Should I get a X58-based 1366 motherboard or wait?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by mystiky, Oct 24, 2010.

1. mystiky

mystiky Active Member

I am considering building a new system, and would like to hear from some others if I should wait 4 months or just do it now.

I am interested in getting the following motherboard:

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel - which uses the Intel ICH10R South bridge. I know that this MB is fully compatible with the Hexa-Core Gulftown processors, so I can always move to those later.

and using it now with either the:

Intel Core i7 950 Intel Core i7 950 Quad-Core (4 x 3.06GHz) CPU
    or
    Intel i7-940 Intel Core i7 Processor i7-940 2.93GHz 8MB LGA1366

I realize that the Intel will not release a MB chipset that will have the USB3 built-in until about a year from now.

So, is there any point of waiting a few months, or should I just go for it?

2. ariskar

ariskar Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080
    wait for a sandybridge or a bulldozer platform as neither Intel 1366 or AMD SAM3 will be compatible with new CPU's (not upgradable). If it's an urgency... consider also the mainstream intel platform with i7 8xx CPU

3. mystiky

mystiky Active Member

They are saying SandyBridge will be in Q3 of 2011, so that's a whole year of waiting. Also, why would I want a i7 8xx rather than i7 9xx ?

Thanks for the response.

4. bstaletic

bstaletic Member

GPU:
    nVidia / GTS 250 / 1 GB
    He sad buy i7 8xx if it's an urgency, so you'll spend less money and save money for sandy bridge, if's not an urgency wait for sandy bridge.

But if you have to buy it now buy i7 900 and be happy with it, because it has enough power for enything at the moment.

5. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    As far as USB 3, you can use an add-in card if that becomes a necessity.

6. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    I recently picked up i7 950 for 290 Canadian bucks which isn't bad at all if you ask me...

7. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    get a i7.
    waiting for sandy bridge aint worth it tbh.

8. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    depends wat rig u have, if itz a decent quad-core CPU and board I'd wait

9. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Don't do it, I'm dying to upgrade too, but the cost of the mobo/ram/cpu is too high to justify the performance increase, especially given early benches that show the lowest sandy bridge i5 easily matching the i7-870 and i7-930 in games.

The socket is also EOL, if you buy now, your next upgrade will cost you twice as much as you will have to by all 3 components again, whereas sandy bridge or AM3+ will last longer.

I know it sucks, but just tough it out and live with the bottleneck for a while longer, the 1155 socket is coming out in Q1, and there will be unlocked i7's for it.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    if i was in the situation as the Op i would wait tbh,i went from a p4 3.2-7800gt to an i7 920 c0 and 2x 280gtx in sli....sometimes waiting is worth it.

11. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Go for the I7 930 its the cheapest and you can overclock on air past the fastest stock spead Intel chip. You dont need those 6 cores, a grand isnt worth what you get out of it unless you want to pay for bragging rights. You wont see any increase in performance if all you do is game with it.

I think sandy bridge isnt going to be that big of a leap in performance unless your on a dual core rig. They put up the same hype when the I7s were heading to release. Turns out they arent all that much faster than the Core 2 quad except in certain areas. If you already have one of those dont bother, the price to performance ratio is a waste.

I went from an AMD 3200XP 2.2ghz with 2 gigs of DDR ram and an ATI 9800 XT so the jump was odviously sick for me. Of course I upgrade only when I cant play the newest games with atleased half the detail on or some new tech strictly prohibits it.

I'm almost 2 years into having an I7 and I havent ran into any problems yet so I may push it even further this time around if the hardware last that long.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010