Setting up dual monitors idle clocks.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by racofer, Nov 25, 2012.

1. racofer

racofer Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr III
    So, I've gotten myself a second monitor like my main one (LG IPS236V), and now I have them hooked on my 6950, each one on a DVI port.

Now I know that the card sets the "idle" clocks while in dual monitors to low power 3d mode, so my card is now running at 450/1300/1.15v in idle, instead of the usual 250/150/0.90v it used to. Temperature has also increased from the usual ~40ºC to ~50ºC while on my desktop doing nothing.

I understand that some people managed to "fix" this issue by downclocking their cards in Afterburner/CCC Overdrive. I, however, have no clue how to properly set the idle clocks.

So far what I've managed to do is this:

• Set automatic 2d/3d clocks in afterburner. 2d clocks, for some reason, don't seen to change whatsoever. I noticed, however, that after dragging down the sliders for memory clock down to 650mhz, my memory is now running at 1250mhz and core voltage drooped to 1.00v, but it doesn't go further down than this;
    • I've set UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1 in the Afterburner config file, and after doing this my card now clocks down to 250/150/0.90v as soon as I open Afterburner. This causes MAJOR flickering across both displays though, and I can't seem to raise my idle clocks in afterburner;

Now, my questions:
    • How should I proceed? Is it even advisable to downclock my card (if even slightly) to reduce power consumption/heat/noise while running dual monitors?
    • Why don't we have something like nvidia inspector's multi monitor power saving mode?
    • Would two active mini-displayport to dvi adapters fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX R9 295x2
    Why are you so worried about it? Honestly unless you are on a strict thermal budget in a critical situation I wouldn't bother with the hassle. Pushing more pixels requires more power which produces more heat. No real way around that...

3. racofer

racofer Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok guys, nevermind. I've found a much better solution.

I enabled the sandy bridge igp and connected my secondary display into it, basically running one graphics card to each monitor. Now I have my 6950 getting into proper idle clocks (250/150/0.90v), running cool and much more silent.

Indeed, it's a hassle to set up custom clock configurations for what I wanted. However, I value my system being silent while not gaming, since I live in a very quiet place and I don't game that much anymore.

4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    i'm curious if the fan speed could be pushed higher without hearing a change (not that 50c is a big deal, nothing wrong with doing nothing about it)

for me, i modified my bios to 38% fan speed from stock 20? since i hear just about no change due to my case fans

now this igp method.. let us know if there are any issues (if the monitor stays on during a game, if you can run youtubes off it while the game is in proper 3d speed, etc) as i'm curious... even though i dont plan on having more than 1 monitor

5. racofer

racofer Master Guru

GPU:
    I agree that 50c is nothing to be worried about, but my fan runs at about 45%~48% at that temperature. My card uses the msi's twin frozr iii cooler, so it's probably a bit different than usual, and it's somewhat audible at that speed.

Usually, it stays at 40% in idle, which is basically inaudible for me. I tried forcing the cooler back to this speed in afterburner while running two monitors, but the temperature slowly climbs to near 60ºC which is my usual temperature while under heavy gaming, so yea, not ok for me.

It stays on while gaming and I can even play videos through mpc-hc in it while gaming without any performance hit. I can also drag video playback from one screen to the other and it continues on playing. It's also quite interesting since while playing videos on my 6950, which causes its clock to slightly increase, and as soon as I move the video to the other screen, my 6950 kicks back into idle and the video processing gets completely offloaded to the igp.

So far I'm satisfied. If I run into any unexpected issues I will report back.

6. juzz

juzz Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI Sea Hawk EK X
    my 5850 gets normal idle clocks with 2 monitors when I set memory 5mhz under default (1000->995) in overdrive. No idea how newer gen cards work. Of course downside is you cant OC memory without profiles if you "fix" it like this.

I don't think this bug has nothing to do with 2 monitors needing more power tbh. It's not like showing empty desktop while doing nothing is heavy task and older drivers worked just fine with normal idle clocks...