Seemingly unsolvable 8800GT problem...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by You es eh, Jun 9, 2008.

1. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Bottom line slow down the core and memory it's just that simple. If you don't know how to exactly overclock a card I suggest you don't mess with it because you won't gain much unless you get a better cooling gpu system etc.

2. You es eh

You es eh Member

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 512MB
    I'm not trying to overclock the card at all. Both it and my cpu are stock. When troubleshooting the temp of my cpu, I even turned the speed of it down to 11x200=2200mhz with my ram running at 333mhz and still got my freezing problem. The cpu was running at around 49C according to my bios at that speed.

As Marley pointed out, the sensor could definitely be wrong, but I'm going to clean and resink my cpu with new paste just incase. I don't know if it's possible to have a bad cpu sensor and good chipset sensors, but i'm getting temps across the rest of my board including ambient temps all in the high 30's and within acceptable range according to Speedfan. It's really just my cpu and gpu that run in the 50's. With Rivatuner setting my fanspeed to 56% my gpu idles at 51-52C and with Speedfan running my other fans at 100% my cpu idles at 48-54C depending on the temp of my room (day vs night).

I don't know how trustworthy Speedfan is as i've heard conflicting things about it, but my cpu definitely hasn't hit 57C idle (again, according to Speedfan) since I started using it.

I'd like to overclock my cpu if I can ever get this problem straightened out, but I'm afraid of the heat already being generated at stock speeds.

3. You es eh

You es eh Member

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 512MB
    Well, just reapplied thermal paste using the pea-size method. Doesn't seem to have had any effect. I also used a multimeter to test the 5 and 12 volt rails on my PSU and they were rock-steady with Prime95 running and my cpu at load. The voltage didn't even vary by a hundredth of a volt.

Sooo, all I'm really left with is an incompatibility between either my mobo or my chipset, and the PNY 8800gt. The incompatability seems to be affected by the drivers I use. Right now I'm using 169.xx drivers and it is undoubtedly more stable than the 175.xx or beta drivers. Kinda sucks though because now I know I'm going to have a really tough time upgrading drivers in the future.

My friend has my exact mobo and an eVGA 8800gt with no problems, so I dunno. I woulda bought that one anyway if frys had any either of the times I was there.

Anyways. Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate the time you took to reply.

4. Tapedispenser

Tapedispenser New Member

GPU:
    EN8800GT 1 Gig
    Having the same trouble with my EN8800GT card, brand new, just built pc three days ago, did numerous installs of os and formats, reading a zillion posts about this on the net, still found no good answer. Im running on

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.22GHz
    4 Gig Ram
    Vista32bit

My PSU and coolings are all up to date, been using/building pcs for like 10 years and never had this trouble before :eek: now its been eating my brains out for the last 3 days and i really dunno what to do. Done all stress tests and crap and everything is working fine. But it boots me out of 3d heavy games and giving me random bsods with nv4disp.dll error. Seriously considering never buying an nvidia card again, since i never had any trouble with ati cards... kinda shame when i jsut dished out a ****load of money on this crap heap

5. You es eh

You es eh Member

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 512MB
    Welcome to the club :)

What drivers are you using? I'm getting the most stability with 169.21. Biggest downside there is that they're otherwise terrible drivers for the games I'm trying to play. Shader 3.0 runs horribly with these. The latest 175 driver works beautifully, but my system becomes completely unstable.

To be honest, I haven't frozen in awhile now, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, what games are you getting booted from?

6. Tapedispenser

Tapedispenser New Member

GPU:
    EN8800GT 1 Gig
    :eek:

using drivers 169.25 downloaded from asus site. Cant seem to find the one you talk about. Card boots me out of games like AOC, Assasins Creed, cod4, but let me play gta san andreas(hurray, as if i hadnt played that one til i got too tired of it^^) shame since i upgraded my pc to play ie assasins creed.
    gonna try update bios on gfx card now, but just got phone from dealer i bought it with and he wanted to replace it for me with another brand of my choice. Still would like to get this card to work instead, as it gave me 90 fps on really high gfx setting on AOC, dont help when i get to play for only 2-5 mins tho. And with the **** i been tru to get this stuff to work its harldy worth dishing out all the money and time for:(

7. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I hardly see how you'd be able to post your death on YouTube if you're dead.

8. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    So, have you both tried enabling the "AGP P2P Deep Fifo" setting in your BIOS already?

9. Tapedispenser

Tapedispenser New Member

GPU:
    EN8800GT 1 Gig
    Using a M2N-SLI motherboard, and i cant seem to find a lot of the stuff in bios that people talk about:/ i updated the bios to the last version available.

10. You es eh

You es eh Member

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 512MB
    AoC gave me tons of problems too. If I didn't have the problem I experienced, I would recommend the latest 175 drivers from the nvidia site.

And yeah, I tried that AGP setting after coming across info about it on the forums, no effect for me.

And to Laykun...obviously you've never youtubed your own death before :p

11. Fahim

Fahim Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB Bl
    Did u actually try changing the PSU with another one? I had Antec TruePower Trio 650W, and it was terrible with my 8800 GTS 320MB. And checking a PSU with multimeter may give you right voltage, but how abt the amps? Try change the PSU and see what happens, because you are describing the exact problems i had with my antec PSU.