Seagate SATA HDD Failures

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Muhammad, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Muhammad

Muhammad Banned

GPU:
    4870 * 2 HIS 512MB EDITIO
    hi

i am facing this hdd problem again and again and i need help.

my old 120gb hdd sata seagate was not working so i changed it and got another 120gb sata hdd.

i installed win-xp and installed the software for my pc etc. the problem comes after a while when i clicked on a program and i heard clicking sounds from the hard disk.

windows locks up and an error message blue screen says , something like bad-kernel something .

so i changed my hdd and got another 200gb sata seagate hdd and also a 80gb sata hdd.

i installed win-xp on the 80gb sata and installed games on the 200gb hdd.

it woked fine for 2 days then again today i heard the same noise from these new hdd.

whats happening here , i dont understand , my old 80gb eide hdd from seagate which i have since the past 1 year is fine.

why are these new hdd causing so many problems.

i unhooked the power cables to all of my drives in the pc and then the noise went away.

but that cant be , what has the power supply have to do anything with the hdd clicking sound.

this is the 3rd hdd in 1 week which i will be changing , is this a SEAGATE only issue .

i was thinking of geting 1 sata 250gb hdd from SAMSUNG.

please help

Intel 3.0e H.T
    Intel 875pbzlk
    2gb ddr-400 ram
    MSI fx-6800u
    80gb Eide
    80gb-Sata
    200gb-Sata
    Audigy 2 Zs
    1.44 Floppy
    Sony Dvd Burner
    Sony Dvd Rom
    Sony Cd-Writer
    Asus tv Tuner
    56k Fax Modem
    a-4 tech wireless mouse
    multimedia keyboard
    Creative 7.1 thx Speakers

2. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    sounds like a faulty sata controller on your mobo, try RMA'ing it and see if that helps.

3. Muhammad

Muhammad Banned

GPU:
    sata hdd problems

well is there a way to disable the onboard controller and add a add on card.

my board is an intel 875pbzlk.

but if it was a sata controller issue then it should happen all the time , right.

help

4. 3dfxvoodoo7maka

3dfxvoodoo7maka Active Member

GPU:
    ATI x800Pro(472/450)
    Hey, I have the exact same problem.
    I have bought a new seagate baracudda 250gb and later I noticed that my pc locked up everytime I hear that clicking sound.
    I figured that the only problem on it was the power connector, it doesn't hold the power supply molex connector very hard, infact even the slightest vibration makes the hdd to loose power, therefor the clickin sound comes from the hardrive heads. I suppose some electromagnets hold some parts and when the power is gone, they switch off.
    But i put another molex connector that was holding a little bit stronger, and i haven't had any problems at all.

5. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    hmmm, i dunno man. My system wouldnt even boot or start the windows setup, so maybe its a bad connection on your harddrive/mobo. I think adding a sata controller would just disable the onboard one, consult your manual

6. Muhammad

Muhammad Banned

GPU:
    well i gave the hard disks back and got my self a new WESTERN DIGITAL 200gb SATA hdd with 16mb cache.

It supports 2 power sources , either the standard sata power cable or the 4 pin molex connector.

i have connected the hard disk to the molex connector and everything seems to be fine .

i think seagate is makeing really cheap quality hdd specially the ones made in china etc even thiland.

coz my neighbour is also facing the same problem.

do y guys know of somewhere where i can order pc hardware which can be shiped to pakistan.

7. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    your kidding right? Seagate is much better than wd in quality and service. Maybe where you buy your stuff can't support the good items from seagate so they have to buy the 2nd rate. Wouldn't be that uncommon since your in pakistan... And no i don't know anyone that would ship computer componets to pakistan,