Seagate to release 2TB SSHD and 5TB HDD in 2.5" form-factor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2016.

1. readonly

readonly Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    Very annoying they aren't using more flash or making multiple models with more flash. I would gladly pay $50 more than what my 1TB SSHD cost a couple years ago for one with 64GB of flash. The new PS4 Pro is more or less confirmed to have Sata3 so it makes sense to put an SSD in it (compared to the old Sata2 PS4) My recommendation to anyone wanting to replace their PS4/PS4 Pro HDD is to opt for a 7200rpm drive that will fit the chassis rather than a 5400rpm 8GB SSHD as overall the performance will be better. Of course an SSD is the most preferred option.

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    In 17 years, I have never had a Hard drive fail. I have never seen anyone else I know have a failure either. My 2005 HP laptop is still going strong with it's original 80GB 5400 RPM Hitachi in it. This main rig has 2 Barracudas in it. A 1TB main and a 500GB secondary. There have been no problems but it's also only been 2½ years.

3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, I've never had a hard drive fail either. I've kept all my laptops for a minimum of 4 years (4 laptops in all), and no HDD failures - hard drive manufacturers I can remember: all Seagate actually I think (at least in the last two anyway). Never happened to my parents PC's & laptops either.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    out of the 20 years I used Seagate drives I have had 1 drive out right fail and that Momentus that came with a ps3,15+ seagates drives I do have still work.

Now I have had handfull of maxtor, wd, and quantum hdd and they all failed from error and bad sectors long ago. in case of the quantum hdd i droped that thing 6+ feet about 3 times and it didnt fail to like 2 years later. I highly doubt current hdd will be that great even after 1 drop.

I am very interested in hybird SSD/HDD drives cause SSD are still to expensive, but 8gb cache is definitely these days I more interested in warranty, cause tech seem more fragile and liable to break or fail these days and no manufacture is immune to this.

of the best hardrives I had from manufatures it would be Seagate, then HGST if i was to buy WD it would Black and that would before the warranty more then anything else.

The more tech and features they cram in to tech the more they seem to break.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i guess a lot is based on experience ...back in the day my brother wanted a new hard drive he had just a 200 gb wd and wanted more space so he brought a wd blue 750 gb .... we install the hard drive .. and all we hear is ... Click Click GRRRRRRRRRRR...and that was it it was dead we RMA it and ...the next drive does the same thing ...we RMA it again ...and 3rd time again CLICK CLICK GRRRR....DEAD .... then we got a refund and brought a seagate ...7011.12 i think .... anyway the seagate still runs on the very same pc i guess it was a bad batch out or something