Shady Coffee Lake benches, and +Rep to Hilbert for honest testing.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by cryohellinc, Oct 12, 2017.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    In case you plan to jump on 8700k, take a look at this.

P.S.
    Major reviewers are now re-analysing their data, as an example Jayz in his recent video, or Steve @ Gamers Nexus

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    So what? Why would that affect anyone's decision to buy one?

MSI does this as well and as usual, the AMD zealots are trying to pass it off as a 'con'. It's not a con, it's a feature of the motherboard that some manufacturers enable by default and some do not.

Equally, it's important to note that it is the motherboard manufacturers that are doing this, not Intel.

Now, to be fair, in my opinion, this should be disabled by default because as AnandTech pointed out, some people want a green footprint etc.

As well, there should be a warning when it is enabled so that there is no confusion, even though in my experience, these low overclocks are never going to put you at risk unless you have rubbish cooling.

PS: How these people missed this is a little beyond me. If you are monitoring while testing, you can clearly see where the CPU is clocking, voltage, VRM temps et al.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its not a decision not to buy, but it should be off by default.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    This 'shady' option has been in the BIOS automatically enabled since sandy bridge for asus boards and some other high end boards.

Why is this news now?
    Conspiracy theories..

lucidus likes this.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Well, JayzTwoCents was informed by Asus that MCE is not enabled by default on their boards. He proved this to be wrong in his re-review of Coffee Lake, showing that it was indeed enabled by default. I find Asus' denial to be quite suspicious, as it suggests that they're doing this stealthily in order to look better than the others (also, because they deny doing it, they have no reason to include a warning).

6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Exact, absolute 'nothing burger'

Slam likes this.
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Yes, yes it would.
    Exactly.
    Except it was turned off by default, always.

8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It might well affect your decision to buy but it is not a 'con' like that AdoredTV guy is trying to make out that it is, clearly an agenda there.

If you're in the know about these things, this shouldn't come as any kind of a surprise.

As Agent-A01 said, it has been around for a quite a while now, it is nothing new.

Again, wrong. I have had MSI and ASUS boards shipped to me with that setting 'enabled' or set to 'Auto', so again, nothing new.

On the subject of why ASUS is denying it, you'd have to ask them about that. I would agree that it is a little bit strange.

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes, I think the word 'con' was a bit strong, as I don't think reviewers like Jay meant to post inflated scores. I don't think he had any intention to mislead and he had the good sense to post a corrected review (I respect him for his integrity, one of the reasons why I'm a follower of his channel). The thing is, I think he expected that the board he was using would use stock settings at default and was surprised that it didn't (if this is a standard feature of high-end Asus boards, guys like Jay didn't seem to be aware of it - most likely because Asus makes no mention of it).

Auto doesn't automatically mean that it's enabled though. I have a MSI Z97A Gaming 7 for my 4790K Haswell, and the enhanced turbo is off by default (I have to manually turn it on if I want the all-core enhancement, which I do since I want the extra power). I'm not sure when they started making it enabled by default but they should seriously stop it, as it forces an overclock out of the box.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Incorrect

I’ve had asus boards since sandy and they’ve always had multi core enhancement set to Auto.

Auto has pretty much always been enabled

Slam likes this.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Just to be clear, and as I said in the previous post, I have received boards set to 'Auto' and 'Enabled'. My last 2 X299 boards from MSI were both 'Enabled' out of the box.

Again, it is much ado about nothing imho but I will reiterate that it should be off by default as far as I am concerned.

The problem here is I think much of the 'concern' is from AMD users and as Jay quite rightly pointed out at the end of his revised video, since it is a 6 core Intel vs an 8 core AMD, should he disable two of the Ryzen cores in the interests of being totally 'fair'?

I don't care about this AMD vs Intel garbage myself but the sad result of it is a lot of unnecessary nitpicking and complaining.

12. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Agreed, like I went into a restaurant for breakfast and ordered two eggs, one fried and one scrambled. Wouldn't you know it, they scrambled the wrong egg!!!

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Seems pretty overblown, only major issue I see is potential instability for bottom tier sillicon, asus and others ought to be more careful, fact of the matter is though, if you are buying one of those high end mobos with a unlocked k sku if you aren't overclocking you're wasting your money.

14. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Just enable xmp and be done with it. This is all just related to benchmarking anyway and TBH it seems silly to me, why would anyone not want to set a CPU to its full potential for only benchmarking or otherwise.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Makes me wonder if ASUS gaming laptops have this feature enabled because gaming laptops create alot of heat by themselves they really do not need help with a feature like MCE.
    Especially the gaming laptops that support CPU Overclocking beyond the turbo boost feature.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Nope. ASUS gaming laptop owner here it is not enabled.

All core boost for me is 3.4 on my 7700hq. Wish I could set them to boost to 3.8 but don’t have that ability. Though my temps suck as is. I need to redo the thermal paste in my CPU and GPU. I’ve seen pictures of my exact laptop and the factory applied paste. It’s ugly and they don’t use thermal pads on the power delivery. If I replace with thermal pads and put a quality past in there people are reporting 15-20°C drops.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017