Severe CPU mhz drop when playing games

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Googie, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    [1] XFX 6870 HD @955/1100
    I recently installed a Threadripper 1920x into a ASROCK x399 Phantom gaming 6 motherboard with new ram 16gb G Skill trident. and a new power supply EVGA 850 watts, everything was running fine for about 5 weeks now when I get into a game the CPU drops from 3.5 mhz to around 1.6 mhz to 2.0 mhz. Vol;tage is all over the place [monitored by Ryzen Master] Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this would be appreciated. I ran memtest86 memory passed. System idles at 54 Celsius never goes above 68 Celsius

2. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    First, make sure your game actually USES all the cores, or uses some cores enough that the cpu must maintain that speed. If it's not being used that hard, it won't stay at high clocks.
    If your CPU use is maxing out various cores, and it's still not keeping high clocks, then you might have another issue. You can try flipping it to 'game mode' in BIOS and seeing if that helps the situation, though it may disable some cores on the processor until you switch it off.

If voltage is unstable from power supply, excess ripple, or can't maintain watts/amps, you will get errors like this.
    Disable processor low power states in BIOS and in Windows. Make SURE that your power plan in Windows is set to Ryzen Balanced or Ryzen High Performance.
    Make ABSOLUTELY SURE your CPU POWER ports on the motherboard by the CPU and RAM are all plugged in. If you don't plug them all in, it might not be able to get enough power to hold stable.
    Update BIOS and immediately Clear CMOS / reset to factory defaults. When updating BIOS, do so from within the BIOS and not from Windows for best success.
    Your motherboard may have a special E-Z-Flash USB port on the back dedicated to this task.
    Make sure to keep an eye on what your boot drive order is (take a picture with your phone or write it down) just in-case you have trouble booting later.
    You'll want to test if this is your power supply causing this issue. It could just be a bad unit, as lack of power amps/watts will cause it to cut down clock speeds.
    A quick way in BIOS to tell if the power supply is good is to see if any of the voltages are drooping low, or going too high. They should remain fairly stable/steady. They can fail other ways only evident while stressing the system in a 3D benchmark or game for a while. Power supplies getting TOO WARM may shut off to prevent thermal runaway, they have to work harder in the heat.
    Make sure your motherboard/chipset drivers are up to date, and consider uninstalling or turning off RGB software to see if that causes an issue.
    Also, if you recently installed something, and you then had the problem, consider uninstalling it.
    Post to manufacturer's forums of your power supply - EVGA - and see if it sounds like it's a power supply issue to them.
    Consider getting a spare test drive out - even a hard drive if needed if you don't have spare SSD's - remove your boot drive from the system - and reinstall windows from scratch on this test drive.
    Then try playing your games, if it helps, you know you had a software issue. If it does not help, remove your test drive and replace the original drive back into the system.
    The reason for removal of the original disk while installing to test, is to keep Windows from messing with your working system disk, as it could mess up the boot loader, or possibly transfer settings - including the problem - even without your knowledge, from the original system drive over to your test drive. You don't need to enter a Windows 10 key while testing it out.
    If you purchased the power supply at a brick and mortar store, swap it out for another unit if you do not have one to test.

Basically, if you've exhausted all your options with software / operating system stuff, and that hasn't helped, then it could possibly be hardware that is the problem and you'd want to return the defective hardware via an RMA. It helps to have spare parts - have a buddy over who has a computer who's willing to share some parts to test with if you do not. Swap parts until the problem changes or goes away entirely and you know you've found the likely issue. It's just trial and error at that point. Good luck!
    HINT: If it's not software, motherboard/motherboard BIOS *OR* Power supply would be a strong guess here to where your problem is.
    If you just built the system and you don't absolutely need all those PCI-express 3.0 lanes, consider returning the chip/board and getting a Ryzen 3xxx chip and x570 motherboard if you cannot solve the problem. If you got it used, return if possible or re-sell it for whatever you can get, or give it to your mother for an eternally-lasting all-powerful email reading monster of a machine.
    Micro Center is usually a bit lenient on return windows for motherboards / processors from what I gather. Talk to manager in person. If you regularly spend good cash there, they will keep you happy.
    --Again, good luck!

