Seagate HD Failure **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jamesy305, Jan 18, 2009.

1. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    i got a brand new seagate 500 gb 7200.11 hdd as replacement for my dead seagate 500 gb hdd
    after only 2 days of usage Hard drive Inspector ( http://www.altrixsoft.com/en/hddinsp/ )is reporting that my seek error rate is ~ 43% !!!!
    detect drve software from seagate says this :
    Model: ST3500320AS, Serial: 9QM8F3YQ, Firmware: SD15 and the online checking tool reports that my hdd is affected by the firmware bug
    is the seek error rate related to the firmware issue ?
    how is it possible that my drive deteriorate so fast ???

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. jamesy305

jamesy305 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OCX
    I agree, this just buys them more time!! to be honest I would not like to say for definite but i think you can apply the update without wiping the data from the drive. also.... i'm only saying what the tech support people from Seagate have told me and this could just be a load of bulls**t!

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah it could be and probably also is... I think I'll RMA my drive as soon as it gets here (ordered it last night before I knew all this).

4. jamesy305

jamesy305 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OCX
    Hi,

Just another update to the firmware problems affecting a wide range of Seagate drives. They have started to distribute a new firmware online for the affected drives. They can be found here:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

Just scroll to the bottom and click on the model of your drive. If its not listed you should be ok.

Good luck!!

5. doodle333

doodle333 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7870 2Gb
    I have a 500gb 7200.11 with firmware SD15 and every time i try to update firmware it comes up with something like: error can not update firmware ,and allso saying it cant find listed hdd effected. and allso this is my 3rd hdd of same model and getting really annoyed.

6. jamesy305

jamesy305 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OCX
    yeah, after posting the update from Seagate i burned the .iso to a CD and tried to update my ST31000340AS with firmware SD15 and got that error to! I'm starting to wonder if Seagate is ran by a bunch of monkeys! (just like your picture!!)

tbh, I've cleared the data from the drive and for me the best outcome would be for it to brick itself so i can RMA it back to scan!

7. ONEHelsing

ONEHelsing New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire / HD4850 / 512mb
    I have ST3500320AS and it worked for about 19 days. Guys do you think its not damaged or it doesnt matter that it worked for a while?
    Sorry for bad english :p

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The firmware for my model of HDD in that link above, SD1A, appears to have been removed for verification as of yesterday (19th). In other words there were reported problems with it so it has been withdrawn. Gee... nice to know someone tests these things...

9. jamesy305

jamesy305 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OCX
    yeah, I've heard that it seems to cause more problems on the 500gb disks!!!

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    After reading the thread on the Seagate forum of dozens of people who've updated their 500 GB HDDs to the SD1A firmware which have ended up bricked, I'm glad I wasn't able to do the same for my own HDD as in all likelihood I'd have also ended up with a bricked HDD when it is working fine... at the moment anyway.

I cannot believe that Seagate could make such a major balls up... not only did they release a duff firmware that acts as a time-bomb for anyone using those affected HDDs but they also went and released a firmware that is guaranteed to brick the HDD anyway!!! Sweet Jesus... don't these people EVER test these firmwares?

And why on earth does this firmware process not allow you to make a backup of the original firmware prior to flashing the new one like every other firmware process does? At least if it did that then you'd be able to recover your HDD after the duff firmware bricks it!!! D'oh!

11. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i thought the same thing when i found out the update was killing drives. someone is going to get the axe over this...

you should send them your resume! a dose of good old common sense would take you right up the ladder from what weve seen lol.

has there been any news on the new update today?

12. syntax_error

syntax_error Make it So

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 3850
    I downloaded that firmware yesterday evening and was going to get around to loading it onto my 7200.11 500gb drive. I've had the drive in use since April as a secondary drive in my system. I think I'll just leave it be for the time being.

+1 for procrastination.

Seriously though... does this whole Seagate fiasco come as a great shock to anyone? It's happened before with the IBM Deskstars a few years back. When I saw all of these 1TB drives for so little money I said to myself 'That's alot of eggs in one basket, I hope everyone is backing up'

More and more people are becoming reliant on the Data and Applications in our daily lives. I'm nervous about my computer all the time and am basically waiting for something to fail at any given time...be it hardware, software or virus related.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I think the thing that people were mainly pissed off about was the lack of response from Seagate.
    They stayed silent pretty much the whole time.

I just checked out their forums. NO FW as yet.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  14. syntax_error

syntax_error Make it So

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 3850
    I haven't followed the whole thing. I just tuned into it a couple of days ago. My guess is that they've been gathering data on what was going wrong and how to best fix it. It would take time for the failed drives to make it back to their RMA department to research the issue. I see the fudged firmwares they released recently as a knee jerk reaction, trying to appease the masses calling for immediate action.

I'd not want to get into the data storage business these days. So many people have their very lives tied up in their hard drives.

15. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The stupid and really ironic thing is that people are buying these Seagate drives for backing up onto because of their reputation for reliability! I bought a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda for exactly that reason but fortunately I've only copied stuff from my external Iomega backup drive onto it so if it fails I've at least still got the original backup to go back to.

I'm just so, so glad that I don't have a Seagate HDD as my primary drive with Windows on it. At least if the secondary drive fails, I'll still be able to use my PC and Windows and will lose very little as I only fitted it two weeks ago.

I may even send the drive back to Ebuyer and order a Samsung or Hitachi as a replacement... I mean after this is anyone going to trust a Seagate HDD again? From what I've been able to ascertain from reading the forums, Seagate have been deleting user posts and have been very, very slow in responding to this issue. At the time of writing this there is still no definitive resolution for this issue and that's some three or four months after people first reported the issue...

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Seagate have reacted appallingly IMO. Not only have they been ignoring their customers but they've made a complete dog's ear since with botched up replacement firmwares and a drive utility that is supposed to identify the potentially defective drives that has been proven not to work properly! I believe that has now been withdrawn too along with the dodgy firmware.

Anyone who has valuable data that they don't backup to other storage media is just asking for trouble because nothing, I repeat NOTHING, is guaranteed to last forever in this "disposable" age. Yeah, losing a 1 TB HDD and having to reinstall everything you were unable to backup is annoying but it's a lot less annoying if you know you've got a backup of your data saved elsewhere.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I'd agree - to a certain point.

You can't expect the average home user (ok maybe not home user but an enthusiast) who has over 500GB of data to be expected to back up everything. It's just impractical and an unrealistic expectation.

Yes this is a disposable age BUT hard drives last for years and years, I mean Seagate offered a 5 year warranty (think it's three years now) on their Barracuda Hard drives..hell I still have 20GB Seagate that is 8 years old and works perfectly. Granted I have owned a Seagate 160GB SATA and a Seagate 250GB SATA drive that failed within a year.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  19. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    Has anyone try this firmware update

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207951

(the link above it's not about the firmware update released on 19th (neither the SD1A or SD15)

Seagate's just released it moment ago.

I am one of the victim here, and about to try the new firmware. But i have to backup massive data inside it first....

20. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    I am going to let this one settle out before quickly jumping on it.

I wonder if the firmware upgrade would have worked on a faulty drive that was recognized in the POST, but not boot into Windows. I lost entire data last month because one of the striped Seagate RAID drives (500GB firmware:SD15) went shot and if they had this firmware upgrade out by then, I probably did not have to end up formatting and returning it for RMA.