Serious Sam 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Jul 15, 2020.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yep, same. Happens at least if you switch APIs so best use a preset for comparison purposes.

Patch also reset graphics settings to autodetect.
    Rest of the settings seemed to stick though.

I'm thinking of finding the .cfg or .ini or .xml file that contains the settings and just making a manual copy of it.
    That way I can restore settings from the backup if they revert.

2. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hello. All ultra,1440P during large combats i am gettin gsometimes drops to 50-55fps for split second. This is with many large amount of enemies,many blood and smoke. I have 2080 Ti Aorus Waterforce and 9700K. I tried to all MEDIUM and the same. I have new drivers. Win 10 1909v

But i have Dx11. On Vulkan is flawleslly smooth everytime like butter but i dont see fps counter. How to make work Msi Ab RTSS workin on vulkan?

3. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    RTSS OSD works for me using Vulkan, I didn't need to set anything special. However sometimes after changing the API RTSS won't hook it, so the game needs to be closed and reopened again manually, so try that. Or try to restart Afterburner before starting the game.

The game also has internal FPS counter if you need only that - open the console with "~" key and enter command prf_bShowFPS=1 to enable or prf_bShowFPS=0 to disable.

AsiJu and jmmy23 like this.
  4. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    With Vulkan fps is similiar. I mean when there are many enemies and explosions or smoke it can drop to 49-55s etc for split second. Dont mean that is everytime,sometimes just. Its depends how many smoke and explosions in on screen. The most time is 66fps +above. Game is gorgeous i love it.

Thx dezo. I used prf_bShowFPS=1

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    AsiJu likes this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Vulkan cannot be hooked into while app is running so if you start the game in DX11 and switch to Vulkan, you must restart the game for RTSS OSD to appear again.

I think I found the settings which have the largest impact on performance:
    Rendering distance and Dynamic shadows distance.
    Both are under CPU performance options.

I set these to absolute minimum and got about 20 ... 30 fps more in places.
    Yes there's a ton of pop in but I'll rather take a higher and more stable framerate for the time being.

6. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I think my 9700K is too slow lol.
    When on screen are massive enemies,many explosions etc i am getting drops to 45 fps even.
    Dialing down CPU QUALITY settings to LOWEST and 65fps in that moments.
    So 9700K too slow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  7. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    It's not too slow, the game just doesn't draw more resources even if it needs them and they're readily available.
    It can run into CPU bottleneck while CPU remains at 20-50% usage and it would never take more.

With patches GPU usage seems to get better and better but it's still not 100% all the time as it should be.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    16threads are recommended for this game you have 8threads. Hows the usage?

9. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    So change for 10900k?. Ok i have found swapping to directx 12 is better around 5-10frames.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  10. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    Your CPU is not the problem. I have the same 8-core without HT and usage during intense fight scenes is about 70-90% on the first core and about 20-40% on the others. I doubt that 16 threads will make any difference here, the game optimization just sucks right now. But they are working on it (according to Steam messages). Vulkan performs the best for me, but there are some short hiccups and stutters when moving on map. Sadly this is also present in dx11, but not that often. First seconds after the level loading are the worst, maybe their weird textures streaming implementation is the culprit.

Meanwhile I tried their latest version of The Talos Principle and the engine seems to be exactly the same and with the same problems when using Vulkan API - random annoying stuttering. But that game is much less demanding, so using dx11 there is OK even for 144 FPS and doesn't stutter at all. Don't know what they did to the poor engine while developing SS4...

11. jmmy23

jmmy23 Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I swapped to VULKAN from Dx11 ( or Dx 12 ) and its better maybe 6 frames.weird. I testing that big fight scene in Deus Machinina chapter

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    New update just released...
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/257420/announcements/detail/2900839786366884158

Hi everyone!
    Just in time for your weekend Serious Sam 4 sessions, in comes a brand new exciting update. With this one, we're adding some cool new features like more battles on the vast countryside of France, as well as support for saving your coop progress. Finally, you may say. And you're right.

Other than that, we have a ton of fixes and tweaks. We're listing the most important ones below.

