1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking a new 2.1 system to succeed my legendary Altec Lansing's

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DSparil, Jan 13, 2018.

1. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    So after well over a decade of trusty performance, I am putting my old Altec Lansing VS4121's to rest and selling them on the e of the bay. Can anyone here recommend a great 2.1 PC Speaker setup that won't break the bank? I'm really not looking to go much over a hundo or so, and one set that has caught my eye is the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup http://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers?model=promedia-2-1. Any Guru's have any thoughts on that one? Perhaps there is a better recommendation for the price range? I wouldn't be paying full retail on their site btw, I have a better priced lead on those for < 100.

I've heard Logitech's new THX certified offering and wasn't all that impressed. For the money, these Altec Lansings have really served me well over the years, and while I'm looking for something different, I'd like it to be a solid step up. I figured I'd get some opinions out there before I jumped on the Klipsch's!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    - duplicate -

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. Jamin280672

Jamin280672 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 8gb Boost
    I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but do you have a Hi-Fi system or anything like that, with an optical in or aux input ?

Ive got a creative sound blaster AE-5 which I run a 5 meter cable (3.5mm jack from sound card to aux) to a Sony 300w separates amp which then has 2 floor standing 200w speakers connected to it, it booms, wouldn't have it any other way.

4. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^Nice, that sounds boss! Naa, right now I have a bit of an old school Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme card with the standard 3.5 jack. I mean I have an entirely different home audio setup in my living room with all of that crap, but my PC is 100% separate from that.

5. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well well well, this just in! I just stumbled onto a set of Onkyo SKW-200's with sub for about $40! How tough would it be to pickup a cheap receiver or amp, and run an audio cable out of my 3.5mm sound card jack to receiver to power these speakers? Is that overkill and just not happening? Or maybe I could even HDMI from my GPU to a receiver...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. Jamin280672

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 8gb Boost
    You can get an amp dead cheap on ebay for about £40, and no, not overkill, the cables are a couple of quid / dollars.

I'm using one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-LONG-...942349&hash=item51ca551ad1:g:Y3MAAOxyi-ZTaT~B

With one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-St...975893&hash=item3f39209241:g:~mkAAOSwFL9TuQVY

This is my exact amp, don't buy this one though, its faulty: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-BLA...554722?hash=item58f8847e62:g:8qgAAOSwXXxZP-Uu

But only need that much length because the amp is on the other side of the room.

Are you using onboard audio chip or have a separate soundcard ?

Not sure how to upload video's on here, otherwise id show you mine in action, I love it, I use it for everything, gaming, every CD I ever owned has been ripped to my computer and just run music from the soundcard to the amp, streaming movies, sound to the amp, image to the TV via a 5 meter HDMI cable, couldn't live without it.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I've owned harman kardon soundsticks and logitech z623 and have been happy with both. Logi's stuff is usually discounted fairly often so you should get a good deal on them.

8. Jamin280672

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 8gb Boost
    Sounds a bit tinny in this video, but its just been recorded on a mobile phone, you'll get the idea though, enable CC subtitles.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti sc+
    Dude by a stand for your guitar

DSparil likes this.
  10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I have TDK Tremor S150 day speakers probably from the same time as your Altec's. The S150 was the latest if the range, the left/right speakers are flat panel (never took off), they're very thin and great! Currently have them on the sides of the TV. They also have auto power mod, they go into standby red light on woofer which I've hidden away, and green when active. If I were to replace them I'd have to search very hard to find something that sounds as good as these and are practical. So why getting rid of your current speakers? If they're not sounding good any more you probably shouldn't sell them, and if they are why try replacing them if you aren't specifically upgrading?

11. Jamin280672

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 8gb Boost
    Nah don't need one, if I stick it up in a corner i'll forget about it, to be honest though, it is my pride and joy, only place I could get one was the USA, had it shipped to the UK plus import duties, cost me nearly £1000, you cant buy them anymore unless you can find a 2nd hand one, Washburn Nuno Bettencourt Tattoo edition, black hardware with tattoo inlays.

12. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I was wondering when someone was going to say something like that lol. They still sound very good, but I've had these things for like 14 years man. It's just time to move on, and I'm seeking something with some more punch in the mid-range and a bit of a fuller sound. These are great and have served well for many years, don't get me wrong. I just want a bit more power from the front. I guess our tastes can change a bit after 14 years right?

