1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadow of the Tomb raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that usually means your cpu has become the contention point.

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    CPU usage is pretty low at 28-40% as max what I remember

Running 5960X with 4.7GHz and don't think so I'm limited by CPU and I do play in 3440x1440

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Tried that again on other PC where is 8086k with 5.1GHz and same issue with frame drops in exactly same location or mission, in both case running RTX 2080Ti

Thanks, Jura

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    cpu usage can tank when a main thread that everything else synchronises to is blocking on another task to complete, won't matter what cpu you have if its a resource loader or physics task.

seems like underoptimized resource loading.

Last edited: May 19, 2019

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I dont remember having any drops in that mission.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Well i gave in, roughly a year after initial release. just bought the game and pass. :D

mbk1969, Kolt and Undying like this.
  7. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Hey, that's honestly the best experience these days anyways. You are about to play the completely patched and ironed out version. I almost never play games at release anymore unless it's one of those games I just can't wait for.

mbk1969 and WhiteLightning like this.
  8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    you would think so. unfortunately Nvidia seems to screw up with their drivers. the game seems to crash with a error i might not have enough resources. according to steam forums i am not the only one having that problem.

jura11 likes this.
  9. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Oh, bummer :/

I guess sometimes you can't win either way with gaming..

That being said, I thought the game was a lot better than some of the reviews and I actually liked the whole Metroid-vania style world and hub they made. I'll have to revisit it sometime... there was a lot I didn't get or complete.

WhiteLightning likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    What does that really mean? Do you really have 8gb system ram? Game could be unplayable and it warns you.

WhiteLightning likes this.

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yes i have 8gb, but thats not really the problem. i know since i always monitor things with MSI Afterburner. And then there is also the pagefile which i have enabled.
    It is a driver bug. i have encountered it during the tutorial , further on when the game really begins i havent seen it yet. so lets hope for the best.

Yeah that is very true. I have only seen the error once thankfully.
    I wasnt a huge fan of geforce experience, but i just tried the filters and things work very well. i have a very sharp lara now lol.
    I have just started the game, but the game looks very nice. i can even enable rtx on medium, but i dont know if its better then shadows at ultra.
    i have tried rtx ultra, but i get 20fps then lol

12. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti

yeah too bad, i have the same issue, but in more games, I have no idea what Nvidia is doing. I am also getting that annoying "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" nowadays. I think I will go back to some really old drivers (like 3 months old), when I did not have this problems at all.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Most likely, nvidia are working on some dx12 optimizations that will apply to all such games and it means breaking stuff in the short term for long term gains.

good thing is they seem to be rapid releasing to get fixes out fast.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    That and in general for a few games the ongoing issue with NVIDIA (Or AMD when it's affecting them which can also happen.) saying it's something the developers have to fix at times and they bounce it back to NVIDIA as them having to fix it, would expect NVIDIA to be in the right however having greater overall knowledge and experience with these things even if some "hacky" workaround or driver work could improve things.

Wonder if that's the longer standing open issue with Division 2 crashing under D3D12 for NVIDIA for one example and the devs being slow with both regular patches and the hotfixes plus if they're working with AMD it might have a impact on testing with NVIDIA which is also one reason I am not overly fond of these vendor deals but then again without those some of these ports would likely be less than stellar too so it's not really a bad thing either as long as it's not entirely broken on one vendors hardware. :)

As always I need to learn more on the subject really, low level API's and development differs in several ways too so the older means of doing things don't always apply and even with D3D11.x enforcing certain standards there's a lot of PC games and software doing things in very different than recommended ways which sometimes gets exposed and sometimes one can just wonder a bit about how some games or game engines can even work at all when certain parts are just so off from the intended practice of utilizing features though that leads to some lengthier discussions then but yeah it's nothing new.

EDIT: Overall though both NVIDIA an AMD appear to have come a long way with both DirectX and Vulkan driver support and features, performance and bug fixes including stability too for what extent the driver code now applies if more control is on the developers.
    (Which seems good and all but priorities and PC porting time and effort and post-launch support even with "GAAS" as a service model now so pros and cons I suppose there's bits of both with it.)

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I just finished the game in DX12 mode (my first game in DX12, btw) and I had zero issues.

16. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    So about this game........ I have very little to nitpick tbh , but here goes. LOL

- Hunting should be more emphasised, sure i killed a few animals, but a real hunt would be awesome. like in monster hunter. more boss fights also.
    -Piranha's should be more. the first time i met them i actually had problems , and i died a few times. all the times after that it was kind of a joke and never died.
    -more eals and other predators pls.
    -collecting things kind feels dumb at times. at the hidden city , i was collecting for an hour , just pressing the square button every 3 seonds. i kid you not!
    -AI have no process of the day. they just sit in one spot, which is rediculous. sure some people should stick at the same spot , but others should walk around as well.
    -weapons feel too overpowered. i just play everything with the bow to keep the difficulty somewhat harder.
    -tech tree. i feel some things are added because they needed to be added. they feel useless , and i can think of 20 other things that would be more awesome.
    -performance drops in villages. ok this is not really fair since im playing with much higher settings as i should. but glorious graphics win here.

so much for the bad stuff, now for the good stuff.

-Graphics - Lighting is the best i have seen. it looks brilliant on my HDR TV, such a joy to play.
    -Puzzles - from pretty good to very good. way better then the previous tombraider.
    -Location Very good location , villages look alive , much better then lets say assasins creed. the hidden city is also HUUUUUUUGE , all filled with people.
    -Story - Not very exceptional, yet very entertaining. never gets boring tbh.
    -Swimming - It worked better then i thought it would, sure it could be filled with more danger and vegetation, but overall with the puzzles also its very entertaining to just jump in.
    -different bow types. - So i just earned the psychodellic bow , i find this a very good feature. they should expand more on this. also they should expand the upgrading part since it is done in no time at all. especially with all the loot laying around everywhere.
    outfits - i like how you get a bonus wearing certain combo's or parts of your outfit. maybe have more options ? head / body / legs / feet ?
    death sequences - they added more then just hte same one over and over, which is nice to see. maybe they can add even more ? lol
    upside down climbing - very cool.

Anyways , I am enjoying this game very much. I find it the best Tombraider game in YEARS!
    If i would need to rate the 3 tombraider games, i would rate tombraider:6 , rise of the tombraider: 7 , shadow of the tombraider: 9.

I dont know if a new tombraider is planned, but it would be a shame if it wasnt. hopefully they can adress some of my points, and add more things even. double jump in form of a summersault would be awesome :D

Undying and Kolt like this.
  17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    Did anyone try the DLC's?

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Might want to throw into google "how do cpu's bottleneck"

It's a common misconception that you're only bottlenecked if the processor is 100% load in task manager.

19. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    How'd you get that 5960X to run stable at 4.7GHz? At 4.5GHz, mine hits 1.43v and gets very hot.

20. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    He probably just won the silicon lottery with his chip.