Security Checkup Thread

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by X7007, Apr 30, 2018.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Hi,

Because more than 10,000,000 people download addons or programs, it doesn't mean it's good sometimes.

Let's try to start an security checkup with mostly newest updates to stay with programs and viruses more specifically on what we usually use . Like Browsers Extensions , Programs or anything else. Might need to open a secondary thread in the Operating Systems to have more specifically programs there. Pin point on dangerous thing not to install or anything you can think of. because many people don't notice, don't know or just forgot to check about many things.

We can start with dangerous Addons , might watch out what you use

I had AdRemover for Google Chrome installed for testing and it eventually was malware , took some time for chrome to detect it, even though I just tested it couple minutes , it is still dangerous.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-tell-legit-chrome-extensions-from-malware-1825423984

Don't use any Antivirus toolbars or addons

https://www.howtogeek.com/239950/do...ensions-they-can-actually-make-you-less-safe/

The extensions I am using correctly are

Chrono Download Manager - Which has Maximum connection settings/downloads faster
    JavaScript Popup Blocker - Which is disabled for the moment
    Nano Ad Blocker + Nano Defender - to block All ads , some popups and ads that complains about ad blocker running.
    Pop up Blocker for Chrome - Poper Blocker - for blocking popups
    Pop up Blocker (Strict) - disabled for the moment incase Poper Blocker doesn't' work correctly
    Session Buddy - Backup Tabs and also managing , also can transfer to any other computer.
    Super Auto Refresh - for refreshing websites
    Tampermonkey - have many scripts here I will update later
    The Great Suspender - for suspending tabs which are not used for more than 1hr ( You can change the time )

Do you have any other suggestions ?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    running Arch with minimal packets installed
    have Sophos AV for Linux awake and ready for the rumble
    DD-WRT router with Open DNS and Proton VPN set up, and a custom script for it.
    a raspberry pi running Pi-Hole as a secondary DNS adware filtering for all my internal network.
    all browsers have WebRTC prevention leaks and I avoid dl things from the internet unless I really really need to. And I re-check what and from where I dl stuff.

for my Windows partition, I forgot, I have months since I booted that up.

3. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    nice, we need more information from other people.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I use this in addition to defender http://www.novirusthanks.org/products/osarmor/ It's a behaviour based blocker so it doesn't rely on definitions.

Other than that, the usual - hosts file, ublock origin, windows firewall, smartscreen, emsisoft emergency kit for on-demand scans, and paying attention to the uac prompts.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    ubiquity edgerouter with vlan and iptables.
    linux server with web services chrooted and on a seperate vlan with tor proxy running on it if i need a bit of privacy.
    wifi with unique vlans for clients.

occasionally use virtual machines if im suspect about a site. but generally a couple of popup blockers, group policies and avast on the gaming rig. with a rotating mac address,

not highly into being as paranoid as i once was when i was a sys admin.