1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadow of the Tomb raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Taa does, smaa doesn't :)

I have to say i hate how unstable the image is without TAA in this game, after having played with it for a while. Unfortunately i can only use TAA in dx11 with sli, and with dx11 the fps plummets in the town... so no TAA for me :/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  2. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    on a 1080ti it's running at a mostly solid 60fps for me right now.
    I'm running it at a custom resolution of 3584x2016 and my settings are: dx12
    no hdr
    vsync on
    smaa
    Ultra texture quality
    16x filtering
    normal shadows
    high DOF
    LOD high
    ambient occlusion hbao+
    pure hair normal
    screen space contact shadows of
    everything else checked except motion blur
    Running the beta branch of the game which runs much smoother.

3. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Much thanks I'll give that a bash :)

4. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    Running at 4K, 30 fps, HDR on a GTX 980 TI, Normal shadows

Game runs great and looks stunning :D

Will be getting the RTX 2080 TI next week, so im hoping on 4K 60 fps, Ultra settings no problem (without Ray Tracing tho)

LuckyNumber8 likes this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Me too!

Based on some other reviews the game opens up in... Paititi I think it was called.

After which Shadow should become different from TR / Rise as you operate from that hub area in an open-style world.
    It was said the first few hours could indeed be mistaken to playing an expansion for Rise as it's so similar.

Darren please report if you find this to be the case once you progress.

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    It is somewhat the case.

AsiJu likes this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Without Taa, i am finding myself really disliking the hair on "normal" - there is a crazy amount of aliasing going on, as it is clearly only intended to be used together with Taa... so i actually think hair low looks better in most cases than hair normal, when not using taa. However, in some angles, the hair on low looks quite bad due to the much reduced number of hair strands - i like that they are much thicker, means they don't alias, but there could be more of them...

Hair low

[​IMG]

Hair normal

[​IMG]

From the front it looks fine on low, much less aliased.

Hair low

[​IMG]

Hair high

[​IMG]

From the back however, the lower amount of hair strands is very apparent, and doesn't look very good...

For comparison, look how good the hair in rise of the tomb raider looked without AA...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MUCH better, why couldn't they just have copied that...

8. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Good find. I think that looks like a bug to be honest. Low, even with less strands, looks anti-aliased but high is being ignored. Rise definitely looks better.

Maybe post in their forums?

9. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Thanks for testing this. Despite the slightly blockier framtimes of DX12 smaa, it's got a higher overall fps. Was it smooth?

On TAA, it requires the previous frame to operate, so for SLI it gets swapped over the bus. If you use Nvidia Inspector you can see this in the Bus Usage meter reading, which goes from about 3-5% for most games to 40-60% when TAA is enabled :) And people say PCI-E 3.0 8x is fine... no thanks, x16 here :)

I bit the bullet and bought the game. I'll upload benchies when I can. 1080Ti SLI here, but with an older 3970x (6 core @ 4.6). Be curious to see how it performs, and if my CPU is holding the cards back.

For comparison, what graphic settings did you use?

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    I probably should post some of my testing on their forums, i image not too many give sli feedback...

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Yeah, gsync saturates the pcie bus quite a bit aswell, which is why i get the significant framerate reduction with dx11 + taa + gsync... though with only dx11 + taa, or dx11 + gsync i have enough bandwidth to barely get any performance hit.

I thought they didn't add pcie 3.0 support till the 4000 series ? :)

In regards to dx12 + smaa + gsync it's a completely smooth locked 58 fps experience for me :)

As for settings used, i used all settings maxed out at 4k with the exception of depth of field and motion blur turned off, and then with the various dx and AA options.

12. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    What I am saying is that at Ultra settings 4k I avg about 43 fps. If I turn everything down to medium or normal, I get about 47-50 fps. It didnt do much. I will try turning AA off and hairworks off to see what that does.

edit: It did not do much. I still average 50 fps with dips into the mid 40's in areas. Which is the same with hair works on and AA on. I found that setting it to 50hz will keep things mostly smooth, enough to enjoy it. 30hz had too much input lag. Resolution has by far the biggest impact in this game it seems.

When I switch back to my UW 1140p monitor I get between 65-70 fps which is ok but then I miss out on the phenomenal HDR this game has. Choices choices!

13. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I think you will get similar results to titan V

So around 52-60 fps with EVERYTHING maxed out, and 70+ fps with high settings. But keep in mind 2080ti unlike titan volta has DLSS, and that thing will give huge performance boost according to Nv. If DLSS picture quality will look very close to native 4K (not to mention on pair with it) I think most people will play with DLSS on and basically get like 80fps in that game with maxed out details... of course without RTX effects on :p

The Sleeper likes this.
  14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've played about five and a half hours of this game and, so far, I've been really enjoying it.

It does seem much slower paced than the previous two games though with far more emphasis on exploration and solving puzzles and less on combat. Those looking for a more Uncharted-like gun-and-run experience may find this game disappointing as I've only encountered two sequences with armed enemies in the time I've been playing it and the second one more or less forces you to finish it stealthily. Both sequences are also very short. I like the new balance of gameplay elements though as it affords the game some quieter character moments where they reflect on things that have happened. The atmosphere is great and Lara is also accompanied by Jonah this time round so it is a less solitary adventure, at least so far. I've reached a Peruvian village area where there seems to be a number of side-quests available but it admittedly feel a lot like Rise's Geothermal Valley albeit larger and with more NPCs.

It is fair to say that this game isn't hugely different from Rise and so far there are lots of moments where I've been reminded of set-pieces from previous games, like for example Shadow's equivalent of the wolf encounter from the first game (you'll know what I mean when you see it; there was even one cutscene that looked to be inspired by the scene in Alien 3 where Ripley has a close-encounter with the alien). The game is certainly not open-world and follows the previous games' structure of having linear sections followed by more open ones. These sections are all linked by Fast Travel via camp fires you come across. Nothing new there. The open areas feel just as elaborate as Rise's with plenty of stuff to find and secrets to uncover. It's a very familiar format to anyone who has played the prior games but it works just as well here. The more sedate pace means there is plenty of opportunity to admire the game's superb visuals and art design.

One area where the game is expanded on is the ability to explore underwater which can lead to hidden crypts, resources and loot. So far these sequences have been great and overall they make this game feel closer in tone to the original Crystal Dynamics games than either of the previous two games (which seemed to be inspired more by the Uncharted games on PlayStation 3 and 4).

I've been mostly playing it using DX12 but I've found the game is prone to intermittent hitching (microstutter), especially during cutscenes or camera angle changes. During gameplay it is mostly fine but the framerate can sometimes tank momentarily down to 45-55 fps when the frequent auto-checkpoint saves happen. It may also be streaming related. Oddly, when I tried the DX11 version, the game ran noticeably smoother with only the odd minor hiccup but the framerate was around 5-10 fps lower than DX12. Guess the game needs further optimisation?

Singleton99, eGGroLLiO and ShadowDuke like this.
  15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled

i think 2080ti beats Titan V

tensai28 likes this.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    If it does, it won't be by much...

17. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX GTX 1070
    I'm spending more time than I would like to admit on those stupid tombs! >.<

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    While the lighting is hit and miss in this game, it does look amazing in some instances

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    They are really fun, so i can relate ! :p

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    God damn it does she look pissed off ! Looks like my GF when i told her that i think a chinese crested is the ugliest dog in the world, and i don't want her buying one xD

[​IMG]

sertopico and HandR like this.