Seeking 100% silent CPU cooler for Intel...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Danny_G13, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    So I'm on a Corsair H60 which has been a trusty servant but I've got a project to 100% silence my PC in idle and this thing gives off a noticable hum.

It's an AIO water cooler, and in truth I don't mind going passive as long as the temps don't suffer.

But aside air coolers, what would be the quietest (read: silent) AIO cooler for CPU?

PS I don't want a small noise, I don't want a little hum - I literally mean genuinely inaudible.

Any recommendations?

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Does that even exist? I guess you can run the fans at 500RPM or something which should be pretty much silent, or at least be absorbed by your chassi fans, but the pump will always make some noise albeit small.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Silence doesn't work with AIO, since the rad is too small for it. What you ask for is practically nonexisting since you do stress you want an inaudible device, at least in AIO format.

In cause you want it inaudible under normal room noise (let's say <35dB and <1.5 sone) you might find something... sadly good noise in reviews is hard to find since it requires an anechoic chamber for testing for reviews.

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    I can reduce my expectations to 'reasonable' :)

So, what you're both saying is a passive cooler with a near-silent fan is the best I'll do under my circumstances?

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    does NoFan still make cpu coolers? like that giant icepipe they did.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Probably, yes. Or a bigger AIO (three fans) which you can tone down as far as possible, maybe even with a separate controller. The more cooling space you have on a rad, the slower the fans can run.
    Sadly, I don't know my way around the AIOs on the market since I'm running a custom loop. But you got the idea behind my reasoning 100%

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Is it possible to move your PC away (another room) so the noise does not matter? Use sound absorbing material inside PC case and use vibration resistant case fan mounts?

It's good to have some airflow inside case and fans are quite good in that, so perhaps trying to absorb the noise is more practical solution. Some box around your PC with sound absorbing material (but make some holes for air to flow, cables and power button)?

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nzxt Kraken x62/x72. Set pump profile to silent, lock RPM at 400~500... It's magic.

9. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally I would have look on air cooler, Noctua or Thermalright are my favourite coolers with BeQuiet

AIO always will be louder than any air cooler plus you will not suffer from pump failure, although with current Asetek its not as common like with their previous gen pumps

You can try replacing fans for something which is more pleasant to ears, like are Noctua A12x25 or BeQuiet Silent Wings 3, Phanteks PH-F120MP and many others

But still most of AIO does use high FPI radiator and therefore they need lot faster and louder fans to overcome high FPI radiators

I would have look on Swiftech AIO, they use normal copper or brass radiator plus they use normal pump design(DDC) and can be expanded for GPU cooling as well

If noise is concern then air cooler or custom water loop is only option, have on my loop 41 fans and my loop is inaudible under load when comes to fans, only PSU fan is loudest thing on my loop

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

fantaskarsef and toyo like this.
  10. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    One option is to buy a big AIO (or just go full custom), with the biggest radiator, and then use Noctua fans on it, which are very quiet and efficient at low RPM. Like these:
    https://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-pwm
    The 120mm version comes with a full frame anti-vibration gasket that Noctua advertises as designed for radiators.
    Their fans are quite expensive but also very good.
    Alphacool has the Eisbaer Extreme AIOs with thick radiators and very good performance, but they are also costly.
    Another option is to get longer cables and put the desktop as far from you as possible and buy a case that's acoustically isolated, although the tests don't show much of an improvement, but if you're desperate, these are your best option I think.

11. Can get passive cooling for everything. Passive psu, gpu, and cpu coolers. Get an aluminum case and fill it with heatsinks......it will work fine, just don't get any ideas about oc.

For cpu check out silverstone HE02 Heligon.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2019
  12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    Went with this. Because my H60 literally just died haha. Couldn’t understand why my temps were at 100C!

If this sucks it’s on you ;)

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Fixed it for you.

14. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    Maybe you’re unaware that I messaged him privately a day or so ago with nothing but appreciation for this tip and his website. He’s a true gentleman.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    I got the x72. Performance is excellent, as expected, but I must say it's got a very audible hum, even on silent mode. The fans are great, can't hear them at all in idle/silent, but the pump is definitely quite... if not loud, noticable.

Have I done anything wrong?

16. Please don't take this as my making light or fun; is it possible that it's something else in the machine? Might you have a heat-sink (fans excluded) you can apply to your cpu to keep it from frying while you iso' the pump & power on the machine for 30 seconds to check for that sound?

1. Disconnect the fans connected to the pump and see if the noise goes away
    2. If the issue persists reconnect your fans to the pump and set your pump to 100%
    3. In some cases; if air bubbles are in the pump, this can cause noise.
    4. Leave the pump at 100% for a good hour with the computer on - don't let it sleep.
    5. Set the pump profile back to silent. Check if the noise is gone or not. If the issue persists contact NZXT customer support for a replacement unit be aware nothing may ever be 100% completely silent - you will always hear an audible reaction if leaning in with your ear next to your pump cannot have unrealistic expectations.
    Things to consider - many of the following are near and around the cpu and can produce noise near or perceived as humming.
    • Storage medium. - operating noise
    • Whinning emanating from the socket area: vrms, coils, caps etc..
    • PSUs can generate humming, whinning and other frequency noises depending on different factors like build quality or state of integrity.
    • Bad grounding can generate noise too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2019
    Danny_G13 likes this.
  17. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    Far from it, any help appreciated :)

Actually when I first installed it I heard a huge hum, and learned it was one of the other system fans. So that wasn't impossible. But no, in this case I used the software to increase the pump performance and the hum noticeably changed.

I don't have a spare tbh.

Storage medium is SSD all round.
    Whining yes, coil whine I'm well aware of.

Appreciate all your advice - I've put the pump to performance and 100% - although it only went up from 2000rpm to 2700?

I'll see if the hum improves. The air pocket may be an issue too, it is brand new after all.

There's also the notion of what happened with the EVGA 2080Ti AIO - it by default has a brutal 'beer fridge' hum, and you have to use a magnet to shut it up.

The hum here is not absolutely huge, because my case is basically about 95% silent (fractal R6, silent fans everywhere, no HDD), but I can hear it. It's... interesting, as I type this, with the pump at 100% the noise may SLIGHTLY be going down.

Pretty sure it is.

This advice may be working really well KS.

I'll keep it up and see how it all goes.

Thanks again. I'll update the thread with a progress report over the coming day.

I really do like this cooler, Hilbert may well have done me a great service with the recommendation, but just need to eliminate the hum!

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  18. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    Can confirm the noise has gone down massively since increasing the pump to performance. Not absolute silence but VERY close.

So thank you KS and thank you Hilbert.

19. You got it :) just glad it worked out!

Danny_G13 likes this.
  20. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    just stick an aerocool dead silence 12 on there and you'll be allright , the only thing you can hear with these fans ... is the air flow , nothing else
    even at 100% , + the air comes out in a straight line , instead of being spread everywhere , gives a better temp then any i've tried
    most silent fan , or you should go for a fanless block cooler , but gaming is out of the question when you do ...
    it's your choice , a little airflow for sound , or nothing at all and not playing games , as for some low rent ones

Danny_G13 likes this.