Setting up old rig for 24/7 folding

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Loophole35, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay so my old PII rig has been collecting dust in the corner so I decided to reinstall windows on it and use it to fold 24/7.
    A question about it but first the system
    PII 940 X4 BE at stock
    8 gigs of ddr2 at 1333
    way too much of a PSU corsair 850w
    ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
    Two GPU choices (and here's the question)
    Nvidia 9800 GTX+
    or AMD 6950 2GB

So would it be better to use the newer AMD or just use the Nvidia because it is plug and play with F@H?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Run them both. Problem solved.

Seriously. Test both, stick to whichever produces the best PPD.

3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    PII 940 should be able to handle both video cards. Don't bother with SMP, dual GPU slots will eat lots of CPU power but PPD is good, so make sure it doesn't "bottleneck".

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Wait wait wait I can run both at the same time are you serious how do I do this

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    install both cards, boot into windows, install F@H software, open F@H software, click on "configure", then the "slots" tab, add 2 "gpu" slots. The client will detect both cards and send them on their way to folding.

6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    exactly like this.
    I had 3 different GPUs (+4850) folding on same mobo, cooling was bad, so I had to stick with 2.

now having 2 different cards installed on mobo (non-crossfire), I just pause main (6870) when I run games and 5770 still folding on background.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay so I put the 6950 in the top blue pcie x16 slot and the 9800 gtx+ in the 3rd (second blue slot) and booted computer (I ran driver sweeper prior of course). I Installed both drivers for the AMD and Nvidia and rebooted. I was greeted with a message saying that a non functioning gpu was disabled cpu-z detects it but no BIOS is displayed nor the clocks. So needles to say can't fold with it. BTW its giving me code 43 in device manager.

And another question is 13,700 a good PPD for the cpu and one 6950 or should it be higher

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    AMD always has lower PPD than NVidia on GPU. CPU PPD can vary greatly depending on the project. My i5 2400 ranged from 2k to 24k....just depended on which project it got.

9. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't suggest to run GPU and SMP at the same time. GPU eats lots of CPU power, which slows SMP more than 75% down. In my experience its better practice to choose SMP or GPU, unless you have ****load of cores.

Try running only SMP or only GPU. See if single SMP/GPU slot could produce more ppd.

I have 6870 + 5770 doing around 14000ppd, while consuming 50% of CPU.
    Mine 2500k will go above 15000ppd alone (100%), without considering bonus.

So if I run dedicated machine, SMP would be smarter choice in my place.
    However I stick to video cards, cause I have other software running on pc, and as I said above SMP will suffer from it.

To properly run SMP most applications must be shutdown, even browsing will cause massive ppd drop. So if you have machine dedicated for folding, without other soft running in background, SMP is way to go.

A trick that you could do is, switch SMP to 2 cores and leave 2 cores for GPU. So there 2 dedicated cores for SMP and other 2 feeding gpu.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    On a quad core + AMD graphics card....you can run SMP+GPU so long as you don't intend to use all 4 cores. You'll still get the SMP bonus.