Settle a bottlenecking argument

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Brian the King, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    X1950XTX Crossfired 780/2280
    YES! I am well aware that at 1024x768 there is a CPU bottleneck! Which explains why by only overclocking the CPU we see a performance gain when running the exact same clocks on the GPU!

Wake the F#@K UP MAN!....

2. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    ROFLOL

3. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    so I guess this article needs to wake the *insert spectacle cuss word* too?

This article is soley on showing and fixing bottlenecks. Please go read this and then come back and call people names.

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/processor_dependency/index.htm

Link to what gurus had to say about the article
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=192648

4. WR3CK

WR3CK Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4890
    cant u both just agree on another bench to run so u can end all this arguing?

5. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    its not about the bench, he doesnt understand how to run a benchmark for finding bottlenecks. Its that simple.

6. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    ok how do we run a benchmark to show us we are bottlenecking...?

7. WR3CK

WR3CK Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4890
    wait doesnt 3dmark05 mostly bench the graphics and is not that much cpu bound. cant he just run that.

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    read the article

9. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    OK tard boy......
    You just gave an article to a review saying that cards are CPU bottlenecked with current CPUs....Ding, Ding Ding! We have a winner! Now bend over LedHed :banana:

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I figured you would find one line and skew it to what you want. Read the article through and come back. You obviously didnt understand it.

^ I mean honestly, how old are you.

Notice that your results had linear dependence. If you are trying to show that OCing your CPU increases FPS, then congrats you did it. But you arent showing a bottleneck, its 2 different things.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006

11. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    I am fully aware that games do not exploit a card to it's fullest potential. And even with a 2.8Ghz CPU pushing the cards you will not realize the full potential of your 7900GT. The articel only further illustrates what I've been saying. We don't have CPU today that is powerful enough to run todays highend GPUs. I thought this was common knowledge.

Honestly though, If were were to play Oblivion @ 1920x1200 with 1 7900GT, yes it would stress the hell out of your 7900GT, but what is the point in playing a game if you are only getting 5fps? Please understand, you are argueing the fact that todays GPU's are bottlenecked by todays CPUs. This is a FACT, I'm not making this up. I just showed it to you earlier. Even a 2.8ghz AMD X2 is not enough to unleash a 7900GT. If it were fast enough there would be NO performance gain when we OC the CPU. Do you understand?

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Can you not read?

13. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Well you are using a testbed that shows your goal. Which isn't really fair. There has been a thread about this a week or 2 ago.

It shows that even a Conroe won't provide much performance increase in games that run 1600x1200, because it is bottlenecked by your GPU.

So you testing in 1024x768 isn't really fair. People with high end GPU don't really play in that res now do we? I think 1280x960 is fair tho.

edit
    here i found the thread http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=193123&highlight=conroe+bottleneck

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  14. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    I can read fine. But you are an idiot. The GPU is dependent on the CPU to feed it data so it can render the next scene. Now GPU is faster than CPU so it ends up waiting on the CPU to finish it's calculations. This is called bottlenecking. The GPU can go much faster if it had a CPU that could keep up with it. But a 2.8GHz X2 is still not fast enough, hence we see a gain in FPS when we raise the CPU clocks while the GPU clocks ramain static.

Please at least tell me you are learning from the class I'm giving you on GPU and CPU performance....

15. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    I love lamp.

16. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    ^^ haha listen to this kid. What are you a computer engineering major? haha do you not understand there is more to FPS than just the GPU rendering models and textures? There is a lot more involved than that. If you play your games at 1024x768 then ok OC your CPU for more FPS. But who owns a 7900GT or above card and runs at that resolution? You arent even using the cards horsepower. You are so lost it isnt even funny.

17. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    With the settings I uesed ther can be no variation by me at all in the settings prescribed. If there were no bottleneck the scores would not increase period.

18. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    First thing go take English again.

Scores can increase without you increasing the GPU performance, how many times do I have to say this.

19. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    Actually, I play all my games @ 1440x900 with all settings max.

You my foolish little friend is the one who is lost.

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    You obviously do not understand how computer hardware works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.