Should I force "Rebar" in games that aren't on Nvidia's approved list?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Jul 4, 2022.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070

Apparently Nvidia doesn't have very many games that they "officially" enable Rebar for even if your card supports it. As far as I know, AMD's solution on the other hand works globally.

You can force Rebar using Nvidia Profile Inspector, but I've not really seen much comprehensive testing for unsupported titles, but it does seem to clearly help in some at least. Anyone test this out at all?

akbaar and DanielRX like this.
  2. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
  3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I think it generally works without bad side effects if your system can handle rBAR well in general. Though it seems to increase total physical VRAM usage with some titles, and if they have a somewhat fixed threshold for when they clear data, it can affect performance when that threshold is exceeded more often/quickly. This seems to be the case in Watch Dogs Legion, it seems to throw out less data while driving without rBAR with less stutter accordingly.

BlindBison likes this.
  4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    The problem with AMDs solution is that you can't disable it for games that don't work well with it.

Yes, we've been doing it since resizable BAR was first enabled in Nvidia's drivers and there have been threads on it on this forum as well. :)

For some games it can give large boosts, I've noticed it really helping to boost and stabilize FPS in many games at high resolutions, especially demanding VR games. But there are some games where it has can have a negative effect, too (even some games where it's enabled by Nvidia/AMD by default where they run better when it's disabled).

BlindBison likes this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks a lot, that's helpful! I wish Nvidia would simply add a global/per profile toggle for Rebar in the control panel. Having to do the whole "3 flags in inspector" part is sort of annoying. Ideally there'd just be a global option with ('recommended/let the app decide' versus ON versus OFF) that they'd let you set in their official app seems to me.

If I'm ranting on great options Nvidia excludes from their default control panel, I also find it super unfortunate that true half refresh v-sync is buried in inspector (the default control panel only has adaptive half refresh which doesn't play nice with the low lag v-sync blur buster's trick and all), but that's an issue for another time lol.

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    upload_2022-7-4_20-8-12.png
    Just a direct picture for anybody that wants to tinker with this.

Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Using rebar would be an upheaval for my OS installs to execute and I havent seen a reason to bother yet such that its been off my radar.
    My games all run fine without any change.

Maybe I'm missing something?

BlindBison likes this.
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Going off some of the tests I've seen on YT from HW Unboxed for some example (it's been awhile, but assuming I'm remembering right), some games benefit a lot in terms of their 1% lows when Rebar is active. Now, by a lot I mean like 8% in some cases, but that's quite meaningful seems to me. Other games see no difference or even a very slight regression from what I gather (this is probably why nvidia has their list approach I imagine).

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No. It's blocked in the majority of titles because enabling it would lower performance and/or introduce stutters.
    Thus far I haven't seen any games in which enabling it via driver bits would improve anything to any noticeable degree.

Skinner and BlindBison like this.
  10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    No difference to "whitelisted" games.

BlindBison likes this.

11. SyntaX

SyntaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Looks lik a DOA Feature @ Nvidia.

BlindBison likes this.
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its not an NVidia feature.

mbk1969 and BlindBison like this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Radeon gpus showing such a big increase in some games and not so big in others it can get ugly if amd improve up on it with rdna3 and zen4. Meanwhile nvidia have those inicial whitelisted 15 games a year ago lol

BlindBison likes this.
  14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It's 20. ;)
    But yes, a blacklist would make more sense. Even if it's often just ~3%, no idea why they waste this.

BlindBison likes this.
  15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Yeah, I noticed this as well when "trying" to force the 3 flags. It seemed to make no difference whatsoever in the titles I tested so I wondered if it was even enabled at all to begin with.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Rebar will have more impact when Directstorage is available and transactions above 256MB are desirable.

user1, akbaar, BlindBison and 3 others like this.
  17. SyntaX

SyntaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    "Nvidia" added this "Feature" to the Driver/BIOS, so this Feature looks now like DOA. Added just for Marketing after AMD has used it so successfully. Satisfied now :rolleyes:

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    How much "successfully"? Twice more FPS?

AMD added this feature for marketing too. Feature is as old as PCI Express bus.

BlindBison and cucaulay malkin like this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/394...e-rates-for-free-resizable-bar-explained.html
    The "Feature" doesnt belong to NVidia, AMD etc, its part of the PCIE spec.
    Nvidia, AMD and Intel added support for it.
    It isn't an NVidia feature.

BlindBison likes this.
  20. SyntaX

SyntaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Why so Smartass like?, they added support to the Driver, never said they invented it.

It feels so "half developed" that it is currently only released for 20 games. The user officially has no control over on or off in Control Panel. The list does not grow.

I'd rather not say more. It feels here some seem to be immediately offended if you say something positive about AMD.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022