Seagate HD Failure **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jamesy305, Jan 18, 2009.

1. doodle333

doodle333 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7870 2Gb
    the new firmware works on my ST3500320AS and i get sustainned speed of 112 mb and allso when copying large size files i no longer get slow downs half way through.

2. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    i am still considering to RMA it. But just in case they wont accept my REASON behind this, i guess i still have to take option B which is solve the brick problem using firmware update.

Im just hoping that those guys at the pc shop is a bit out dated.

Anyway, does the new firmware work well? does it really solve the problem? i mean for those whose HDD was bricked and now fixed using the new firmware.

3. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    I am assuming you are in Japan, so I can tell you from my experience that when you RMA it, it goes through one of the distributors and not directly to Seagate. I thought it was a shady deal because they only accept online forms but no direct contact number to call them. They were rather quick to send back the replacement drive though.

4. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    So are you suggesting me to contact seagate directly?

5. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    You know what? I might be wrong. I bought the OEM type with the blue box through Buffalo. When I OEMed it, I had to send it back to them. Maybe your drive is not the same as mine.

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I'm a successful fixed version SD1A user on ST3500320AS serial 9QM8BBG2.

Had to change the drive over to sata to flash instead of sata2 and disconnect my 1 ide drive.

Win7 still working and intact. Tested with Mirror's Edge, no crashes so far. But, I didn't have any problems anyway as I've only just got the drive.

Hopefully won't have any problems.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I got my PC back today and it seems that mine is one of the models affected as the firmware version is SD15.

However, the drive is working fine, the read test in HD Tune v3.5 shows a consistent speed of 102 MB/sec and there are no errors reported by SMART other than two things highlighted in yellow.

I've therefore decided that I'm going to email Seagate directly with my model and serial number and let them tell me whether I need to do the firmware update or not. I really don't want to do it unless I'm 100% sure it is going to work. I have a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well I decided I couldn't wait for a response from Seagate so I did the update even though I sent an email to them earlier tonight asking if I needed to upgrade my HDD's firmware.

I made the CD using the freeware ISO Recorder v3 and disconnected my primary Hitachi HDD before going into the BIOS and setting it to boot from the CD first. One restart later the CD loads up, some stuff loads and I'm eventually left with a disclaimer and instructions to read.

My HDD is the ST3500320AS so I select A from the menu and it does the firmware update... nail biting stuff... EEEEK... it's asking me to cycle the power on the HDD... what the hell does that mean? I decide it can only mean disconnecting the power from the HDD and then reconnecting it so I do that then press a key to continue (not CTRL-ALT-DEL it warns me). My PC turns off.

I'm a nervous wreck turning my PC on... is my HDD going to be recognised... I go into the BIOS and change the boot order to my Hitachi HDD first and then restart and boot into Windows. Some drivers are installed for the ST3500320AS and I'm asked to restart. Encouraging. Upon going back into Windows, I can see my Seagate HDD as drive E as it was before and running Seagate's DriveDetect tool shows that it now has the S1A firmware instead of the SD15 one.

IT'S A SUCCESS!!!

Apart from the confusion over the power cycling everything was clearly explained. Why couldn't Seagate have just told you to disconnect and then reconnect the power cable?

So for anyone worried about whether the firmware works or not, I can confirm that the SD1A one for the ST3500320AS (7200.11 500 GB) drives definitely works but make sure you follow the instructions PRECISELY and disconnect any other HDDs that are not affected by this firmware bug.

9. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    My ST3500320AS Works again too ! :)

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    At last Seagate get something RIGHT. Miracles DO happen then!

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Ironically I sent an email to Seagate asking whether this firmware issue affected me and whether I should upgrade on Thursday night expecting it to be weeks before I got any kind of reply. Well, I received the reply on Friday, much to my surprise, but it was a cut-and-paste job that just said the firmware was available for my HDD and that it was there if I wanted it. It didn't answer my question at all. Great job there, Seagate!

Not that it matters now as I've successfully updated my HDD's firmware to SD1A.

12. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    What changes and improvements can you expect from this firmware upgrade? I was wondering if I can implement the upgrade when the hdd crashes instead or is that too late?

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well from what I understand when the drive fails it is not recognised by Windows but is detected by the BIOS so I would think it is possible to apply the firmware after the failure occurs since the entire update is done outside of Windows during bootup, i.e. the DOS screen.

After checking my HDD's serial number on the Seagate website it seems that my drive wasn't at risk after all so I needn't have updated.

14. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    hi, a quick question...

Does this new firmware really work????

i have the effected HDD, and i've already updated to the latest firmware...
    But i am still worried that the firmware is not 100% fixed.

So, what do you guys think?