Settle a bottlenecking argument

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Brian the King, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    X1950XTX Crossfired 780/2280
    I'm not picking on you friend. I only used you as an example because you have a pentium and a 7900GT that we can compare :bonk:

2. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    oh :p hehe duh to me ....! lol

3. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    OK, I've gone even one step further. I will show you how CPU increases performance with setting from 2.6Ghz, 2.8Ghz & 3Ghz....

This was done with single card as requested @ 600/1600
    [​IMG]

2.6Ghz.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2.8Ghz.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3Ghz.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, can we put this to rest?

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    haha you act like this is a fight, Im curious to find things out. What resolution did you run FEAR at? Im hoping you didnt run it at 1024x768 like that menu is screeny is in.

5. WR3CK

WR3CK Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4890
    thats the max res in the game. u have to tweak it to make it higher.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  6. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    My P4 bottle necks my old ass mid range X850pro o/ced.

7. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    It was done @ max settings @ 1024x768 (3xAA 16x AF & all settings max). You wanted to see how CPU increases performance yes? 1024x768 is a CPU limited resolution.

Also it is a fail safe way for you to know that I did not alter any settings from run to run, as you can clearly see "max/max" in the background.

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    if those benches were ran at 1024x768 then they are worthless. How do you expect to show if there is or isnt a bottleneck between the GPU and CPU if you run it in a CPU dependent setup. of course the frames are going to go up at that kind of res when moving the clocks up.

9. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    That was done with the games max GPU and max CPU default settings. As well as a fail safe so you can be sure I didn't mess with anything. I'm not going to do it again just prove what I already know is right. And I'm sorry but are you retarded? You wanted to see if there was a bottleneck in the first place remember? And I just clearly demonstrated that even @ 2.8ghz there is more to be had from your 7900GT.......

You can either accept it (the proof is right there) or continue to believe whatver you like.

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Im sorry but are you retarded. How do you expect to show the GPU is bottlenecked if you arent stressing the GPU? By running at a lower resolution you are putting less strain on the GPU and the real bottleneck between the GPU and the CPU will become less visible because you are removing GPU strain making the CPU the factor to raise FPS. You turning the res down to that low is the same as you turning off AA/AF. If you cant understand that then please go read up on your computer knowledge. No one is going to try to expose a bottleneck in something and then not strain that piece of hardware.

11. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    LedHed its not the Video card that bottleneck the CPU... ITS THE CPU ... duh if a cpu aint fast enough then the GPU is waiting on the CPU to get its info not the other way around

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    haha are you kidding me, he is running a CPU dependent test and then he is overclocking the CPU saying wow look at the FPS going up, my videocard must have been bottlenecked. Also notice how the FPS are going up in perfect increments on his screenies that is because its CPU dependent not GPU. Go read any articles on bottlenecks and notice how they strain the GPU in the test not the CPU. Thats the whole point.

13. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    You my friend are clueless. You can't do the stress test with a tweaked res because as soon as you select perofrmance options it will default back to it's un tweaked res. And the very fact that you are arfueing the point is a testament to how little you know.

Think about it. If the card were not bottlenecked at 2.8Ghz there would be NO gain in performance from going to 3Ghz right? The resolution is irrelevent if there is no bottleneck.

You are spectacularly foolish friend. Yes, the CPU bottlenecks the card. Which is exactly what I've been saying all along......

14. WR3CK

WR3CK Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4890
    exactly roko.
    ledhead why dont u post the settings u want him to run the game in or maybe another game

15. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Ok let me try this again.

You are trying to show a weakness between how fast the CPU can talk to the GPU when the GPU is running at its full potential. This is what a bottleneck is, the GPU is waiting for the CPU.

Now think about that..

How can you show the weakness between the CPU sending commands to the GPU unless the GPU is running at its maximum. By running at maximum its needs to be at a high res with full graphics so that it is trying to recieve the maximum amount of commands. By running at low res the GPU is not being stressed like it should to show a bottleneck.

All you are showing is that by overclocking your CPU you can achieve higher FPS in a game, you are not showing a bottleneck in the CPU paired with the 7900GT.

Please understand this time

16. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    That is exactly my point though! Even with a 2.8ghz CPU pushing the 7900GT, the 7900GT is not operating at it's full potential.

And what I hihglighted is the very definition of a CPU bottleneck.....

Please, you understand.

17. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Wow this is a horrid arguement.

18. WR3CK

WR3CK Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4890
    very interesting though

19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    for the love of God Spectacle read what I said and try to understand it dont just say yea Im right. You are wrong.

Do you not understand that the CPU is doing calculations that have an effect on FPS (Physics, AI, etc.). By overclocking your CPU you are doing these things more efficiently and increasing FPS, you aren’t necessarily speeding up the GPU.

20. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    The man is dense. I guess his name is more than just a clever title for him. His head is made of Lead.......

He is describing the very definition of a CPU bottleneck and I just demonstrated it, yet he still can't see it even though it is slapping him in the face.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.