Shadow of the Tomb raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 27, 2018.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    there is something wrong about the lighting and the level of details, particle effects.., about lara s character detail, it feels plastic her model

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/991r39/german_pc_magazin_test_tomb_raider_with_rtx_2080/
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafi...ormance-in-Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-1263244/

There's a test now for Tomb Raider with a 2080Ti and the Ray Tracing effects on, seems it varies around 30 - 60 FPS at 1920x1080 so yeah it's a costly effect alright.
    From the comments it seems to be able to hit 60+ once the RT shadows are off though.
    (EDIT: Which confirms that the GPU is fast as hell but the effect is going to be very demanding to enable though it could be optimized a bit further via newer drivers or game tweaks of course.)

EDIT: Ah I see it's discussed over on Reset Era as well.
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/ra...-at-1080p-on-a-1200-nvidia-rtx-2080-ti.63321/

Hmm so the belief was that the RT Cores would negate the performance hit entirely? Instead of just being what was it? 5x faster than older cards? Yeah I can see people being a bit disappointed if they had those expectations then.

More benchmarks and tests of the game will be needed but eh it does confirm that ray tracing is no small feat even if it's only implemented for some effects or in this case it seems to only be one for the shadows. Still a impressive accomplishment hitting 30 FPS though even if the effect might be all kinds of optimized for how hard this is for real-time usage but also still really expensive to use.
    (But it's a start, newer hardware and newer games could do significantly better over time and more.)

EDIT: And a Dice developer also had a comment about it being optimized more in later drivers, makes sense. Going to be interesting then to compare the framerate hit with the launch drivers compared against this early result once the game is out. :)
    (Though this is Crystal Dynamics and Shadow of the Tomb Raider and not Battlefieldfield: V)

And the effect itself is also being patched in after the games release, that gives time too for additional tuning and performance optimizations. Good.

And even more interesting then to see benchmarks of how that runs in the final game.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Well AFAIK 30 fps was the target performance window for RT effects at the moment so no big surprise as such.

What I really want to know about the RTX cards is how fast they are versus 10 series without RT effects.

Hilbert, be a dear and steal some production samples for quick testing.

:D

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Yeah, fack RT... i just want it to be alot faster in regular tasks... i would much rather have had a 2080 ti without any RT cores and more shader cores instead !

Whiplashwang likes this.

5. hyperboarean

hyperboarean New Member

GPU:
    GTX 770M 3GB
    Is it just me, or did anyone else noticed all these RTX graphics have that plastic look?

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Well, 2080 Ti has 768 more cuda cores than 1080 Ti. You can draw the performance increase yourself.

7. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Based on released graphs from Nv it looks like CUDA cores are much faster now, and not to mention much higher memory speed. Standard RTX 2080 scores are much better than even 1080ti already, so it already suggest 2080ti will be very fast, probably around 45-50% faster than 1080ti at 4K, and with DLSS performance increase will be insane. Some reviewers like hardware canucks even have responded to negative commets in regards to 2080ti performance and basically wrote people will be positively surprised.

When it comes to RTX effects in tomb raider I can clearly see shadows are way too sharp without RTX (it's night time yet shadows are sharp like in sunny day) and not to mention some light sources doesnt cast shadows at all.

For example look at kid with candle in his arms, with RTX there's nice shadow behind him, while without RTX there's no shadow at all. Maybe some poeple dont pay attention to details like these but I do, and I really like what I'm seeing. Sure probably I will not play shadow of the tomb raider with RTX effects in the near future because of huge requirements, but someday I will buy RTX GPU for myself, and then I will be able to play with these effects. The thinig is, I like progress in technology, even if it's little, because little steps in the long run will also take you very far.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  8. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    One edition missing........CPY the bad guy......
    May be he/she will make "use" of the Tensor cores ;)

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Yeah, when there is no direct light from the sun, or other sources, Shadow of the tomb raider looks very bad... plastic'ish as you say.

10. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    Sorry if I tell you that but you took the worst example. That is pure and simple marketing. They deliberatedly disabled shadows on the kids to show that something like that would be possible only with RT. That is not correct at all, even with traditional shadows techniques you could get something similar but not with the same level of accuracy you could get with RT.

Dragam1337 and cryohellinc like this.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Also noticed that part, we had shadows like that for Ages long before RTX. To make an "impression" no RTX version had shadows disabled, while RTX simply turned them back on.

