Shadow of the Tomb raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 27, 2018.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Anyone else like me thinks this game is developped a bit cheaper than the previous game,somethinf about the graphics feels off, the last game was a glory graphics wise seems they dialed the numbers down a bit this time,, especially the particle effects

Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The animations aren't doing it for me. Not Mass Effect bad but clunky. Something's off.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Yeah, i've felt like that about the graphics aswell, ever since the first actual gameplay footage i saw. Seemed like the graphics were at best at the same level as rise of the tomb raider.

4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    waiting for Nvidia to reveal what Ray tracing will bring to TR

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    The tech itself focuses on ambient occlusion, reflections and shadows does it not? I'd guess a new form of ambient occlusion seems likely perhaps together with VXAO for existing hardware but if the game has a lot of water then enhancing reflections could be another option too, game does have underwater locations at least from what I'm seeing in the current screenshots.

The new temporal anti-aliasing tech is probably a bit too new but for owners of the 1180/Ti or maybe the 2080Ti coming next(?) it could be a nice boost in image quality and overall stability though then with the current 1080Ti also holding well at 4k using DSR from 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 is already a really good way to boost AA quality but probably not at 120 FPS or higher without dropping settings for users with 120hz or higher monitors although then you have G-Sync helping with drops like that. :)

HDR is probably also happening either via Windows 10 itself or through NVIDIA's API which would work on older OS's and maybe with less compatibility concerns if implemented well without having to go through however the current version of Windows 10 is handling things ha ha.

From the images the levels look to have gained in size or density being more populated and detailed though the console footage so far is not quite on par with Rise visually though that's comparing mostly the non-enhanced editions especially the patch for XBox One X being quite a upgrade on consoles and I guess come the 20th NVIDIA might have some videos showcasing their newer hardware and probably some of the games using them.

Such as this or Metro Exodus and probably others too.

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Graphics were great in previous two, if the new game looks roughly as good as predecessor i'm fine with that! What i love about this new trilogy is the story, plot, the acting, landscape and environnement, climbing. all very cool and unique compared to every other game out there !

ramthegamer likes this.
  7. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Thing is that asset quality actually looks to be lower in shadow of the tomb raider, compared to rise of the tomb raider.

Ofc we have only seen the consololol version as of yet, so the pc version will HOPEFULLY have higher asset quality, although it's doubtful.

XenthorX likes this.
  9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    It s doubtful,what we saw on console footage is the same game on pc for sure

XenthorX likes this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I'll hold judgement until I see the game running for myself.

Damien_Azreal and XenthorX like this.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Agreed.
    Gameplay footage should always be taken with a grain of salt. As in most cases, there's a form of compression on the video that takes away from the visuals clarity.

Personally, I think what we've seen so far looks great. And I'm really looking forward to September.

alanm likes this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yep, even HD video is still compressed (especially YT video) losing most detail, color and contrast fidelity.

I recorded and uploaded a video of Division once to YT and comparing what I saw live to what was recorded (even if 1080p60 with high bitrate) was actually quite shocking.
    You could only really tell it was HD video by looking at text edges when the image was still or almost still.

If I were to judge Division's graphics by that video, I'd do the game a disservice.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Youtube videoes CAN look good - fire this one up in 8k, and get ready to be blown away

insp1re2600 likes this.
  14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    why didn't rise of the tomb raider look bad when footage was on youtube???!!!

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I think graphics are fine if you are not comparing them to ps4 exclusive games because those are in a different league.

16. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Well well, looks good to me lol

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, I'd say it looks damn good.

19. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  20. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Yep, sure looks good to me. I really like the color tones / palettes and the lightning and shadowing effects (especially in the jungle setting).

I can see, however, that some animations seem to be a little stiff, lack a bit of polish in transitions; and sometimes seem to play / loop a bit too fast given specific circumstances. The running (full speed, not just 'jugging') animation seems to make her a bit too lightweight (to me, anyway). And one of the swimming animations (underwater, specifically) plays way too fast (it can be seen in the video from post #96 above, check at around 2:44 to see it; yeah, try to swim that fast underwater; good luck). I do specify " one of " the animations, however, because the general quality overall gives the impression of inconsistency at times (I.E. looks like it occasionally goes from good animation to "rough on the edges" during animation transitions).

But yeah, to reiterate, in general from what I've seen in previews so far the animations are good. The stuff I'm noticing is mostly nitpicking really (but it's noticeable if you have a good eye for details and pay attention to animations like I do).