Secure Boot ON or OFF?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Sptz, Apr 18, 2023.

1. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Ha thanks for that KissSh0t, I have updated the bios ages ago. I just checked and there was indeed a new one from feb this year. I have now updated to it and set the boot save option to uefi. Secure boot is now on in sysinfo :)

386SX and KissSh0t like this.
  2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Cool it worked out for you. Tbh. I didn't know you could enable Secure Boot afterwards. Another thing learned. :)

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    enable usb for boot devices only in the fastboot settings, disable all instances of xhci/ehci pass off, have initialize legacy devices set to auto.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    No such option in fastboot settings, just Fast and Ultra Fast

They are off

Legacy USB support is set to UEFI only, is that what should be set to auto?

either way I will looking into at later date I dont feel like playing with any of that, if i windup losing KB/Mouse in Bios again I gona have to reset cmos

Last edited: May 8, 2023

5. rocky01

rocky01 Member

GPU:
    rtx-2070
    In a recent primetime broadcast, it was reported that many popular store-bought rigs/machines coming from popular supply chains are at risk for spyware and worse. Also sites like bleeping confirm it can be at the bios level. Just to be safe it may be worth it not only use secure boot but to also consider country of origin as a purchase preference. YMMV.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Will get back to you after i study the bios manual, your profile is out of date right?

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    still the same pc nothing changed there, you dont really have to study the manual, but i wont stop you. this just one those thing i just found what worked and left it. and seeing it one those thing i if i changed the wrong thing it resulted in lose kb/mouse in bios, only way i could fix it is if reset cmos cause i dont have ps/2 mouse/kb lying around or the converter so i left it be.

Though I probably should make save bios settings

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you're not wrong, looking on google indicates this is a common issue with that asrock motherboard, and people have connected it to particular video cards being used on certain pcie ports, which is weird as heck.

I'm wondering if tossing you an updated vbios with the latest GOP might help.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    for the 1070ti? how would that help mouse/kb not working if in the bios if those setting are messed with? This just me thinking out loud though as i have no interested in update vbios on my gpu, and if we talking IGPU I have never used that., and i do know there newer Vbios for card "86.04.8D.00.70" vs the "86.04.85.00.70" i have on Evga 1070ti SC black

At lest the asrock MB does not have massive issue with RAM like my evga 58 SLI LE did. there reason why i never had more then 6gb 2gb x 3 any time i change ram or tried to i lost sticks of ram, after year of trying fiqure it out and dozen sets of ram, I gave up just left the one set that worked right

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    a poor gop+uefi combination could be seeing the uefi interface freeze rather than input just not working, with csm on you're getting the legacy resolutions supported.

you don't need to "update" the bios, you can dump the current one and apply a gop update do it and flash that back.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well the UEFI bios likes to freeze (clock stop tick and nothing works), at random some time it will freeze and unfreeze after bout 10 seconds, that one thing at annoned me about the board, but i do know when i lose KB/Mouse by messing with the setting, the uefi bios is work cause clock dont stop tick.

if you dont mind throw me link on how to do all this I will look in to it. if it not to complicated harmless i might try it

I assume the 4x4 box i see with bios info when not using fullscreen is that legacy res support for bootup?

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will have look at it, no harm side effect can come from this other then it probably fix KB/Mouse issue with CSM off? and those random uefi bios freeze i get ?

any who i tried I got the GOP update and extraction tool and saved my vbios 263kb with gpuz dragged on top tool and said please check file size and try again.

I tried
    GOP_Updater_v1.9.6.5.k_mod_v0.5.2.zip
    draged on that and as said it have .03 gop and there .13 and ask if i want to update it and made new file, guess it would have to just update gpu now?

which i guess i neeed nvidia nv flash.

I cant fubar my gpu by doing this can I ? dont want to be forced to buy a new card if this goes wrong

I will check see if Evga has newer Vbios with newer GoP in or it own tool to update it before going these root.

Or i might just leave it be as dont really bother me

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no difference in risk to flashing the mainboard bios.

they don't.