Shadows Of Mordor Crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by wrathloki, Sep 30, 2014.

1. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    That is some awesome commitment! Thank you Matt!

2. Fimconte

Fimconte New Member

GPU:
    2x290 Tri-X OC, 1050/1350
    What is the difference between 1x1 Optimize vs older modes like Supertile (my personal favourite since it seems to reduce stuttering to zero) or Scissor?

Edit:
    Ran the benchmark with your profile, didn't seem to get anywhere near those numbers:
    1x1 Optimize
    i dot imgur dot com/QfwHwpQ dot jpg

AFR was ~5fps higher average.

The 290 isn't as powerful as the 290X, but the difference shouldn't be that big.
    Are your numbers with the Ultra HD texture pack?

P.S. I'm using 14.4, maybe that's it?

P.P.S. I just realized, you're running 1080p
    I'm on a Catleap and 1440p is ~2x demanding so that's probably the reason why I get 80 vs your 160.. :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. Nurmi

Nurmi Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
    These results are with default CCC settings from fullscreen with flickering, and I noted that the windowed mode dips AFR friendly to 85.

1080p Ultra - FX-8370, 2x R9 290 +AFR friendly

• Average 111.51
    • Max 902.27
    • Min 12.11

1080p Ultra - FX-8370, 2x R9 290 +Optimize 1x1

• Average 88.88
    • Max 926.38
    • Min 4.76

4. kingal

kingal New Member

GPU:
    HIS 6950x2

So, yes, setting to AFR does make my benchmark average go from 60fps to 140fps, BUT in the actual game, the fps constantly drop to 10fps or lower and is basically unplayable. Disabling xfire makes the game run pretty much constantly at an average 60fps.

5. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Yes I'm using 14.9 WHQL and 1080P. :p

Regarding your other question, i will get back to you with an answer for that one.

Overclocking your cpu will help bring those averages up a bit.

Sorry to hear that. As above try 1x1 Optimize or the Batman crossfire profile. This should remove the flickering, at the expense of performance.

As soon as i have an update on when a driver will be coming with fixes i will let you guys know don't worry.

6. Illyrian

Illyrian Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Super
    Guys the menu flickering was fixed for me by switching from Fullscreen to Borderless.... no flickering anymore, and crossfire worked from day one for me.

Performs really well for me at 1080p im able to vsync it to 60 maxed out.....
    the issue I have with it is, not really any issue but just a curiosity because I'm not an expert but from my understanding I have 2 cards with 4gb vram each, so overall that means I have 4gb vram correct ?
    but now two things, the game menu reads my cards as having 8gb (8192mb) of Vram, and even stranger when MSI afterburner reads while I'm running the game I see that on High Texture settings I'm using around 5gb of vram, and on Ultra Texture I am using around 7 to 8gb of vram...
    this can't be right can it ?? it doesn't make any sense...

first how can the game even use more than 4gb of vram since that's all I have ??
    I just finished an hour long session on High texture settings, and I'm looking at MSI afterburner graph at my Vram usage, says max I used is 5468mb out of a possible 8192 mb... so even MSI afterburner is showing I got 8gb's of vram.... i dont understand

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  7. RiPLeY78

RiPLeY78 Member

GPU:
    7660g+7670m / cf 6950 2gb
    I am surprised with this post. In my understanding, crossfire doesn't work in borderless window, or at least, i could never make it work in any other game.

Are you saying that this game make crossfire work in borderless window mode?

8. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    RIPLEeY78 is correct, crossfire does not work in windowed mode under DirectX currently. However it does work in Mantle titles when using windowed/borderless mode. One of the great unknown features of Mantle.

9. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Damnnn this is something I did not realize. So much for color profiles.

10. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Member

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    Just spent 30 mins playing with different configs to work out how this performs best on my PC. (I've got 280X x2).

I played around with changing between Ultra and V.High and borderless and Full Screen. Strangely the benchmark gave me pretty much equal results of an average of 60fps @ 1080. (In fact I got 59ish on v.high and 60ish on Ultra.) Yet when I played in game on ultra stutter was a noticeable problem, both on quick pans around my character and in combat, drops down to 25ish weren't uncommon and therefore quite annoying. V.High however gave me a near solid 60 fps with only minor drops very occasionally.

I'm going to stick with v.high for now and do no more tweaking. I ruined Watchdogs for myself by constantly trying to work out if I could get CF to work with it. (I never did.). Hopefully AMD will get a profile for this out soon, and if so I'll test that out but that's going to be it for me.

Slightly off the topic of SoM but still on CF have to say I'm a little disappointed by CF. This was the first time I did it. I got my first 280X in Jan and stuff was running nicely on it, pretty much in Ultra on what I was playing (mainly BF4) just with MSAA turned right down. I got a little pay bonus so decided to go with CF thinking it would really ramp up performance, and I can't say I've found that at all on a consistent basis. Some stuff it works well with (Crysis 3 and BF4) but so many other games it just seems to have problems.

You guys are probably far more experienced with CF etc than I am, so maybe there's more I need to work out / understand. But for now I'm feeling in future I may just pay more initially and then live with that for longer, rather than looking to up performance sooner down the line via CF.

11. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    It might have been ultra textures giving you the stutter. People with less than 6gb cards have been saying that's an issue due to memory swaps. Also if you're looking to figure out how different settings affect performance you should turn vsync off to get a better idea.

12. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Member

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    I haven't downloaded the Ultra textures, didn't even bother after what I read about the memory swapping. I'm just comparing Ultra effects and V.high effects, which to be fair isn't clear in my post above.

The thing about turning vsync off, I've presumed that as I'm going to play with it on there was little benefit in seeing how high the fps could go without it applied. E.g. what's the point of knowing I could get say 90+ with it off if I know I'm going to play with it on and want to see if it will stutter? (That's a genuine question btw).

13. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    For ****s and giggles I guess. It is pretty weird that the benchmark would be so far off from gameplay for you on ultra. It was pretty dead on for me.

14. molokovellocet

molokovellocet New Member

GPU:
    280x/7970 CF @ 1070/1575
    This fix works nice I get 100fps now with crossfire compared to 60 single card. Flickering in the menus though.

15. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    After testing a few profiles I found one that works better than AFR Friendly. Set the crossfire profile to HK2207_DX11.exe. It has less flicker than AFR Friendly. Menus still go crazy but only half as much and the mountains don't flicker.

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Borderless disables crossfire here.
    When in crossfire your VRAM will appear doubled, just half it and that's the true used amount. It doesn't mean you have 2x VRAM.

17. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.

None of these profiles are increasing my minimum framerate of about 50fps. Can we expect that to increase with a real profile?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  18. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Good find. Does it boost fps at all?

19. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Same results as AFR Friendly except no flicker ingame (mountains and sometimes bosses) and the menu is more manageable.

20. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Great work sekta, i will spread the word. Thank you. :)