alchemy doesn't work with either) is Crimson Skies, which is solved by turning off GSDX. And considering my PC libaray is close to 100 games, I'd say thats pretty impressive...

20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Yea gamer2k I forgot about those crappy Koei ports as well.