That's something called - cheap marketing. When the whole point of the demonstration is deception.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    It's not like you couldnt do it, but dynamic shadows with quality like that are expensive, so in reality no game before were using dynamic shadows from all light sources. That's also why even UE4 tech demos use limited amount of dynamic shadows because with dynamic shadows everywhere performance will be even worse than with RTX here in tomb raider. In tomb raider all lights not only cast dynamic shadows but also shadows without jagged edges at all. I can assure you, when you play tomb raider without RTX, you will find many light sources without dynamic shadows (not to meniton jagged shadows because even high resolution shadows are jagged) and there's nothing they can do about it.

Ray tracing is holly grail of graphics in games, without it photorealistic graphics will not be possible. 45-60 fps in tomb raider rather than 1 fps / 1 minute is a good start, and few years from now we will eventually get much better performance with more and more raytracing elements in games. Also to my understanding they have run RTX on RTX cores, so it's possible RTX cores performance basically bottlenecked the whole rest. So maybe 2080ti should get similar performance not only in 1080p but also higher resolutions. Personally I'm not against technology progress, and even when new technology (well raytracing is not new, but it's something new in games) is not perfectly implemented at the start, you have to start with something in order to go very far in the future. I cant udnerstand why so many people here are against progress.

It's PC platform after all and no one force anyone to turn on all details possilbe. As long as RTX effects can be truned off I dont see any problems with it. If for example new tomb raider would be a straight console port, people would compalin, and when it's using new RTX technology available only on PC right now people also complain :). I will probably not use RTX effects in near future for myself, but I'm not complaining and crying because one or two years from now when I will buy RTX GPU for myself I will use these features and test it finally.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  13. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    I am not arguing with that, namely that RT is gonna be the next huge step forward in graphics fidelity, I was just pointing out that showing the new effects in that way could be misleading, especially to those who aren't particularly tech-savvy. They made it look like "Hey look here! We are finally bringing shadows into videogames!", which is not that honest to say the least.

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Anything that is locked to one specific brand, will eventually die... especially when software developers has to do a crap ton of work, to get it working for just that one brand...

Nvidia rtx is NOT the future... games are primarily developed for consoles, all consoles use amd gpu's... so developers has to go out of their way to specifically include rtx for pc nvidia users only, which would cost them alot of money, for likely very limited gains.

15. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Developer Tips:

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I have the extra funds to grab up a game right now.
    There are two games coming out this year that I want, but because of my medical bills (Yay for getting older) I can't afford both.

But, I can't decide between this and Darksiders 3.

17. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    New trailer is up ;)

WhiteLightning likes this.
  18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  19. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Not to sound negative - but I wouldn't take statements such as "to be optimized with further drivers" to the bank as what you're seeing is what's been developed up until this point + these people are likely under an NDA with NVIDIA and couldn't say anything to hurt the performance of the product if they wanted to. (For now at least)

Speculating - I'd say there will be some slight increase in performance via optimization but not much until 2nd Gen RTX

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    AsiJu likes this.
  20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Initially I wasn't expecting too much from having the effect implemented quickly and rushed out but it does seem like this is going to come via a post-launch update so depending on how flexible the system is they might be able to optimize it fairly well.
    Though I am expecting it to still be the single most demanding setting for the game and due to the nature of how it works and what it does it's not going to be cheap even if the GPU has helper hardware via dedicated cores for handling some of the workload.

Will be fun to see benchmarks of it once available and then maybe over time as the 2000 series GPU drivers mature a bit and the game receives further patches. :)
    And this is only using the tech to enhance shadows and possibly only indoor scenes at that, 60 FPS at 1920x1080 is probably a good target but even that might be difficult short of degrading quality heavily so I'm expecting drops or variable quality.
    (Lessen the distance or accuracy in bigger scenes perhaps, resolution of the shadows and whatever other parameters it might have.)

Closer to release we'll probably see more about the tech, maybe after launch if it's going to be one of the additions from a patch a bit after release. *

* But this could also come from the game coming out in September (14th.) and if they're going via DirectX 12 then the system is going to need to be running on RedStone 5 / 1809 and that's coming out late September to early October for general release.
    Although it does give NVIDIA and Eidos time to work on it further too depending on what their plan for introducing it is, probably fairly close to release since the launch date of the new graphics cards should be the 20th I think it was.
    (So perhaps within a month or so to have one game out at least relatively close to the new hardware launching and with support for ray tracing functionality.)