Series 7! these prices are ridiculous

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by xgpu, Jul 11, 2005.

1. xgpu

xgpu Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 @ 900/1340
    How can you justify the cost of a Series 7 card? sure ok, GPU changes and lower latency maybe more pixel pipelines but the memory is still 256mb GDDR3 running around 1.2ghz and core GPU speed is just about the same infact my FX5950 was 475 at default. Where's the $600.00 value? it's going to get to the point where you're going to have to consider "hmmm...graphics card? or down payment for a vehicle?" they act like we suddenly got paid more. Excuse the frustration but the main intent for this thread is to see how many people out there feel the same way. I've always owned top of the line cards but ever since the Series 6 it's been way too ridiculous. It's not like you can say "I'll wait till series XX comes down in prices because, by time that happens it's because it's obsolete to modern games.

2. flexmaster

flexmaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1800XT 512mb/ 6800 GO
    You can get a BFG 7800GTX for 530 at Dell after coupon. And it costs soo much cause u can run everything thats out now at 1600x1200 with 4aa and 8af at 60FPS, when the 5950 came out it couldn't do that.

3. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    A Geforce 7800 GTX is only a little more expensive than a 6800 Ultra PCI-e, and cheaper than the 512 MB model.

Still $600 is a lot.

4. stalkersoftware

stalkersoftware Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC @ 380/800
    Yeah 6800U 512mb cards are around $700 :eek: only a moron would buy this over a 7800GTX :p

xgpu
    6800 is under $200 as of now. months back I bought mine for around $280 :rolleyes:
    You always have to pay more if you want the latest and the best. When the 6800GT first came out they used to cost $450-500..

5. Brettbeck

Brettbeck Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX7800GTX
    I think graphics card prices do come down, but very slow and not by much. I agree the 7 series do seem abit expensive at the moment. I think companies like nvidia would earn much more profit by making their cards much cheaper and selling millions rather than charging ridiculous prices and selling not many.

6. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7600GT XXX 256MB VIVO
    As long as people buy the videocards at those prices they won't be lowered by nVidia.

7. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    Honestly, unless you are a die hard benchmark addict or need those extra fps, the 6800 gt can handle anything with good fps right now. It still is a really rock solid card. Right now there's really no NEED to get the 7800gtx. 6800 handles everything just fine.

EDIT: and especially if you have a LCD screen and can't go above 1280x1024.

8. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    I dont think the production cost for the geforce 7800gtx is 600 euro... If they were around 200/300 euro we all bought one..

9. kooty

kooty Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX *2 (SLi)
    well, the reason that nVIDIA has the price cranked up in the begining is because they dont have many cards to sell............ the only people that would even think of buying 2 7800GTXs on the release day are die-hard benchmarkers, or hardcore gamers......... just watch the prices, theyll go down cause of the lower production costs for the 7800 (11nm process opposed to the 13 of the 6800)

10. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    they also need to charge a lot for the high end cards to fund the research for the next gen

sure they can just sell a lot of mid end cards, but unless they make a lot of extra cash, they cant do research for the next gen, and the whole thing slows down

sure the prices are climbing, but i dont really mind, you can find a lot of bargains, and i for one dont need a 7800GTX, heck my crt wont do over 1280*1024, and anything over 4xAA and no AF is wasted on my eyes anyway

if you get a 6800 right now you will pay about 200 bucks, and that card will last you a long time

and if your serious about the whole "my old card cost less but had more megahertz" thing, you shouldnt be making threads here, you should be reading them.... a lot....

11. Smokey21

Smokey21 Guest

Some people can afford the best, and want the best. I don't consider them really expensive.

I could of got one here in the UK for around £350 if i wanted. I payed 387quid for my X800XT PE last June. i think once they hit 450, then that is to high.

I think the only negative in my view, is the fact it's still only 256mb, but it's no biggie really, 512mb, would be way to expensive.

nvidia have tweaked all sorts, and it's just the fastest card out there at the mo. In some benchies, such as BF2 and Riddick you will see the differnece a lot over a 6800 or X850.

