Seeking Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rumpus01, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    My mind has been lingering on upgrades recently, and I'm thinking I should go the CPU/MB route. I think my 2.6GHz CPU speed is a little slow. I know I could overclock it, but I've spent loads of time doing that before and find it very difficult to get stable. I ran it at 3.6 for a year until some BSODs started. I'd just rather not deal with overclocking at this point.

Is DDR4 a must for a new build in this day and age? I have DDR3 1600 in my current rig, so that could carry over to many 1150 socket boards. Then I'd only have to purchase a MB and CPU.

I've had my current rig for 6 years. I'm struggling with this upgrade idea because I don't want to waste the parts I have since they still work. What do you guys typically do; sell them?

The motivation for this upgrade is gaming performance. I'd ask if it would be smarter to get a new GPU, but my 660Ti is not that old, and I'd rather spend money on parts that would be more likely to die and are already out of warranty. I've also noticed that games ran much better during the various phases when I did have an overclock.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.