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    first gen threadripper is the worst possible way you could go for a gaming machine.

4. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    Astyanax That was helpful......

AsiJu and insp1re2600 like this.

5. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    Thx bobblunderton Im only using 1 cable for power on CPU would using both help?

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    TR does have game mode which will only allocate a certain amount of threads total. What cooler are you using?

7. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    I have a swiftech H220X liquid cooler with a threadripper block installed on it

8. lmihai2oo6

lmihai2oo6 Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
    Make sure that all CPU power ports on motherboard are connected.

Picture for reference attached.

Attached Files:

9. ChaosHusky

ChaosHusky Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti, 970
    As others have said though that Threadripper was an awful idea.. If you're not using all power connectors though i'd also suggest make sure you are, but after 5 weeks have you checked the temperature of your CPU? Could be your AIO cooler has failed for a start, that would cause thermal throttling as that's what it seems like, unless your PSU is dropping out on the 12v rail but that would usually cause much worse than dropped clocks.. Probably why i stuck with Intel but that's not helpful.. Could also be an idea to try and re-apply thermal paste and re-mount the CPU block. Have you tried that? Maybe even re-seat the CPU but..if developed after 5 weeks i'd look at the cooler and possibly mounting pressure first, plus make sure you're using all available CPU power sockets if you can.. Hmm..

Also, was it all brand new or second hand?

10. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    Monitored temp from the beginning never been over 68 degrees C 44 idle put thread ripping cooler block and drained changed out coolant and bled the radiator. Using both power connectors no difference. Its not a gaming machine persay system was 7 years old and wanted to upgrade somewhat didn't have the money for board and CPU. I spent what I could afford at the time. RMAing the board will go from there...Thx all

AsiJu likes this.

11. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    RMA on board produced no change

12. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    New chip and memory didn't change issue

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    So you've changed the cpu, board, and ram? That's basically a different system now. If it's still happening it would have to be the power supply.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The CPU would be well over 68C before it reached thermal throttle..... So it's definitely not a lack of sufficient cooling.....though I am surprised that an H220X can cool any Threadripper cpu.....

I'm with jbscotchman here.... I'd be looking at power.... If it was a cooling issue, temps should be well north of 68C. Also, if it was a cooling issue resulting in thermal throttling, the CPU would never clock to 3.5ghz.... It would be stuck at base clock.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its clearly the false idea that threadripper 1 and 2's are any good at gaming thats really the problem.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    whether Threadripper is any good at gaming is rather moot.... The CPU should not be dropping it's frequency on all cores when a game is launched. There should still be 1 or more cores running at boost clock.

17. elaganza

elaganza Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    check out your bios. and set all on auto or by default. for cpu, oc, acpi, memory. (not for ahci,ide mode) and 68 C too MUCH temp. looks like you have overheating and then cpu throttling. Even 54 C in an idle not good digits.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  18. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    Replaced liquid cooling with Coolermaster threadripper Wraith air cooler temps went down to 27C at idle and havent been over 52C. Stress tested with CPUID for 30 mins rock solid at 3.69 mhz temp went to 52C on original chip, been running great ever since, Has been 24 hours now. Lag and stuttering in the game I played is gone been no issues..... The only thing that made any difference was changing the cooling

Again Astyanax not helpful, it does what I need it to do

19. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    so you basically changed everything when the culprit was the cooler, nice

20. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    Ya board people and chip people didnt think it would be heat issue so the board was just switched out no cost power supply was 7 years old so that was due using it on daughters computer cause her power supply died around the same time so gave me an excuse. The chip is being returned charging restocking fee so when all said and done cost about $40 extra plus the cooler I should have bought in the first place. Live and Learn Thanks all