Seagate to release three new 10TB HDDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Seagate has introduced three hard drives with a maximum capacity of 10TB for consumers. The HDD's are part of the Guardian series, known as Barracuda Pro Iron Wolf and SkyHawk. The disks platters spi...

Seagate to release three new 10TB HDDs

2. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    I'm not surprised at the declining sales if you look at the HDD prices. I miss the days of paying X USD for double the storage capacity every two years or so. Nowadays the sizes increase but the prices don't drop much USD/GB.

3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    and i dont care if they release a 100TB/10K rpm drive for 100$. i wont touch seagate drives anymore.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Heh ... beat me to it :D

5. MasterBash

MasterBash Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    good good, leave them to me then I would run them in RAID. It would be so cheap!

6. Sasco

Sasco Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    Ditto, my experience with Seagate has been horrid compared to any other HDD manufacturer

7. go4brendon

go4brendon Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    Seagate over Western Digital every day.

8. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 TI SLI
    haha, you must be a lucky one! Iv had none stop issues with Seagate drives, yet WD drives (had I use tons for my servers) no issues still have one going strong after 8 years.

Nice to see direction of storage, 10TB is pretty damn nice.

9. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    In the past I would always get larger and larger hard drives but I've been getting by with a 256GB SSD. 500GB would be perfect for me.

Fast internet means I hoard less files and ****. Pretty nice for folks looking to use them for servers I guess.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I will never touch another Seagate. I've had 2 fail in the last 5 years. While some of you may say that isn't that bad, I've never ever had a WD fail in close to 20 years. I still have a working 10GB drive I bought in 2001.

I only have one HDD left in my PC anyway. Everything else is SSD. Grabbed a 960GB Sandisk Ultra on the Amazon Prime day for like $160 so that can handle a good chunk of my games.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah WD is what I'm mainly using and they've been performing pretty well here with the oldest one still problem free although a bit slow. :D

For this well with mechanical drives in general if prices go down a bit then a 8 - 10 TB HDD for storage should last me for quite a while as long as there's no mechanical errors and then a SSD for the OS at perhaps 512 - 1 TB depending on price, something I'll have to consider for whenever I build my next PC system.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    As it happens, my Seagate drive broke this week. It makes beeping sounds at boot and doesn't spin up.

And before that, for several months, it was throwing bad sectors left and right.

Seagate makes junk. Thank you very much, but I'll pass.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well this topic turned into bash seagate thread like most that mention seagate..

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Problem officer?

15. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    out of around ~25 hdds the only two companies that failed me were IBM with a deskstar drive (a.k.a "deathstar") and seagate. the latter failed me 3 times, IBM 1 time.

that being said, hdd tech has evolved and failing drives are a very rare case and not really that vendor-specific anymore as it was 15 years ago.

that being said again... WD has the lowest record of failing drives in the consumer sector.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    At least it wasn't 10TB data loss! I wonder how many platters it has?

17. Jericho2013

Jericho2013 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 2080 Ti in SLI
    That's why most computer manufacturers use Seagate because they are the cheapest cr@ppiest drives you can get. That way they get a bigger profit margin. I've never had a WD drive fail on me.

18. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    In my case 3 3TB Seagate failed within 6 months,I think its just more than bad luck,I bought them as I've used previously two their SSHD and I've been pretty much happy with them although one is already starting failing

If I would buy their 10TB HDD,I would need to think twice about this,but 10TB HDD,I would be very happy with 3,currently have 7x3TB HDD

In my case not only Saeagte failed,previously I've been happy with Toshiba,but as right two of 3TB Toshiba too failed,have few WD and those are still going strong and they're 5 years old and Toshiba 3TB are around 1 year old

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I used to have a lot of Seagate drives but not anymore because they all died :<

10TB is a lot of data to lose.

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Are Seagate still dodgy or have their drives improved in quality since the firmware issue?