Should I ditch the 7950s for a single GPU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by michaelmk86, Jun 16, 2015.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    John could do the job, no doubt, AMD would have to make worth his time though. Working on something with no backing (like RadeonPro) was always going to end up with him just giving up, unfortunately.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's where the hiring part goes. Let him create the "advanced view" CCC.

3. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    AFAIK John is working for AMD. He helped develop Raptr.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, Raptr is dead though. AMD need an Inspector alternative before anything else. Do people actually use Raptr? I know I never did.

5. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    It's crap bloatware.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Some people here said AMD can't do anything because he works for a partner (Raptr) and not for them directly.

A so close partner they are able to include their crap in the drivers bundle.

I still don't get the purpose to shutdown the RadeonPro development by contract, Raptr is not including features similar to RadeonPro ones.

IMHO it's a pile of excuses and nonsense.

:3eyes:

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    He's not working for AMD.

Apart from the contract, there is the issue of time.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks to share some of your background.

Obviously if we talk about different settings we'll get different results.

For me "full settings" mean ALL settings MAXED, not half settings maxed (in game graphic settings) and half turned off (in game advanced graphic settings).

:nerd:

What is the meaning of "for 60+fps at full settings at 1440p in GTA V" for you?

All advanced in game settings turned off?

Keep in mind that a CFX 290X (we both own) can't reach 60FPS (or even stable 50 FPS) with ALL settings maxed at 1080p in this game in all scenarios (outside, driving).

AMDMatt who has a QUAD 290X can't do it at 4K/60, he needed to turn off some settings to reach stable 50 FPS as he posted time ago.

Thanks for the link to HH review, there you can see the result from 295X2 who is basically a 290X CFX are really ahead of Fury and Fury X at 1440p 2xMSAA:

103 FPS for 295X2(290X CFX), 74 FPS Fury X, 70 FPS Fury.

As HH said there:

No MAXED settings, no ultra settings and no word about all advanced in game settings so i suppose they are turned off or at least distance.

Do you still think a Fury is enough "for 60+fps at full settings at 1440p in GTA V"?

:)

9. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    get a fury x def

10. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    Yes. At 1440p a Fury will be enough. If they feel they need a second Fury then the option is there and the Fury has some of the best multi-GPU scaling available :)

Next question!

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Enough for what?

Thanks to answer at least one of the questions but you left the most important behind:

If this is not clarified even an APU can play GTA V at 1440p at "full settings" if "full" means "full low" and turned off.

:)

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Wait, so Joe doesn't work for AMD?

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Why are you recommending a card slower than the 980ti?

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I understand he works for AMD cause he has the "AMD rep" under his nickname.

He considers himself a "gamer":

Like in : "I'm a gamer like you"

?????

IDK maybe that means he is not going to "sell" us marketing BS like a "regular" salesman.

That will be apreciated.

:D

15. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Actually these guys are not sales guys. Usually what they do is look at customer feed back and report back.

They might out of generosity chime in with what they think about a certain product, and he was being honest, single gpu setup is the better option. Less of a hassle, bugs and driver issues.

The fury handles gta v well at 1440p at 60+ fps with all settings maxed except for msaa and advanced settings.

16. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    FreeSync! HBM! LiquidVR!

Naa I kid :)

So you want to know a little bit more about me ey. Right then, where to start...University!

Back in 2000-something I was studying medical biology. The course was long and the people were dull. To keep myself entertained I played a lot of *gulp* xbox 360. Mainly Call of Duty. I got good at it and eventually competed in the UK Championships. Spoiler: I lost. After packing away my gear with my head hung in shame I started talking to the Activision rep at the bar. He mentioned that he had about £5K available on his tab and said I could have whatever I wanted. After dismissing the idea that he was trying to groom me, I took him up on his offer and got thoroughly drunk. This is when everything changed. Topped up with liquid confidence I talk this Activision rep that I wanted to hang up my control pad and do what he does, even though I didn't know what he did. 1 month later I'm working for a top PR agency in the UK, launching Modern Warfare 3. At this point I dropped out of university and focused solely on PR'ing COD.

Yes. I was a PR. For COD. Forgive me for I have sinned.

Skip forward a few PR roles in entertainment, fashion, publishing and oddly enough the drinks industry, I found myself looking after Kingston Technology although this was a short term contract. During this time a bunch of friends I grew up with told me to cash in my console (made like £20) and get myself sorted with a PC. A bank account emptying purchase later (I wasn't earning much) I had my first PC and HO-LY-**** was I surprised as to why I hadn't done this sooner! More precise controls, flexibility of setups (screens etc), alt-tab :O This was awesome. I started playing SC:2, WoW, LoL, CS:Source. All the stuff you normally see trending on Twitch.tv (when it was Justin.tv)

Cut forward another year and I'm now PR-ing for AMD. Usual crap. Send review product here, send press release there etc etc. After a while I decided that I really liked AMD. I liked the people I worked with, I liked the passion they had, and I liked its products. Now I'm not the kind of person to say AMD is the best, better than all the rest - But the can be. So when they approached me offering the role of UK community manager I was like "errr hell yeah!".

So this is where I am now. A job title with AMD on it, talking to people that love gaming and love PCs, looking for new and exciting things that the community comes up with. I can't sell you guys on a product as I'm just not that technical enough. I want to see what the community comes up with when using an AMD product and share that with other members of the AMD community. I'm not tech support, I'm not sales, I'm not even a PR anymore. I'm a community manager and that's pretty god damn awesome.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to play some Dirty Bomb and watch season two of Marvel's Agents of Shield (it's good don't judge)

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Is it even in stock?

18. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Thanks Joe, I appreciate the time you took to give us some background.

As community manager it would be great if you could convey some things that the community sorely wants:

1. A decent tweaking tool for AMD fully endorsed by AMD. A perfect example of this is RadeonPro.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    This is a good question.

Why they manufactured so few Fury X for product release?

Lack of confidence?

This short supply (if any) and the reviews comparing it to 980Ti has made the sales of the latter skyrocket cause brands are making 980Tis like donuts!

If he was able to convince AMD to hire John from his partner (Raptr) and make him work in driver team to give us something usable in regard to advanced settings like frame rate control, vsync and custom CFX,ect...

Dream is free.

I know.

:(

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  20. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I think it's more the fab process. Fury is a complex chip and the yield rate is surely low due to it.