Should I buy an eVGA 7800GT CO SE for 170$?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Seongmin, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    I already got it and updated my sig :). Now I need to find my artic silver to apply for the 3400+... Btw, if I were to apply some of the paste on the core of the video card, would I notice a significant temp drop and increase in overclocking?!?

Btw, how long do you guys estimate before I have to upgrade to play games at a decent resolution of 1024 x 768? A year or two?

2. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Perhaps. It depends on if you use AA, AF, what detail levels, and stuff like that.

How much delta you'd see if you put AS on the GPU core, that depends on what kind of job is on there now. I've seen them range anywhere from pretty decent to really really poor. If you have load temps in the 60C or low 70C range, I probably wouldn't bother.

3. candle_86

candle_86 Guest

depends, but i wouldnt do it unless you have a good reason to do it.

4. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    Oh, I'll just let it be then.

Man, this is such a bummer. I just got back with some silver 5 and threw the HSF on my cpu. I can't even get it to hit 2.7... Darn.

5. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Well, all chips overclock differently. AS5 won't make a huge difference in overclockability, if at all. The only reason why it would is if it allows you to run a bit more voltage while keeping you within your personal preference temperature envolope, but most certainly under the max temperature.

6. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    Oooh. I'm running the cpu at 2.6 ghz, at 1.65 volts. I'm testing for stability before I try to go any higher.

7. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

What are your load temperatures?

8. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    For some reason, the DFI is giving me incorrect temp readings. Not sure if a third party program would work, but I'm going to have to give it a try. My comp is seriously starting to piss me off so I'm going to go ahead and do 1.7 volts and if it dies, I'm going to upgrade to Conroe and a Crossfire setup.

9. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    Btw, I forgot to note that I changed the voltage to 1.675 to see what would happen and when I run prime (that is, when the cpu is under 100% load), CPU-Z reports that I'm actually running 1.648. Which one should I believe?!? Also, I'm running the cpu at 1.7 volts but CPU-Z again reports below the setting in bio (CPU-Z displays 1.68).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  10. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but the measurement you should believe is one provided by a calbirated digital multimeter. That is the only reliable way to read voltages inside a computer as sensors can be very innacurate. Some sensors are good, but you can only know that if you verify with a DMM/voltmeter.

But if you were to rely on sensors, I'd go with the highest reading to be on the safe side.

11. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    Okie dokes. Thanks for the quick replies btw.

Well, looks like the CPU is going to be sitting at 215 (2.59 ghz) at 1.6 volts. I will see 2.6 soon though (somehow, some way).