Shift 2 Unleashed terrible performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mad_max911, Mar 31, 2011.

1. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    I've uninstalled ****2 because its not as good as SHIFT1 at the moment.

It will be when they can be bothered to fix it.

I really mean this now, if games continue to function like this on th PC I will sell my rig and build a simple PC for work and Internet access.

Then i'll buy the best TV and run with a 360 or PS3 for racing games and FPS.

I'm that pissed latley.

If Dirt3 turns out to be pants and NO dual GPU support, Im off.

2. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Looks like EA rushed out Shift 2 hence it current state of polish due to the next NFS game ALREADY being touted for a Nov release. NFS The Run (which doesn't even compete in the same genre as Shift 2) is all about getting from West Coast to East Coast to try to get a life...

Hmm I think they need to work on the advertising tagline...

As for Shift 2 I get a boost in performance on my currently unhappy rig, but reports are consistant that high end hasn't been addressed yet.

EDIT: The functions involved to get reflections and shadows of the quality below are why Shift 2 is so much more immersive than GT5/Forza3/DiRT2 et al...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  3. MoodyB

MoodyB Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 6870 IceQ
    It was probably released before it was quite ready so it could be included in EA / SMS's end of the financial year report / accounts at the start of April.

Look as what Ubi did with IL2 - Cliffs Of Dover. Game was an early beta if anything, but they knew the devs would patch it so put it out early to get some of the development costs back.

We all seem to forget that games are created to make money, not to please our individual needs / wants.

Not all developers have a tardis for their wallet, like Value & ID seem to.

4. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Agreed but there is always the pressure of marketing two games from the same franchise so they probably wanted Shift 2 out before they started marketing The Run as well despite the franchise basically having two separate branches now.

5. MoodyB

MoodyB Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 6870 IceQ
    True. It would have been better if they hadn't used NFS in the first Shift's title & just made it a seperate brand to begin with, rather than doing it down the line when it's already associated with that brand in a persons memory, and probably will be for quite some time.

6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If you are getting black grass after the update check the shift2u.exe to see what version you have.

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    Guess you werent around when dirt 2 came out? Game was the tits. Worked great with dual gpus. Hell even sli 7800 gt ran the game. I even did xfire hd 3850 256. :) Dirt 3 will be awesome. Codemaster actually seems to care about pc crowd alot more then others. Hell while it wasnt impressive dx11 support, we got it. And the game runs great on lower hardware. Dirt 3 will be awesome. I guess I am just lucky or the way I run shift 2 but it runs pretty damn good with min jaggies. 35-55fps depending on track and nighttime. All before patch. But i use radeon pro for aa stuff and disabled in game aa and it looks better and runs better.

8. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    I'm not a hardcore car racing fan. But Dirt 2 is by far my favorite since I don't use a controller and will never be buying a wheel and stick. Dirt 2 is a lot of fun when I'm bored for a few minutes and just using the keyboard.

Shift 2 is definitely a different crowd. Dirt 2 was very accessible and well supported. So everyone from casual like me with keyboard to the hardcore with wheel can have fun. Shift 2 seems to be more of the hardcore fan. And also needing the hardcore rig since it's so unoptimized.

DX9 game requiring the best DX11 hardware has to offer? That's ridiculous.

9. kipp73

kipp73 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD5970 2gb
    you clearly never owned F1 2010 then..

10. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Patch did nothing foe me.

11. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Game still runs great on both my systems? Im not sure what you guys are talking about. And IMHO, Shift 2 is the best driving game ever. Nothing has ever come close to realism as this one. Shift1 sux compared to this game.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Eloquent

13. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi....

Ati 11.4 WHQL Drivers and Shift 2 Unleashed Dark Cockpit, Playing on XP Sp3 with 11.4 Cockpit is so Dark , bit with 11.3 drivers it was ok, Same thing happens on Windows 7x64 and 11.4 have poor Framerates compared to 11.3 drivers....... Going Back to 11.3 drivers on XP.... Patched the Game to Latest version 1.0.1.0...... No Performance Improvements.

14. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I was going to say the same thing! Dirt 2 runs like a beautiful beast on any of my rigs. F1 2010 just runs slower on my htpc but it runs better than dirt 1 did back in the day. Grid and Dirt 2 were there best performing games for me. I think dirt 3 will run silky smooth and they will figure out the issues they are having with f1 2011.

15. kipp73

kipp73 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD5970 2gb
    my post was in response to the suggestion that codemasters care about pc customers.
    f1 2010 was gimped on retail, then the (only) patch they released changed the game from a beta to an alpha.

f1 2010 has stopped me even considering dirt3

16. kazama

kazama Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X
    Finally im running the game smooth.

Im running 11.4 whlq + 11.3 cap 5.

Patched 1.0.1.0 shift 2.

In game all maxed, AA disabled, 1900 resolution, vsync on.

With radeon pro profile.

AA 4x override
    AF 16x
    Unbox surface format optimizacition
    Texture filtering quality - high quality
    Mipmap quality high - high quality
    Flip queue size 1
    Driver compatibility 10.10a (check D3D and CFX)
    Force Crossfire profile 3Dmark05
    mvpumode alternate framerendering

I checked to disable aero and force process high priority.

Running constant 60 frames, no dark cockpit and no flickering :banana:

17. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    Try with VSync off to see what min/max FPS you are getting, would be very good to know :)

18. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Go chipsy go.

As denero said in Goodfellas"dont take no **** from anybody"
    :)

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    Actually I do own it. And even on my system has always run great. Even before the patch. Not everything they do is gonna be spot on or perfect. Devs are human just like us. I wasnt even that mad with Dirt1 on pc. Ya it ran crappy on my system at the time but the patches helped. I understand where you come from, but saying they dont care at all is pretty damn naive. If they didnt, no pc game, no dx11, or any patches. They would be console whores. Simple.

20. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Yea, I was around with Dirt1 and Dirt2.:puke2:

Just that I hope Codemasters dont start falling the same way that EA have.

Looking forward to it and I agree, its looks the Dogz-bollocks