SemiAccurate gets some GTX480 scores

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by chipa66, Feb 21, 2010.

1. chipa66

chipa66 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 285GTX @ 720/1500
  2. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Correction: SA claims that someone else got some scores, then vaguely states a 5% advantage, then says DX11 performance is doubled on the gtx480....then tries to downplay it by saying "it was not meant to be a gaming card" waaaaaa!!!!

3. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I'm not an Nvidia fan, but really...

Does this tell you anything?

4. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    Links to semiaccurate should be banned. Nothing good really ever comes from there

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's a very negatively written article, but its actually pretty positive from an Nvidia point of view.

Considering who wrote the article, and the fact they only mention one DX11 benchmark and even without drivers its over twice as quick as the 5870, and say it should be same price.

I'd be happy with those results for that price.

6. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Agreed.
    I do believe it will be faster, but in games that aren't really tesselation-heavy, I don't expect it to be more than 30%~ faster than an HD5870.

But:

Like hell; they could sell them for ridiculous prices even if Charlie was right, since lots of loyal Nvidia fanboys would still go for it. They'll definitely produce way more than 8k of those cards, even if they fail.

7. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
    The Top 5 Articles on the right made me laugh.

This guy must be a fat kid who thinks some1 belive on this articles.

Dont belive on him , really , look the way he writes.

8. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As i posted on the other thread.

17th February 2010
    Nvidia's Fermi GTX480 is broken and unfixable
    This puts any hope for Nvidia out until 2011 for anything but PR stunts

20th February 2010
    The same people are benchmarking it, doesn't time fly when you have a grudge, a whole year went by in what felt like 3days.

9. chipa66

chipa66 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 285GTX @ 720/1500
    I've been a loyal Nvidia customer since my Ti4600 but there is no way in hell I'm paying premium price for a card that idles at 70C and is only 5% faster than a 5870. Anyone who does is nuts. I certainly hope that the situation is not that bleak but if Charlie's right, Nvidia knows there is no way they can charge substantally more than what the 5870 is selling for.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  10. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    There is no way Nvidia are going to sell a card that idles at 70c, it would cost them a fortune in RMA costs, either Charlie is fibbing, or they have a early model, either is good news.

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    "Nvidia's Facebook site says that the Fermi card offers hardware support for GPU overvoltaging for extreme overclocking"

That is proof that the rumours are B.S, no way would they have official tools like that if was 'too hot' etc

12. chipa66

chipa66 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 285GTX @ 720/1500
    I agree with you on this but I was just countering the argument that Nvidia customers would buy the next generation of cards at any price regardless of the performance gains or thermal problems. By the way, your reference to Charlie's statement that cards would not be available until 2011 - he was talking about the cards being available in significant quantities and was also referring to Nvidia's fiscal year, not calendar year 2011.

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Anyone fired the latest ATI card from a 790i based board? Cause it's looking pretty good at this point to me. My ability to "hang in there" is waning each put-off projected release date.

14. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I don't know what makes you say that, I would only ever buy Nvidia cards but if the GTX480 isn't under $600aus, and is anything less than 30% more powerful than the 5870 across the board, then I will give it a mis and wait for a refresh, no way am I dishing out 600 for a 50% power upgrade which would choke and die on DX11 multiplats on the next gen of console's.

If I buy a card it had damn better last, I've had my card for 2.5yrs now, I expect close to a 100% power increase for my next upgrade.

15. chipa66

chipa66 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 285GTX @ 720/1500
    You are not reading or including the first part of my statement. I was disagreeing with PeeZee who said that Nvidia fanboys would pay almost any price for the card. I am essentially making the same argument as you.

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No, the xbitlabs article stated FY, which was something i pointed out when people were taking it as calendar year.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/...e_Pull_Stride_Next_Quarter_CEO_of_Nvidia.html

Charlies article does not state Fiscal, or financial year, not even FY, it clearly states..
    http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/17/nvidias-fermigtx480-broken-and-unfixable/

So either he got it wrong, opted to omit the who FY side of it for his own agenda, or he didn't know what FY meant and thought it meant next year.

Take your pick.

17. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Um ...... Ok....... Isn't this a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black? ........... Doesn't this forum offer spell check when posting something? Just saying. I hope this line of cards rocks. I have been waiting to get out of my 4890's since the 5 series ATI released, just want to get what is going to perform better for me.

:puke2:

18. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I see,

O.T

The rumours about it requiring too much power also seem to be B.S

The wiki was updated and it states the power for the 480 at "~225" which would allow a lot of headroom

@OvR|<|LL

Or maybe it's because he comes from Brazil, you can't expect everyone to have perfect English when they come from countries where it is not the primary language, spell check also does not check for grammatical errors, only spelling mistakes, tuck your insecurity away, it's ok.

19. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    How is that even pot and kettle?
    Does AshCation write for a website to promote his own agenda?

Also how good is your Portugese?

20. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
    Im sorry I dont know writes perfect in english , I only want to share my opinion.

I dont have website and this kind of stuff.