1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seasonic Presents the PRIME Ultra Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As graphics cards and motherboards become more efficient, their ever-decreasing power consumption has called for a new power rating variant. The introduction of the PRIME Ultra 550 W Platinum- and Gol...

Seasonic Presents the PRIME Ultra Power Supplies

2. george1976

george1976 Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9290
    Not enough power if you own a Vega ;)

3. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Its like my 14 year old self was allowed to name the power supply. Im sure its a good power supply almost all Seasonic's are.

PRIME Ultra 550 W Platinum

4. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS Radeon RX580
    Oh man I have been running 275W TDP R9 390 with factory overclock on a way worse cheap as chips 600W PSU, this tho The PRIME Ultra - it will handle Vega 64 for eternity

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    It's going to be enough for Vega for sure. My bet out of these 550W total of 535-540W are for +12V rail(s), probably it's a single rail PSU, dual-rail at max (knowing how Seasonic is doing their PSUs in 450-700W range), so 44-46 Amps or so total on +12V so it's going to be enough for even OCed Vega 64. Also I'm also 100% sure this Seasonig PSU under the hood has at least 650W rated electronics, probably even higher than that.

Only thing I don't wanna know about it is the price :(

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    12 year warrenty?? i think i found the psu i going after when this one goes well providing the entry for it isnt costing a leg

7. Raplapla

Raplapla Member

GPU:
    -
    The PSU tester is a great idea!
    Also 550W is a pretty good choice for a gaming PC.
    But yes, the price… hmm… Probably not cheap.
    Also, the part about PC’s power consumption decreasing is unfortunately false…

8. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Seasonic another brand i always use! Todays front page has 2 of my favourites already! :cool:

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    It's a nice PSU but i'd prefer it in 650w flavor. 550 is a bit low considering you are prolly gonna use 300-350 and i like to use half the supply for max efficiency.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Efficiency will be within 1-2% comparing 50% and 80% so it really doesnt matter.

Maxing it out is a different story

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    Seasonic PSU of this caliber probably has the same efficiency doesn't matter if it's loaded 10%, 50% or 80%. It's their top of the line 550W PSU after all. Even "mid-range" class PSU from Seasonic, lets say some 620W, can easily match or even outperform most top of the line 650-700W PSUs from other well known PSU manufacturers. Call me a fanboy but it is what it is...

Wish I had the money to put adequate Seasonic PSU into every builds I own but sad thing is that here where I live Seasonic PSUs costs arm and leg, even mid-range ones. So far I have them two, both since 2011.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  12. ruiner13

ruiner13 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    "The new 180 degree SATA connectors will ensure more flexibility and easier installation."

So, like, straight cables? I don't understand...

13. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    12 years! This ladies and gentlemen called confidence to your product!

Well i actually like this part in my case hard drives power cables and sata while they fit when i place the side panel on they get squeezed a bit so far had no problems but it bugs me , i used for the sata a cable that has an angle but still i would love to do thar on the power cable too!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017