Serious Sam 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Contact the game devs, they might have already come across this.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Left a post on Steam Tech Support subforum.

Another person had an issue where the grapple did "work" but did nothing, just floated in the air.
    However his or her video showed there should be a screen prompt for grappling, I don't get the prompt either.

I'd still appreciate if anyone could replay the last boss to see if they can confirm this, if you happen to have an appropriate save.
    I could roll back to 1.03 or older via betas but then my save wouldn't work and I don't want to replay the entire level just to find the issue is still there.

3. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    This game has lots of issues with continuing levels from older saves. If you started a level on one version and then continued save on another, stuff breaks.
    If that was the case, you would need to replay given level from the beginning to make sure it loads properly.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I actually did start the last level on 1.03. So could be it.

5. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
  6. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Hopefully that means they can stop balancing on the edge of being eternal mid-tier indie with poorly managed development and problematic releases and ascend into the big league with some external help and funding.

They deserve it i guess. I don't think there's any other company that stuck around for that long in FPS segment in specific and didn't either dissolve or go AAA at least a decade ago.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Devolver has been publishing Croteam's releases since before 2011. This just makes Devolver the owner of the company, if you're expecting massive changes in how their products are... you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

8. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    If both parties considered their existing relationship satisfactory, they wouldn't have gone for a merger.
    I assume Croteam wanted more money and Devolver more direct control to ensure... Next big project from the studio won't be taking another 9 years.

Prior to that they could only put financial pressure on studio by giving them more or less (or no) money, now they can directly fire/replace people as they see fit.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Serious Sam 4 didn't take 9 years.
    After Sam 3, Croteam put out Talos Principle, it's DLC, multiple VR titles and Serious Sam Fusion... and then Serious Sam 4.

And, Devolver and Croteam have worked together for years. Even before they were Devolver they worked together.
    Devolver isn't like other publishers that wants to buy up companies to change them or force this or that. They are very focused on letting their studios do what they want.

scatman839 and Horus-Anhur like this.
  10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Update 1.05 is now available for Serious Sam 4...

Serious Sam 4 - 1.05 Changelog:

What's new?
    • Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Pick up a special Jack 'o Lantern in Death from Below, and behold as everything goes dark and new forces prey upon you. Too scared? Turn off seasonal content in the Game Options menu.
    • You can now use 5 new multiplayer characters (Dancing Denzel, Groovy Gregory, Pirate Pete, Boxer Barry, and Meatless Mike) in your co-op adventures. AND THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN HANDS IN FIRST PERSON VIEW. Unexpected, right?
    • It's Halloween, after all, so go dress up as your favorite Multiplayer character IN SINGLEPLAYER!
    • You can now customize your games even further thanks to a new custom difficulty setting which balances the multiplier for higher health enemies.
    • The Enemy Multiplayer option can now be set "per-player" for those of you who find joy in being absolutely destroyed in-game.
    • We have updated the SS4 Soundtrack. Owners now get MP3, AAC, and FLAC versions.

Performance and stability:
    • Further optimizations on SSAO quality and performance.
    • Fixed a rare crash caused by an empty gadget slot in the weapon wheel.
    • Fixed a crash occurring when the player has the weapon bar active during level change.

Gameplay fixes:
    • Per request, ammo amounts are now multiplied for all game modes, not just Single Player.
    • Witch brides are no longer multiplied. Ever.
    • Lava elementals now have a name in damage dealt recap when they hurt the player.
    • Netricsa entries should now get removed when skipping Man vs Beast in co-op, as intended.
    • The "death screen" will now show the amount of damage Lord Achriman dealt to your now deceased body.
    • You will no longer be able to use weapons while parachuting during the Ugh-Zan battle by using your filthy quick save / quick load glitch. Naughty, naughty.
    • Enemy multiplier now works even after you complete the level. Go nuts!
    • The weapon wheel now shows the number of available uses for every available gadget.
    • Fixed a bug where the player would keep weapons taken away on chapter if the client joined after the chapter that took away weapons was started. You got to earn your stuff; nothing is free.
    • You can no longer mount combat drones. You've had your fun. It's time we put a stop to it. We hate fun.
    • Fixed a bug where the client wouldn't open Netricsa if picking up a gadget that host already had or opening Netricsa multiple times when picking the same gadget if the host didn't pick it before.
    • Fixed an issue where real-time clock would not show up when enabled (via cvar).
    • Fixed issue in TP where players projectiles would go in strange directions when enemies and NPCs are just in front of the player.
    • Fixed an issue with the unlockable door in Vive La Resistance. The door will now unlock even if you finish all side missions and find all secrets. On the positive side, we know what to put on our vault now. That door is impenetrable.

