Series 7! these prices are ridiculous

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by xgpu, Jul 11, 2005.

1. tytlyf

tytlyf Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga
    the 7800GT will be out soon and cost $449.99. This price is confirmed.

2. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    The 7800 GTX is where all the glamour is, but exceptionally few graphics card purchases are 7800 GTXs.

NVidia's low-end FX cards are still the big sellers--mostly to entry-level gamers who don't know much about video cards.

For example, my brother in law had his computer toasted by a lightning strike a while back. Waiting and waiting for the insurance company was too much. He thought about going SLI, but the entry fee was too steep. So he just bought replacement motherboard (Athlon XP, I think) and an FX5700 256 MB. This, my fellow gurus, is the bread and butter of computer gaming.

3. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    I dont think anyone has guessed the reason for these redicilous prices.

nVidia, manufacturers and stores are selling them for $600 because there is no competition out there by ATi or any other competetor (If there is any...other than ATi) just watch until ATi releases their new cards the Geforce 7 prices will lower like mad.

4. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    yep. its the battle for customers that brings the prices down, and a temporary pseudo monopoly over the high end video card marked lets nvidia dictate the prices.

5. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT Golden Samp
    I think i'll skip this new generation, i don't think it offers a huge performance increase (single card) over the 6800Ultra/GT. No way in the world am i paying over $850AUD for less than 20FPS for a 7800GT, the 7800GTX is a bit more powerful but i still don't see myself buying it. My Gainward 6800GT GS cost me $730AUD 7 months ago.

I'm currently hooked on BF2, and even with my specs i'm able to run the game on average 70-80FPS (according to FRAPS) 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF everything on High in game (yea 1024x768, i like that res, my preference :p). I can't ask for anything more than that.

I talk for myself and no one else so this is my opinion. But as some people have said, some people want the latest and greatest, if you got the money to upgrade go for it and enjoy.

6. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    COre speeds mean little between those 2 comparisons. The 7800gtx is about 20x faster than the fx5950 in anything Pixel Shader. It has a lot better FSAA quality and performance even with only a small improvement in video memory speed. It's got improved SM3 performance. Full HD video hardware acceleration including wmv, Mpeg2, and the new HD format from Apple. New transparent Anti Aliasing modes for the best IQ when games use a lot of alpha transparencies.

The price is rather high, but for the amount of extra's you get with the card, if I had the money, I'd get one or 2. ;)

7. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    Hey everyone thanks for the feedback wow that was a pretty big topic, yeah I seen all of your pov's (point of views) and learned a thing here and there about marketing patterns made by these hardware manufacturers if, anything. I was just not seeing a whole lot (hardware-wise) that could justify prices leaps made sometimes. I was figuring, some internal changes here and there within the GPU to reduce latency, the 11ns process but...other than that, the memory is the same which is, usually is the big reason for higher card costs. But, once again I see all of your point of views, much appreciated.

Dr. Freeze, no I'm not making the "my GPU is older and has more MHZ thing" in to a big deal, I know the biggest differences are usually more internal than speed e.g. any increase in pixel pipelines, memory bus, latency...

8. mangelo

mangelo New Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT
    FWIW, prices haven't gone up much. I paid 300.00 for a 3DFX 5500 in 2000 (GeForce2GTS was 300.00 also, and a VIVO radeon was 399.99), my 9700 pro was 300.00, 400 for a 6800GT in July 2004, so yeah, I can see 450.00 or 500.00 for a 7800-based vid card.

9. RaStAsMuRf

RaStAsMuRf Master Guru

GPU:
    512mb EVGA 8800GTS
    Quite honestly, I can't imagine how anyone could persuade themselves to part with that much money for a single component. If I were absolutely filthy rich then fine, but as it is I would rather spend my money elsewhere, and not have to keep dishing out stacks of cash on graphics cards / other hardware.

Still, there will always be a market for them. The concept of buying 2 6800 Ultras or 7800's boggles the mind :p

10. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    Who compares a 5950u to a 7800gtx

Mhz means ****.

11. F!shyz0r

F!shyz0r Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6600GT 128MB @ 560 / 1150
    DUDE.... i am still happy with my 5900XT it gets 110 fps in the timedemo on CS:S ...... nothin' to worry about... bought it for 239 euros great card over about 2 years my card will be the same as a gf4 mx440 is now :\ i don't mind i can play games!!! i'll never own an highend card in my student life... its just too expensive... but hey! why just overclock an midrange card like crazy and almost beat an highend! i swear my card now prestates better then a stock 5950Ultra you will never need the highends trust me.. its only because it gets that 500 points more on 3dmark05 :S don't get it... it doesn't matter me that i have 50 fps over 70 :S you wont feel the difference that much

Cheers, i hope you understand the information..

12. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Mate, its called a hobby... some ppl spend it on cars, some ppl on other things. I buy my pc gear, cos i love PC's and fiddling with them, testing out new hardware etc. There are plenty of other hobbies that are just as expensive if not more expensive. If u dont wanna spend that much, that understandable, go grab yourself a midrange card and be happy, but for ppl like me, we are enthusiasts, and buy the best cos we enjoy our interest.

13. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    I concur with you MikeMK. Some people think nothing of spending a few hundred on fine wine when dining out... so after a few missed restaurant meals, there's the money..

14. thepure907

thepure907 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT
    Cybermarine has it right. Nvidia is like microsoft they have us caught up in a monopoly and when ATi releases a comperable card the prices on both will lower like there is no end in sight

15. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 6800 (12x1,6vp)
    I agree with u too MikeMK. You also cleared up something I didn't notice. Which is that school students like me can't be enthusiasts. That's why only a very few of us can get these stuff...

16. phazel

phazel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800gtx 490/1.3
    it can be had for $463 shipped right now

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If I was a millionare I would Go SLI.

Its newer technology such as more pipelines ect.. Thats what videocard buyers are paying for.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  18. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    i belive the prices are soo high because it was released so soon after the 6800s... have you noticed that they still cost a bit of money?
    They cant have a product compete with another prodoct of thier own.
    The last generation of videocards are still expensive so this gen is even more pricey.

19. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    soon after the 6800's? the 6800's were announced around april 2004, and were in wide availablilty by june 2004, so I dont really think thats 'soon', not in the graphics card industry. It more suprising nvidia didnt release a refresh around xmas!
    As for being expensive, yes, they are, but no more than a 6800Ultra was when they 1st hit. Infact, some makes at certain places are probably a little cheaper than a 6800Ultra was. Seen gigabytes for £380, and a year ago it would have been hard to find an ultra below £400.

20. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    Hi Guys,

Agreed, Today modern new video card is too expensive replace every 6 to 1 yr cycles.

I bought Pny 6800 128 mb 256bit for 199.99 on black friday sale. :D

Peace