Setting up SSD and Raid 0

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Ragingun, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    I'm investing in a small (64GB) SSD for gaming only. I want to run my OS on the Raid 0 drives and install my games on the SSD. I SUCK at software so... how do I install my games on the SSD and have my OS on the Raid 0? Do I install it on the Raid 0 setup and then drag the program file over to the SSD?

2. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    You should do exactly opposite. Installing os and programs on ssd will give you major improvement in overall speed. I'm sure you'll still have some space for 1-2 games that stream data a lot eg stalker, and the rest will be fine with raid 0. It's much safer for system to be on a non-raid drive. You'll see virtually no improvement apart from load times for most games because today a lot of them are console ports. As I said only stalker really benefited from ssd vs raid0 from my experience, and I used both raid0 hdds and 5 different ssds in the past.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    RAID 0 is a waste of time on a home PC you won't see any difference from a single drive, do what the guy above said and install OS/Apps on the SSD & games on your HDD's.

RAID was in fashion for a while but hardy anyone uses it these days, unless it's a server.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    You could not be more wrong if you tried.

I have 4 ssd's in a raid 0 and get reads in the 2880 range and writes in the 1440 range.
    (With kaspesski internet security antivirus and firewall both up and active)

You will not get that with a single ssd!!!

5. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    Agreed.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's BS, there is no way you could achieve those speeds in mb/s. It's just not possible.

600mb/s at most is what you'd get - and I'm being generous.

I'd love to know what you're benching with.

r/w speeds don't even matter unless you're transferring huge amounts of data. Access time is what counts for the OS/programs drive and there is no HDD on earth that will match an SSD's access time.

You agree he's getting 2880mb/s read speeds? well you're as naive as Monsoon then.

If you put your games on the SSD and OS on the RAID array you're making a mistake, you need to do exactly what Capt Oats said.

Don't say we didn't tell you.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    With mechanical drives, the benefits are massive. Short stroking gives really nice access times and sequential read and write speeds sky rocket (really useful when recording video and editing them, especially when working with lossless files). It makes nice difference in games too when using HDDs. Same goes to SSDs when it comes to read and write. Sandforce SSD's are pretty meh when writing data that they can't compress, like video files.

8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Going to have to agree with Oats and Pill on this... OS and programs on the SSD, separate the RAID, one drive for games and the other for data.

RAID has it’s time and place and it’s not in a home\gaming PC, especially if it’s a two drive RAID holding your data.

:stewpid: You’re foolish if you think you’re getting any real world benefit from those high ass numbers...

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    I raid 0 2 ssds :p i think more people use it than you know. cant comment on that other dude but i get 1200 read/write give or take. using 2 vertex 4s 256gb

and for me i cant have my games on a conventional hd, too slow for me. plus games that use streaming data FPS will improve, mainly minimum though

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  10. Davehillbo

Davehillbo Member

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti 2gb OC @1.3Ghz
    Of course its possible to get those types of speeds in RAID, each port offers a SATA 6gb connection, which is 600MB/s. Now it depends on the SATA controller used and what PCI-E bandwidth it has. On a PCI-E 2.0 port with A 1x interface you would get about 500MB/s, but if its a chipset solution with a direct link to PCI-E lanes, you could easily see 3000MB/S+.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The SATA controller may be capable of 600mb/s but there is not a single HDD available that could achieve that speed.
    The average read speed of modern HDD's is around 120mb/s, so 120 x4 = 480mb/s. Even at 200mb/s that would still only be 800mb/s at most.

In order to reach 3000mb/s you would need over 20 HDD's in RAID 0, good luck with that.

12. Davehillbo

Davehillbo Member

GPU:
    SSDs typically reach 520MB/s now. Put them in raid and you would see the 3000+ MB/s

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    We aren't discussing SSD's the subject is mechanical drives.
    And as I already stated; r/w speeds don't mean a thing unless you're transferring enormous amounts of data....

14. Davehillbo

Davehillbo Member

GPU:
    You yourself that its BS, which it is not!

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I was talking about specifically the OP's setup when Monsoon jumped in and put his 1c worth in. I assumed he also meant mechanical drives since that is what the OP has.

It's pretty fuking obvious I was referring to HDD's when you look at the numbers I used - 600mb/s = roughly 4x 150mb/s HDD's in RAID 0.

Even so, I stand by every point like RAID being useless except in benchmarks.

As Clawhammer said; those r/w figures mean nothing in the real world unless you transfer 100's of GB worth of data between SSD's.
    Furthermore if you transfer from SSD ---> HDD you're limited by the speed of the slowest drive.

16. Davehillbo

Davehillbo Member

GPU:
    RAID0 would be good if it was large files only. Smaller files and your limited to access speed on normal drives.

17. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Raid0 is a waste of time if you ask me.
    At least for mechanical drives, I don't notice any difference if I put my 2 500GBs in raid0, all it does is causes problems and you have ½ of your storage unavailable... Plus failure chance doubles so have fun with that.

Why would you want to put your games on the SSD and your OS on a HDD anyway?
    I would put the OS on the SSD for sure, since the benefits are just huge.
    The games can be on the HDD, all you gain by putting a game on the SSD would be faster loading speeds, but that's about it.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Exactly.
    That's why SSD's are great for OS/programs because of the access time, as I said already.

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    It isn't that clear cut, unfortunately. It's true that having two hard drives means that you're at the mercy of having at least 1 of them fail. But supposing same exact conditions, using one single HDD that is likely to fail before the second one you'd put it in RAID0 with, means that your failure rates have stayed the same. On the other hand, if the second HDD was going to die the day after, you'd lose your data the next day.

The chance of having failure increases, but not double. However, if you had 1000 drives in RAID0... :p

20. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    Actually, you are foolish...........

Yes, max numbers are not realword daily use numbers...

That said, number with antivirus/firewall up show's it's abilities in real word computing.
    (you can shut them off and test higher, but don't most of us have them up and active in almost all uses???)

That said, my boot/program launching/shutdown/game loading,level loading are VASTLY improved.

BTW: I have OS and everything on this raid 0 and it IS blazingly fast.

Of course each person is free to use whatever software/hardware/configuaration each person pleases.