Should I get the 8800GT?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ryman03, Oct 31, 2007.

1. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    PLEASE dont get the card because some review. If I were you I would return the GTS and WAIT till the end of NOV-DEC. Just maybe more to pick from.

2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    If you don't get a card based on a review then what do you buy it based on? Marketing on the boxes? Haha. Reviews from reputable sites are some of the most valuable information for consumers and you are oblivious to imperfect knowledge in economics if you disagree.

3. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Get the 8800GT, it is worth it. Increased performance, lower power consumption, less heat and the impoved video decoding with VP2 (that your GTS does not have.) Ragardless of what someone else was trying to state, you will get better performace, and in some cases it will be very nocticable.

4. Krizby

Krizby Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 1080ti
    lol, why shouldn't you get the 8800GT is the main question. Stick on a Thermalright HR-03 and overclock it and you have got an 8800Ultra at 300usd. Hopefully the volt modding is as easy to do as with the 7900GT, it could be awesome.

5. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    If you plan on playing Crysis on high details then the 8800GT is a must have IMO;)

6. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more

Well you are living prooff lol. Key words "reputable" "most valuable". Reviews are sometimes no better than ads on TV or reading the paper. Instead of looking more into it they (the readers) believe word for word. Dont worry about it the GT is a wonderful card when you cant run at higher rez. Anyway this is not about you or me but the guy that asked if he should buy a GT..

Like I said hold off till the end of Nov you will be happy you did.

7. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    yes, i now regret buying my 8800GT, because it's going to be utter **** compared to the new 8800GTS (in fact, the new 8800GTS will be 4x more powerful than any card out there). :(

/end sarcasm

but seriously, the only demanding game that we have encountered so far is Crysis. Every other game out there doesn't even come close to being as demanding as Crysis, so all the more to just get a card now. I can guarantee you that we won't be seeing any other truly demanding game until next year (probably Q2). So there's nothing wrong with getting a 8800GT now, but if you really want raw power for just one game, wait until the new 8800gts is out. And if it can't tame Crysis, wait until the 9xxx cards are out, because [sarcasm]spending money on any card that struggles with Crysis is a waste.[/sarcasm]

8. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    lmao.. sorry but oh yeah its the same as an ultra or even a GTX. You should should have just keep going with this. Tell him the 57 memory bw is just as good as the 103 in the ultra or the 112 processors are = to the 128 or the 512 memory = 768.. blah blah blah. Trust me, get alot of stuff going on in a game and it makes all the difference in the world.

9. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    oh, and i'm sure that i've stated this before, but knowing the lot of you, you choose to ignore it, memory bus only affects how much performance lost from applying AA and AF can be reduced. If memory bus was so important to performance, how come the 2900XT, which boasts a 512-bit memory bus, doesn't demolish the 8800GTX?

So please, people need to get rid of the impression that 256-bit or 320-bit makes a world of difference in performance, because the only thing it affects is the AA and AF performance hit

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    He is telling the truth, I've posted benchmarks all over these forums so just look around at a few topics and you'll see how close the 8800GT and the 8800GTX/Ultra really are. With volt mods it would definitely not be out of the reach of the 8800GT to surpass the 8800 Ultra.

11. DarkPoee

DarkPoee Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1660 Ti
    wtf karl ? u are being kinda biased imo and the intention here is to help the buddy ryman to make a good decision and having in mind the change wont cost him anything and that he will get a newer card i think ur res argument is pointless :S, besides that even in some of the benchs you yourself posted theres like 40 fps diff in some games, i admit ur card its great and i wish i had one from a year ago but that isnt a reason to be biased and misguide a person to make a not so wise decision =\

12. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    if its not costing you anything............GET IT!!!!!

13. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    /thread

14. kpo6969

kpo6969 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    My 2 cents. Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it.
    My 8800GT (Evga SC) is being delivered today and it's the best choice for me. Lately I've seen alot of Ati users jumping ship to Nvidia over the 2900 series issues. I'm sure the 8800GT will have it's own issues.
    Somewhat amusing are the 7900 series hold-outs who now "see the light" and now proclaim the 8800GT as the best thing since sliced bread. Some even go to great lengths to dis-associate themselves from past viewpoints, even trivial things like changing their avatar and deflecting attention away from the above stated circumstances.

15. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Where are you guys finding these magical 8800GT in the USA? Didn't see any in stock so I got a 8800GTS 320 gonna OC it. But wtf nVidia? :cussing:

16. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080
    they pretty much sold out the day they hit. GL finding one :p

17. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I've found a few at some online retailers. They're wanting 299.99 for them though so I guess I'll be waiting. Man I can't wait though, plus I already own the HR-03. I was thinking about splurging for a GTX before this card came out, and then it ends up being $250 AND my HR-03 fits it? This is double bonus. Nvidia hooked us up bigtime. I'm just wondering what's coming down the pipe, maybe that 1 billion transistor/teraflop monster they were talking about a while back? I totally see why ATI sold themselves to AMD. They would never have survived this by themselves.

18. charliehamster

charliehamster Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    I got my 8800gt yesterday and it`s an amazing card for under £200. My only complaint is that the Fan is incredibly noisy at 60-100% speed

19. xvPsyKovx

xvPsyKovx Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT SC
    i just ordered mine from the evga site :bigsmile:

20. dechan

dechan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6870 1gb WF OC
    cant wait until i get mine