1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadow of the Tomb raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 27, 2018.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I've decided I'm going for 100% completion in this game. I've been enjoying it a lot - looks awesome, sounds awesome, plays awesome (zero lag, crashes or any issues), is super optimized and keeps me coming back for more. The environments are gorgeous, the tombs and secret areas you can find are all very well done and really make you explore all surroundings.
    Not sure if I will get any of the DLC just yet, but very impressed by this game.. they did an awesome job of it.

alanm likes this.
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    ^ Agree. My only complaint is the slow, unnecessary dialogue with villagers (which you can skip and I do) and the weapons sold in the market which you cannot compare to the ones in your inventory.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    finished main campaign last week-end, loved the game :cool:

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    That's fair, I guess I could see that being a detractor but I didn't really mind it myself.. was such a small part of the overall content that I just went through it and continued on.

My main gripe is the skill tree.. I find most of it to be very underwhelming and the skills themselves I am not finding really assist me in many meaningful ways or scenarios.
    hat and the fact that upgrading your guns is kinda comical in that you can get a new weapon later on in the game and just upgrade it all in one go since you have been stockpiling resources. The whole upgrading system (was same in past games) just seems silly - either they need to make resources less plentiful, or make the requirements to craft much higher. In most cases I'm upgrading weapons with 50 of a resource and its asking for 2 every step up.. don't really think much effort went into balancing that part at all and really feels like an afterthought.

5. paulonone

paulonone Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    [19-03-2019] PC Patch Notes for patch 1.0.280 (Patch #13)
    We have just released the thirteenth PC patch for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, build 1.0.280. This patch focuses primarily on the release for the Nvidia’s Ray-Traced Shadows and DLSS.

This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

New features included in this patch:
    • Nvidia’s Ray-Traced Shadows
    • Support for DLSS.

The following requirements must be met to be able to run Ray-Traced Shadows or DLSS:
    • Window 10 update 1809 or higher
    • Nvidia’s RTX 20- series GPU
    • Nvidia’s latest drivers 419.35 and up.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version, we have made a Beta available on Steam, Build 279, that can be used to switch back to the previous version.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/750920/discussions/0/3362406825550848019/

Kolt, lucidus and Undying like this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...traced-shadows-and-dlss.106234/#post-18989192

Performance comparison, nice to see it added fully at long last. :)

EDIT: As to the tech in general I like what it makes possible although I wonder if Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the best showcase, Control also had a trailer earlier today showcasing RTX including shadows.

[​IMG]

Impressive.
    (From: https://www.resetera.com/threads/control-nvidia-rtx-demo-showcase.106135/ )

Nice to see more titles using rays in various ways and effects, going to take a while but some has to be first out with the tech and then it can move from there and become a standard later on. :)
    (Going to require some serious hardware though and won't replace things just yet for probably a few years but we'll likely see more titles giving it a go in various ways like RTX here and then there's Crytek and voxels and who knows what more might be popping up.)

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    They would have been better off not adding it... visually it barely makes a difference (just as it doesn't in all other games using it), and the performance hit is absurd. I would personally not enable dxr unless i was already getting 200+ fps at 4k ultra... so basically i wouldn't ever use dxr.

8. Kolt

Kolt Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    That's what I am hearing, but I don't think I've seen much talk about it with DLSS on. I have the game installed finally (been waiting for the patch) and will test later on. Hopefully DLSS does some good...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    That's because DLSS is a complete scam... it performs as if you are using 80% render res, but looks like you are using less than 70% render res. You are better off using neither dxr nor dlss...

Kolt likes this.
  10. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    We get it, you're not a fan of DXR or DLSS.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    yeak.. well.. I didn't miss much lol. Game was barely running a solid 60fps at 4K ultra anyway. No regret, game was great.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    You'd have to be a die hard nvidia fanboy to be...

13. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  14. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Wow finally released,gonna try me some RTX stuff, ohhh crap I just remembered all those cut scenes again.

15. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    It's obvious your not. Try posting some reviews that are relevant to the thread title and aren't click-bait like the ones you posted.
    Most people here have already seen the dated/archived reviews so anything new would be welcome.

16. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
    So the indication is RT won't work on a Ttian V in SOTR? Give me an hour or so to install the 419.35 and I'll report back on it.

Edit - ok RT works on it but DLSS isn't supported on it. But it's a lot slower than tests above of the 2080ti. I have to use ray tracing on Medium to avoid a slideshow in some areas. And it isn't much of a difference visually. And that's with everything else on max.

Ultra RT with everything else maxed looks wonderful but is very choppy, can't play it. Same for High RT. Meaning eventually I'll order a 2080ti (or up.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Ray-tracing support via DXR is coming to the Pascal cards in April though performance won't be anywhere near that of RTX cards or of the same quality. My guess is that it'll be as poorly implemented as hardware PhysX (i.e. wavering performance and stuttering) and only added to check off the NVIDIA feature set. Still, I'm curious to test it even if it runs badly and I won't be buying a new NVIDIA card with RTX until the 7nm die-shrunk, whether that is September 2019 or March 2020. The GTX 1080 Ti is still a beast for gaming, especially at 2560x1440 on a high-refresh display.

18. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2080 Ti
    Dude posts in like every thread LOL. We get it... you want an RTX but can't afford it so you are going to crap all over the product for anyone that did because it makes you feel better.

darrensimmons likes this.
  19. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Even though it's Nvidia's numbers it looks like you should be able to get a decent experience depending on your settings.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/com...support_raytracing_in_pascal_graphics/eiu7p8b

20. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    Well I'm very happy with the patch - performance is a locked 60fps @ 1440p with all settings maxed out and DLSS looks good in this game (using an OLED with HDR).

Ill have more of this scam please if this is how it makes games look and perform.

The game is stunning to look at though I never loaded it up pre RTX patch.

Kolt likes this.