SGSSAA not working properly

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Ungeheuer97, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Ungeheuer97

Ungeheuer97 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Here's a comparison of a screenshot from "Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy" - the first one is with an HD 5870 and 8xSGSSAA applied (taken from this article), and the second one is with my GTX 1070 and 8xSGSSAA applied as well.

HD 5870, 8xSGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

GTX 1070, 8xSGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

The AA in the second image looks noticeably worse. The textures are lower quality as well. Also, it is worth noting that the two screenshots are in different resolutions - the first one is 1680x1050, and the second one is 1920x1080.

Any idea what's wrong?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    customized texture LOD of -1 or -2 for best texture sharpness. this is taken from the article about the HD 5870 & 8x SGSSAA:

3. Ungeheuer97

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    I've already set the LOD Bias (OGL) to -1.5, so I don't think that's the problem.

4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    I assume that "HD 5870" is an ATi/AMD Radeon card. AMD/ATi cards don't support SGSSAA (Sparse Grid Super Sampling). They support RGSSAA (Rotated Grid Super Sampling), which produces a higher quality image. Nvidia's SGSSAA implementation will never look quite as good as the RGSSAA implementation does on AMD cards. I don't know why the article claims the card is using SGSSAA, the Super-Sampling setting in ATi's/AMD's drivers is actually RGSSAA and has always been that way.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017

5. Ungeheuer97

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Dunno, the article says it's using SGSSAA.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    HD 5870 support 8x MSAA which means that it's providing more or less the same SGSSAA as any modern GeForce.

But considering that we're talking about two totally different architectures it's hardly a wonder that the results are different. Jedi Knight in particular is an OpenGL game, and NV's AA features were always a bit pants in OpenGL when compared to DX.

7. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    The second screenshot (Nvidia) has no AA applied at all.

Throw up a picture of your Nvidia Profile Inspector settings. You do know that MSAA+TrSSAA=SGSSAA in OGL, right?

8. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    PCGH screenshot uses "Very High" in-game texture detail setting.
    Your screenshot uses "High" in-game texture detail setting.
    That is why textures look worse.
    High:
    [​IMG]

Very High:
    [​IMG]

As for AA quality, it's really doesn't look as 8xSGSSAA. I guess, it's because driver bug. Starting from 375.xx, SGSSAA in OpenGL makes some textures extremely blurred.
    This doesn't happen on 373.xx and lower.

8xMSAA (OK):
    [​IMG]

8xSGSSAA (broken):
    [​IMG]

8xMSAA (OK):
    [​IMG]

8xSGSSAA (OK):
    [​IMG]

9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Glad this thread was made as I still play old games now.

OT: I still would like to see AA quality comparisons between all the new cards (Pascal, Vega, and Polaris) but it seems nobody cares about it anymore and turn everything off just to get to 60 FPS @ 4K.

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    Yeah, I the article must be mistaken. The Supersampling setting in ATI's/AMD's drivers has been RGSSAA forever (including on the HD 5xxx Series they talk about). RGSSAA usually looks slightly better than SGSSAA, although there isn't a world of a difference.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Doesn't have anything to do with the hardware. Everything from Fermi forward is the same functionality wise for AA.

It's the drivers that are the issue.
    Forcing AA in OGL has always been a crap shoot.
    Have you reported this at all?

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Again, AMD's SSAA is the same as NV's, it's using the same sparse MSAA grid.

13. Ungeheuer97

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    No, didn't know that, guess I've overlooked that little detail from the compatibility bits thread.

Here are my new settings:

[​IMG]

Yeah, seems I've missed that graphics option.

Here's an in-game screenshot with proper textures and 8xSGSSAA:

[​IMG]

I loaded up Yavin IV and some of the ground textures are really blurred, like you said. Is there an NVIDIA DLL repository like AMD's because I don't feel like installing an older driver?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  14. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I send bug report to Nvidia.

Nvidia driver architecture does not support loading user mode driver dll, from previous driver version.

15. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Although Kepler is the last to support CSAA, and architectures prior to Maxwell 2 don't support MFAA.

That looks fine. But 'Texture Filtering - Driver Contolled LOD Bias' should be set to Off, otherwise your negative LOD bias setting is not doing anything.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    CSAA and MFAA are totally irrelevant when it comes to support for forcing MSAA and SGSSAA. Which is the same for all of them.

17. jiminycricket

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    It was a blanket statement, that's all. Just pointing out that something like MFAA is in fact dependent on hardware.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017