Visual fixes:
    • Clients should now see the Time Warp effect when playing co-op.
    • Muzzle flashes will now be visible when Deagles are dual-wielded.
    • Gadget targeting trajectory and highlighted area are no longer visible during a cutscene.
    • The notorious T-Pose Knight is a goner. All hail the new and sexy not t-posing Knight.
    • Fixed issues with the terrain disappearing on the Citadel level. It was a trap, but you didn't fall for it, so we had to fix it.
    • Various visual improvements on prebaked lighting. No levels will be pink from now on.
    • The Mummy will now die a more dramatic death when you kill it. Almost as if it went to acting school.
    • Fixed a bunch of visibility and visual issues reported by my man Harry Poster. Thanks, brother! You're a superstar.
    • Various improvements of animations across several cutscenes.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.

11. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    So it seems main holdup was due to the "halloween event".
    No mentions on overall game performance or API specific fixes, which is a shame.

Booted the game out of curiosity and on first try it wouldn't render new frames when window was focused (but would update the screen when window was unfocused), it wasn't hung because i could still hover over buttons and hear them but still only thing i could do is let out a sigh.

Didn't happen on 2nd boot attempt and i didn't really bother to try any more.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    There is one performance entry in this changelog.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I really wish devs would stop doing this seasonal content thing for games that aren't MMOs (and even there it gets old really fast, imo).

Still to finish my run, I was kindly answered by Croteam member and suggested just restarting the level or using an older save, but don't feel like rerunning the entire level yet.
    No mention of grappling hook issues in patch notes so I'm guessing it is then related to corrupted save state or something.

14. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    Tried a few levels with this 1.05 update and in terms of performance nothing changed. I see their priority now is to make some new skins, themes, enemy multipliers and other "very important" things. One would think that in fast paced shooter like this, performance should be priority number one... whatever. I played some Doom Eternal recently and coming back to this is like coming back in time. This engine has it all:
    - atrocious load times
    - random stuttering and hitching while playing
    - bugged texture streaming
    - bad LOD transitions and objects pop-in even on Ultra preset
    - bad performance on hi-end rigs with frequent dips under 90FPS (little snobbish, I know)
    - OOB on almost all maps, no cheats required
    - aliasing everywhere despite all the AA methods in settings
    - ugly flickering, dithering and transitions in shadows
    etc.

At least the gameplay is great. I like this game, don't get me wrong, played trough it multiple times. But even after 5 patches this still looks and runs like a beta version in steam early access. Maybe after 10-20 more patches I will finally enjoy it properly. Like SS3 which runs great now on my 144Hz monitor - took only few years...:D

jbscotchman and AsiJu like this.
  15. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I put the game down for a bit, it ran crappy, hitching being the worst of it.
    Loaded it up yesterday and it is running great now, simple fun, run and gun.

AsiJu likes this.

16. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hi.
    Anyone have small stuttering and hitches from time to time, during gameplay?
    My pc is rtx 3090 gaming oc and 10850K + 32gb ram+psu Seasonic 850-Tx

temps are ok

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    serious sam 4 does hitch on crossing level cell barriers.

18. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Hmm, haven't played since 1.07 (don't know if there's a new patch), which has drastically increased performance overall, certainly feels more like SS.