1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking help 60 fps 120hz

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Light420, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Light420

Light420 New Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 ti 6gb
    60 fps seems abit slower, however it is also the go to for fps?
    my machine is a 4790k and gtx 980ti ftw 16gig ram 2133, hero vii mobo.

my system cannot do 120fps of everything, not even alot of modern things. but games like metro exodus and assassins creed origins, i want to have the best fluid experience , so seeing that i cannot get 120fps in those games, i have the benqxl2420t monitor, i use TFT centrals guide for its settings.

Reccomendations?

i cannot seem to choose between Adaptive half refresh rate or this new scanline sync on RTSS, or capping fps at 60 with RTSS. or what... agh... any help appreciated.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    You can add other modes. 90Hz for example to play at 90FPS vsync. You can use ToastyX CRU for that. I've been doing that for a long time before I switched to a g-sync display. I had 80Hz, 90Hz and 100Hz modes, and used the appropriate one for each game, depending on the FPS I could run it at.

3. Light420

Light420 New Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 ti 6gb
    Nvidia control panel will allow me to also add custom resolutions, can i use that? So you say that a custom resolution with which mode of vsync enabaled? Custom reso+ Nvidia control panels profile Vsync on with Trip buffering??

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    If it works then use that. In my case, some games didn't work with modes added through the nvidia panel, so I used CRU (which I actually find easier to use since I can export the EDID to a file and just restore that after driver updates.)

The triple buffering thing doesn't matter in my experience except in older OpenGL games which don't need it anyway (since they run at very high FPS on a 980 Ti.)

Another way to get higher FPS is to use a lower resolution and then use the lumasharpen shader in ReShade (or the new "sharpen" filter in the latest GeForce experience.) For 1440p displays, this allows you to use 1080p and have it look almost as good as on an actual 1080p display (the high DPI of a at most 27" 1440p display helps a lot here.)

If you already have a 1080p display, then you can use 900p (1600x900) and have it still look quite decent.

You can also combine these methods. For example a custom 90Hz mode at native resolution, then forced GPU scaling in NVCP and 1600x900 in-game resolution with ReShade lumasharpen or NVE "sharpen." Mix and match. I was always able to get very decent results.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    fluidz likes this.

5. Light420

Light420 New Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 ti 6gb
    Awesome, ok ill try that. Ty