Shift 2 Unleashed terrible performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mad_max911, Mar 31, 2011.

1. mad_max911

mad_max911 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4850@900/1230
    I'm really disappointed with performance in shift 2 unleashed. In shift 1 i can easily get constant 60 fps with max settings @ 1920x1080 resolution, and the game looks just nice, while in shift 2 i'm getting 20-30 fps :bang: even on medium settings (as on high), and game looks just terrible compared to shift 1 (AA doesn't seem to work, bad quality image). I have tried 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 preview drivers. Any help would be appreciated...

2. silis

silis Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X 8G
  3. mad_max911

mad_max911 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4850@900/1230
    I don't get it how they could **** this up. They had good engine (as for graphics) in shift 1 that could easily be reused in shift 2 with some additional features... And they manage to make this game look worse and perform worse than original game....

4. DEATHxxHIPPIE

DEATHxxHIPPIE Guest

GPU:
    2 5850's
    kind of a trend in gaming these days

5. silis

silis Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X 8G
    This pc gaming stuff is total disaster nowdays i remember 2006-2008 games did run so much better and smoother. This is almost every f*cking game with some kind of performance issues or stutters etc etc.. pisses me off big time.

6. mad_max911

mad_max911 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4850@900/1230
    Thanks god there are graphics cards like radeon 6990 on market that can't be fully used (there potential power). (or there are games fully UNoptimized fot that matter), LOL

7. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    thats the why im thinking to do not upgrade my rig....

8. silis

silis Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X 8G
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Heheh yeah guys same here i've been planning to upgrade my rig to intel but what the hell that does help with these games. feels so bad to upgrade and still have the issues. But sandy bridge is great and i think im going for it.

9. mad_max911

mad_max911 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4850@900/1230
    To silis: Depends, if u are gaming on multiple monitors or very high resolution and want 120+ fps (if yours monitor support it), or for rare titles like metro 2033, then go for it... :). Otherwise, don't bother.

10. silis

silis Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X 8G
    Ye, i have samsung 2233rz 1680x1050 lcd. I've have to survive with that monitor by some time when i get sold my other older stuff to get 120hz 1080p lcd.

11. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    i agree, same graphics but 1/4 of the fps

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Consolitis. Nothing is PC oritented these days, its all about consoles, then the game makers wonder why piracy is so high - why would someone want to pay full price for an oridinary game with ordinary console like graphics that runs crap on their mid to high end rig? Or people with rigs that should be able to run it, but can't - a waste of money.

13. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    yes that is true, however if u look at ps3 native games u see that the graphics are in a different league of xbox360 native games or multiplatformed craps... when a console is powerfull it will have no impact in pc graphics but when we are in 2011 and games are still first natively developed by such an old hardware as xbox360 with no headroom for the future since day 1, things like this happens.
    PC community is not the only one suffering from this problem, for instance, in general all ports from xbox360 to ps3 use only the ps3 main ppe core and leave the spe cores dead... thats like having a dual gpu card with only 1 running in almost all games...

I have had my gfx card for 2 years and i still barelly find reasons to waste my money on a new one these days... multiplatform games for my pc, native ps3 games for my ps3 and thats fine for me.

14. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    On a lighter note please dont forget to download your free Shift 2 DR Pepper DLC from http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/ .

remember... I posted the link for the free Dr Pepper code generator in Jan 2011 to say thank you.... hope you kept some codes :)

15. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Game is looking and running great on both my systems? So what are you experiancing? User error maybe? :p

16. ryanrrx

ryanrrx Guest

GPU:
    ATI 5850
  17. hopeful

hopeful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE
    You haven't unlocked any hidden method or solved any mystery.

The only thing you have listed in your setup that's any different than the box standard normal settings, is to have anti-aliasing set to manually override at the driver level, WITH edge detect enabled.

Ironically, you then say to keep the anti-aliasing set to 'application controlled.'
    You can't manually set AA and keep it to application controlled.

Furthering that, the edge detect destroys performance.

So to recap :

-Turning off AA in the game, and turning it on at the driver level, may increase the AA image quality, but it doesn't change the performance levels with any measure of significance.
    -Turning off Vsync has no effect on performance.
    -All other settings are what most people have by default.
    -Amendments to driver level settings does nothing to make a noticeable impact on performance overall.
    -Driver version does nothing to make an impact on performance overall.

If you remember, Shift 1 had a horrible issue performance problem when it launched, particularly in corners where your frames would crumble, and be even worse during a race with other vehicles.

It took the GPU designers to make hotfixes in accordance with two patches from EA before they got it fixed. Since this is the same graphics engine, than that solution is the first likely one to succeed.

Until then, we're stuck.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  18. dade_kash_xD

dade_kash_xD Guest

GPU:
    2x XFX DD R9-280x 3gb
    AMEN! You hit it right on the head! It almost seems like you'd be a fool to buy any PC game upon release date being that it takes almost a month for them to hash out the bugs and render the game at least playable. Prime examples: Black Ops & Crysis 2!

19. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    I just got this game and played for a few hours. I have everything set to this: No AA (for now) 16x AF, HQ mipmap and textures, v-sync, 1920x1200, everything at its maximum in game setting.

Right off the bat, it was smooth, no issues, slowdowns or stutters. My card is OC'd to 900/1200, and my CPU from 3ghz to 3.6 ghz.

I was expecting to have to make changes, but nothing is giving me any performance drops or issues, so my system must just make the cut. I'm going to give it 2xAA and see what happens then. If 2xaa works good, I'll keep the settings there, thats all I need.

20. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    Games used to have microstuttering like craaaaazy, old counter-strike, hl engine, all those games that were big back in the day stuttered, even if barely noticeable, since my 5850, nothing has happened, I've been so happy how things have been working out. Every game, even Crysis 2 runs with the settings I want for good IQ. Sure I OC the heck out of my system, and its perfectly tweaked and stable, but one thing I DID notice is the utter lack of any stuttering or slow downs, freezes, ect. I'm having the opposite experience as most of you are claiming, so I don't know, but some games back in the day of 1997-2003 never, ever were fixed. I mean, serious issues that were never worked on, but the thing was the community rallied and programmers would fix the games and then some. It was truly a fun time in the community, there was such a grand participation and connection with the companies and the gamers, now you have gamers who are wanna be PC techs who can't spend the time researching like PC techs do, because they are interested in gaming, not PC hardware. Whole new breed of people in the market compared with just 5-10 years ago, the companies need to adjust and realize the community has grown, but with common, average users, not experts or people who enjoy spending more time tweaking a game than playing it.