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music, although it only has a 3.5mm out. Cool vid man, thanks for uploading. It is hard to tell what cable you're coming out of your soundcard with. I am guessing my best bet would be to use the HDMI audio plug-on from my GPU (ditch the soundcard in essence) and go out of that to a receiver? It would definitely be the more "fun" way to go, but also more work and a lot of space consuming. It would require more cabling, more hardware etc etc. I'm strongly considering it, but I'd have to add the total costs in everything require and measure some things out to see if its worth it, because space may be a bit of an issue. This Onkyo setup isn't PC Speaker small!

13. Jamin280672

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 8gb Boost
    I'm using the 2 cables I posted in the earlier post, links to ebay, you'll see how it goes together then, the 3.5mm extension cable one end is plugged into my soundcard output and the other end just reaches to the other side of the room, then the other cable 3.5mm male plugs into that long 5 meter cable, with the white and red AUX plugged into the back of the amp as I couldn't get ne of these in a 5 meter length, I had to use the headphone extension cable.

Not sure about using an HDMI from your GPU to an amp, that would loose you the ability to stream to your TV as it would be plugged into your amp instead, and also, not sure about the audio quality either, it would be using the tiny audio chip built into the GPU rather than your sound card.

The HDMI cable I mention in the video I use for video only, I redirect the audio through the sound card, I suppose I could allow the HDMI to carry the audio too and then have a cable running from the outputs on my TV to the AMP, but then its using the GPU audio instead of my soundcard.

DSparil likes this.
  14. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^ whoops, snoozed on the links. Yeah, I'd probably be better of using something like that instead of my GPU's HDMI out. This is still a consideration and I'll have to see the actual cost of all of this stuff. Might be more worthwhile $$ and space wise to just go with the Klipsch...

15. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ok so I just locked down the price on the speakers and have a lead on an old Mitsubishi receiver/amp that should do the trick and its only $15 bones! It's on Craigslist and the guy sounds like he is just looking to unload it, and although its untested, he said I could even take it home and commit to pay after I ensure itll do the trick. This Onkyo speaker setup for my PC is sounding like more and more of a possibility! I will keep the thread posted on progress here, but with how this is coming together, I am leaning this way vs another set of PC speakers now. Although with Thrift Store speakers and a CL amp, there is always the chance that something will not be functioning properly. The pricing here sounds almost too good to be legit...

16. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    i can vouch for the klipsch set. ive had two pairs - the build quality used to be higher, but the audio quality is untouched & honestly fantastic for the price. the new sets require active cooling mod for the amp inside the sub, really cheap & simple to do...however it sounds like youre building something nicer. a standalone receiver+amp & some separate speakers should offer you better fidelity :) but youll probably need a software EQ tweak as bookshelf speakers can often sound a bit neutral

DSparil likes this.
  17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
  18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Argon ALTO 5 are powerful active 2.0 speakers made for PCs or other devices.

19. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well fellow guru's it is done! I picked up the speakers (exactly these but for far less $$ https://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-SKW-...645147?hash=item4413e66fdb:g:tUsAAOSwdGFYulh4) and I was lucky enough to find an old Mitsubishi receiver that pushes some serious wattage for only $15! So far so good, and everything tests out great. Hopefully it holds up. This is one sweet setup, and blows the Altec Lansing speakers out of the water in terms of power and sheer force! I need to upgrade my cabling, as I am currently using stone age RCA's and poor speaker cable, but this will do for the time being. It sounds great, but could certainly use a bit of an EQ tweak. The receiver may feature it but without the remote, I only have access to limited features via the front panel.

See above, it is complete! You were dead on though and I could definitely use an equalizer to help dial this in a bit. Do you have any recommendations? Particularly a free option? lol. Surprisingly, the Creative Audio Control Panel for my card doesn't seem to have an EQ tab...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  20. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    grats sparil :D so your drivers dont have a graphic EQ? try a different version? are there modded drivers available for your sound card that hack in that functionality? im not aware of a separate low-level software solution that isnt driver-based. it very well may exist, but i dunno. if all else fails, get EQ plugins for your media playback progs...or a hardware equalizer to plug in to your receiver...those tend to be quite cheap

anyway enjoy your new gear!

DSparil likes this.