Shadow of the Tomb raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, out of all the examples you mentioned I can tell you that I've managed to play half at 4K/60fps with a few dips here and there (nothing major like this title). For example Monster Hunter World, FFXV, AC:O and WD2. Sure, none of these titles ran 4K/60fps on Ultra without a tweak, but with some adjusting I was able to get good performance. Even the very heavy title FFXV runs at 60fps most of the time with some exceptions like heavy alpha effects or weather effects like rain.

Sorry mate but I played ROTR at 4K/60fps on Ultra (or was it High?) with just a minor tweak with shadows, disabled AA and PureHair plus something else and it ran like a dream in pretty much all situations (even Geothermal Valley) :) Judging by all the benchmarks I've watched so far, 4K/60fps for SotTR is simply out of the question even with tweaks, it's more like a 4K/30fps game :( And we all know 4K is the way to play, but not at 30fps.

Get SLI for just one game? That would be a hefty investment :D Also my CPU (6700K) is far too weak for SLI anyway so...

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    No its fine

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Rottr scales better with lower settings, yes... but at maxed out settings at 4k i get about 65 fps in rottr, and about 70 fps in sottr :)

But i run with g-sync capped at 58 fps, so i get a constant 58 fps locked experience, even in the big city

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    AsiJu and LuckyNumber8 like this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well... yes and no :p

It's fine in terms of cpu performance, but he will find that he gets bottlenecked by the lack of pcie bandwidth with sli at 4k :)

Passus likes this.

5. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Finished it, can't complain. Good game.

6. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Rise of the tomb raider runs better in 4K but it was also demanding as you can see below

45-60fps on 1080ti with maxed out details. In order to play at 60fps I had to use high details (55fps dips but 60fps most of the time), or play in 1800p.

So new tomb raider is without any doubts more demanding, because even with tweaked settings 1080ti just cant run that game at 60fps in 4K no matter what, but as I can see (based on screenshots and gameplays) game is also more detailed now. Levels are larger, I can see way more characters on the screen, more tessellation and POM effects on ground and walls, more trees and really dense and detailed vegetation. With graphics like that I'm not surprised game is more demanding now, but still consideting how good new tomb raider looks 1080ti results are solid, because apparently game can be maxed out at 1800p or ultrawide resolution.

Games from my list run around 45fps on 1080ti maxed out in 4K. Maybe in some of them settings tweaks would help but I can no longer test that. I sold my asus strix 1080ti month ago (also my PS4P and Xbox X) because I have to fix my life problems right now, but when I will return to playing games soon I will buy something much better (probably 2080ti). IMO 1080ti is perfect 1440p and also good 1800p card, but 4K native is a little bit too much for that GPU and no one should expect to run all new games in 4K 60fps on that GPU. There are games like Quantum Break or kingdom come that dips below 60fps even in 1080p on 1080ti, so consodering how good bew tomb raider looks 1800p maxed out is still very nice result.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  7. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Ahh I get you

8. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Why just one game? I have about 80 games installed at the moment new and old (I'm a bit of a hoarder -- this is my backlog of shame. Library is some 300 games large) and the only one that doesn't work with SLI is No Man's Sky, and that -was- working beautifully with SLI but an update broke it a few updates back, so it may return.

The CPU is a good question. At least for SOTTR, my 3970X is holding back my 1080Tis. Your CPU is faster for single-core, so would likely do better than mine for anything DX11 related. For DX12, it -should- spread the load across more cores so the 6-core 3970X may benefit me here.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks @Dragam1337
    @Martigen check out what Dragam wrote above :) I've been through this discussion with him extensively and the 6700Ks problem is PCI lane bandwidth. I've tried 980Ti in the past and it was a bad experience. Sure, some games like those powered by the Frostbite engine and also Snowdrop engine ran well but others like Red engine, the engine running Far Cry and Assassins Creed didn't run well at all. I just felt that I didn't get my moneys worth.

I've heard that RotTR runs worse now than it did before the release of SotTR :eek: Anyway, yes it probably scales a lot better which is important if I want to chase those 60fps. But since SotTR doesn't scale at all I understand that I won't be able to run the at 60fps unless I play in Low :/

Sad to read about "can't run at 4K/60fps not matter what" but you are right. I agree that 1080Ti isn't a true 4K card but like I mentioned before, with a little bit of tweaking (no AA, no DoF, lower Shadow settings and so forth) its still possible to achieve or almost achieve 60fps. Sure, it's not possible in all games (newest Deus Ex for example) but I've been lucky enough to be able to tweak the games I play on my 4K TV :) Quantum Break was indeed really difficult to run properly but I also found a tweak there which helped tremendously.

10. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    [​IMG]

AsiJu likes this.

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
  12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    ^Do you have DOF enabled in those screens? I can't really tell.

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yes it was through nvidia ansel with effects on,so lots of DOF blur around the edges turned on.Last one with vulture no DOF .

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I really want to get this game but I have basically no time play games anymore... (last 3 games I've bought haven't even been installed yet).

Game seems to run fine based on what's posted here. 1080p60 on 980 Ti shouldn't be a problem.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    if...HD resolution
    then...approved

if...4K resolution
    then...NASA computer required

:)

AsiJu likes this.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Not quite a NASA computer :p Mine manages, and is quite old at this point - cpu etc 5 years old, gpu's 2,5 years old :)

17. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I've seen a lot of people slagging off the graphics for some reason, personally I think it's a great looking game and I'm shocked at the performance I'm getting, 1080p Ultra settings @60fps on a very dated FX8350 & RX580, very happy with that, be interesting what I get with Fifa 19 in a couple of hours (never a particularly demanding game).

AsiJu likes this.
  18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I know :) Still frustrated that 1080Ti SLI is required for 4K tho but I'll get over it eventually :p

19. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    Finished the game 90% and still going up! :p
    It was a very nice journey thanks Lara once more! :cool:

[​IMG]

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I think that generally speaking, the graphics are great - i just think they could have done a better job with the textures :)

Hehe :p But didn't you have an 1440p screen ? :)

Grimbarian likes this.