What's new?
    • By popular demand, and totally not because we messed up, the game will now save your inventory in your profile upon finishing a level in co-op. This means you can now continue your playthrough without losing all your stuff. Keep in mind that using cheats will prevent the inventory from saving.
    • The "show weapon wheel" and "select last weapon" functions can now be bound to the same button, with the weapon wheel being shown upon holding the button.
    • The vast emptiness of the France level has been filled up. Find the filling, and kill it. Let us know how you did.
    • You can now press the weapon wheel button shortly to switch to your last weapon. Holding it will still show the weapon wheel.
    • You can now customize your game difficulty by adjusting the enemy multiplier.

Stability and performance:
    • Fixed an issue where the game would sometimes crash during longer Netricsa browsing sessions.
    • Fixed a rare issue where some supported GPUs would be marked as unsupported by mistake.
    • Various smaller performance and stability tweaks and fixes across GPU APIs.

Gameplay fixes and changes:
    • Fixed an issue where specific Netricsa messages would not show up when intended.
    • Pyro now has fire coming out of his flamethrower. He sent his original one for replacing. It was obviously broken.
    • Piercing weapons will now actually pierce enemies when you shoot them from close range, and not fly out randomly.
    • We have bought a new Grenade launcher for Sam. This new model can shoot continuously if you keep the LMB pressed.
    • Enemies will no longer start to moonwalk after you shoot them from close range. They will die as all things should.
    • Do you remember how big enemies outside of the black hole don't explode when killed? Well, they do now.
    • You can now use your finishing moves on Harpies as well.

Visual fixes and changes:
    • The default color settings have been tweaked to liven things up. If you wish to adjust them further, please use the Color Options menu.
    • Sam's sprinting animation will no longer be activated randomly with the Born to Run skill unlocked.
    • The Volcano on Gates of Hell finally erupted. It has particles and all.
    • The ol' Tractor now has a moving wheel. It's crazy, I know.
    • Various tweaks of the third person melee attacks.
    • The laser now has a slightly improved secondary fire animation.
    • Fixed issues with some Processed, Gnaar, and Beheaded melee finishing animations.
    • Pyro will no longer do the Vogue T-Pose in the air when damaged. We don't like dancers.

Other changes:
    • Asian languages now have proper word wrapping.
    • Various localization fixes for all languages. This is still work in progress, so you are more than welcome to report remaining issues with subtitles and/or menu strings.

As always, We are doing our best to stay involved within the community, and even if we're not actively engaging at all times, we are looking out for your feedback. Please continue providing it, as every feature request you make is always up for consideration. For general feedback, please use Steam forums or Reddit, and if you want to hang out with the rest of the community in a more casual manner, we are always available on our Discord.

13. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Absolutely no change on the performance front for me
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It just _does not_ take up more resources to boost framerate, even if they're available.

14. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Haha, gotta love Croteam for their humour. I had quite the giggle reading their update changelog. :)

15. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    Funny changelog, crappy performance - same as before. I think I will put this game aside until they decide to actually do something with the engine optimization. Overblown color saturation and some marginal GUI / graphical tweaks won't cut it for me.

16. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Yeah, i'm kinda slowly losing hope they'll actually improve the performance itself. Stuttering seems mostly gone but over the course of all 4 patches the performance on my end is all the same.

When i reported it, only word i got back is that it looks to them like CPU bottleneck.
    I mean, does it really?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even when maxed out, CPU is nowhere near being maxed out, normally i would even accept plausible bottleneck if it was at least consistent 80% but most of the time it's around 50%.
    Only thing i can imagine is that their engine relies on actually having a lot of threads which are lowly utilized rather than having few of them pushed to their capacity.
    That would explain the "8 core" requirement and imply they meant actual physical cores rather than any combo like 4 two-threaded cores.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ FWIW I'm actually seeing the game favour physical cores heavily over logical (hyperthreaded) ones so could be the case.

I have on average moderate use on all physical cores, no use (practically) on any logical ones and core 0 sees most usage by far.

8c / 16t here.

18. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    It also seems recent update did quietly remove self-shadows on viewmodels, even on ultra settings the weapons don't cast shadows onto themselves anymore.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Set it to read only.

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The newest update did not reset graphical settings.

Also, while performance didn't increase with this update, stuttering/hitching and pausing when loading levels and starting new locations definitely improved.
    Much smoother.
    It's funny that people expect some magical turn around patch to instantly flip a switch and make the game perfectly optimized.
    Ignoring the fact that Croteam have pushed out three updates for the game in two weeks.