It also depends on what monitor you have. I do think it's a waste for anyon with a 17" or 19" LCD, but those of us who can do 1600x1200 nicely, it's great.

12. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 6800 (12x1,6vp)
    I agree that they are so damn expensive. FOR ANYONE!! Paying $600 for a card is too much! Do they want us to f**king steal??!!

13. Orlandoe211

Orlandoe211 Guest

I got my BFG 6800GT for $260 during Xmas 04' so i was lucky! I would never, ever, ever, pay that much for a vc. UNLESS, I was a millionaire or close to it that i needed to blow money cuz i was bored... but since im not ill upgrade in a year or so... :)

I can live with 50+ FPS in games. I dont need 100+ FPS in games... no need.

14. SGLC

SGLC Member

GPU:
    XFX6600GT 256mb DDR3
    Very wise, and agreed
    I also agree with the other person about the next generation reasearch costs etc

Considering that once the cards are on a mass production line, and cost next to nothing to assemble (electricity to power the machines/tools) it's hardly worth $600

Something like $220 would be respectable but that's never going to happen on first release

15. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    They also have such a high price as they KNOW people WILL pay it just so they have the fastest thing available. Its the same thing with the fx57, its bleeding 750 quid over here. The fx55 which is identical just clocked slower is 550. Stupid money!!! I have decided to wait on upgrading now (mainly due to a huge arguement with my other half on that i am childish just because i want to spend my own money :mad:) but anywhoo i will wait to see what ati can bring to the party so to speak.

16. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    Nope thats were your wrong.

My 6800 GT, when playing a Rome Total War (everything set to max, low AA, 1280x960) custom battle, I have seen my FPS go into the single digits. So unless 8 FPS is playable for someone then the 6800 GT can't handle anything with good FPS these days.

Which to me is completely unsatisfactory, and as soon as I can afford to, I will be building myself an uber gaming machine.

And also when you think about how much nVidia makes on a card you forget to facter:

Stores mark up the cost they pay for something by 100% in some cases, I am not sure how much newegg buys them for but I bet newegg makes at least $100 on a sale.

The Maker, BFG, gigabyte, Leadtek etc get their fare share of money from the production costs.

And finally nVidia gets money for making the chips, but they also have to pay off Research and Development.

17. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    Yes yes but as this topic saz...: The graphic card (the 7800gtx) is way too expensive, if nvidia wil lower the prices, more ppl wil buy one. And Nvidia will make more profit...

So its better for us and for nVidia.. :)

18. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I,m gonna wait awhile longer to upgrade and also wait to see what ati brings to the party,also mean i,ll have to get a new mobo as well as i,ve got an agp GT,the gtx will come down a few $$ when other models are out??but right now i,m upgrading to a 4000+ 939 cpu and a decent mobo to sqeeze out some more performace from my 6800GT,since before it was teamed up with a a64 3200+ and a budget gigabyte mobo

19. Jdoggg12

Jdoggg12 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800GT
    Why are you whining about the prices... if you don't have the money, don't buy it. It's like b!tching that a Corvette costs too much.... quit yer snivelling and go buy the best that you CAN afford.

20. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    I agree totally Jdoggg12, simply snivelling about the price of the latest/greatest hardware is silly. People, you're dreaming to believe that nVidia is going to price these things out at such low prices. Of course they're expensive, it will always be the case with bleeding edge-bits. (Although these cards undercut the release prices of the 6800U here in Australia by over $AU200 so I didn't see it as bitter a pill to swallow as the 6 series release was.)

Anyway, the 7800GT is about to come out with all its fanfare for around $US100 less than the 7800GTX. Looks like a better "bang for bucks" solution for the more cash-strapped enthusiast. Going on some benchmarks I've seen it easily outperforms a 6800 Ultra and it's single-slot.