seperate heatpipe from heatsink

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by SentinelAeon, Aug 30, 2018.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hello,

I have plenty of heatpipes with heatsinks at home from various old laptops. I want to use them. Most of them seems to be soldered. I heard heatpipes can explode in quite an awesome way and i would like to avoid that if possible.

I have some heatpipes that have only 1 soldered point - i could put them into my oven and if placed the right way, 2 pieces should just fall apart when temperature is high enough, also this way if anything explodes, i will be far away. I would like to avoid using soldering iron or stove since this way i have to hold the "bomb", if u know what i mean.

So, is this doable ? Is there a better way ?

On the image i suplied u can see 2 parts i want to remove: the far left square and the middle square. This image is just an example. The heatsink on the right i want to keep.

[​IMG]

2. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Well i tried my idea, put it into the oven at 200C (400F) for 10 minutes. I tried 150C but didnt work, 10 minutes at 200C(400F) worked. I did notice though that the heatpipe expanded, so i could say i was lucky that it didnt explode (but then again i was recording it all so explosion would be spectacular also). I will now try it with 5-10 heatpipes in the oven at once and see what happens. If anyone has better idea i would still like to hear it. I thought about heatgun - that way i would be only heating 1 part of the heatpipe and probably quickly separate them. But then i wouldnt be protected like i am if heatpipes are in the oven behind thick glass.