1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SEAGATE FIRMWARE UPDATE for ST3500320AS, ST3640330AS, ST3750330AS, ST31000340AS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Pill Monster, Jan 19, 2009.

1. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    I updated my storage Seagate 1TB drive firmware but it didnt fail the DST test though, now im running it as the main HDD bcse if it fails i wouldnt cry on it + all my data is safe on a WD FALS edition.

Although, that test u did could be related to the SMART status, however the Seagate SMART has been giving wrong data and statistics apparently (including on mine).. perhaps the wrong SMART results reported by the HDD made the DST fail? If u ran a Disk Scan with no errors at the end, and if the HDD is running at bootup with no problem, yeah why not update that firmware.

Else, if ur hearing clicketing noise and u have bad sectors too just RMA and dont wait. Usually, a DST Failure error indicates a failing drive.

2. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    I don't believe the firmware will fix a failing drive, it was to fix other problems with the drive. My 1.5TB started getting a click click spin.... click click spin.... and then I did a DST, it failed. There is no coming back from that.

3. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    im so freakin pissed guys - im gona hold on on swearing here by respect to all of you.
    but my 1TB ST31000340AS Seagate finally FAILED on me today .. :bang: :bang: :bang:
    the freakin firmware update was a joke - it cannot fix a hardware problem and thank god i migrated all my movies/ mp3s to the 1tb WD FALS 3 months ago.

Symptoms started to show when i migrated from my P4 to my new Core i7 system. I started getting:

> BSOD with stop errors and corruption of winload.exe and numerous windows files -
    > reinstalling WIndows would give me BSOD after installation
    > and finally to crown everything up games would sometimes crash dump and the PC restart and HOST / MSN Messenger and other program would stop responding and crash.
    > Rivatuner would stop working
    > Machine would lockup sometimes and i thought it was due to my Overclock or temperature which was not the case.

Events Logs in CP showed at least 50 events: The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block. :realmad:

Disk Check Repaired at least 20 Bad Clusters

In my 10 years of owning computers from P3, P4 and Core i7 and at least 10 HDDs this is the first HDD ever to fail on me. I will never buy Seagate again :puke2: . On top of taht they are sending me a Refurbished/ Repaired 1 TB HDD that had the same issue ...

just horrible.. :realmad:

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    In my entire life of having computers, I've had 1 Seagate fail on me.

In my entire life of having computers, I've had at least 20 Western Digital's fail on me.

Maxtors were through the roof.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How random.....I just gave a guy on my game server forum this link because his 500GB Seagate just bricked itself.......

Spooky. Must be the way the moon is aligned with Pluto:3eyes:

I've had 2 Seagates die on me. One was only 4mths old.

Electrical though prob from my piece of **** Hyena PSU I had at the time.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  6. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    yeah but my 1TB Seagate HDD was doomed to fail like all the others Seagate HDDs - it lasted longer (1 year) just bcse i usually take good care of it :D
    Seagate should have recalled all the models - instead they released a firmware claiming it would "solve" the problem.. which is BS.

The crazy part is taht they are steal failing in huge numbers ( 3 HDDS failures / 5 per users) :
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822148278

7. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Well the saying " If it ain't broke don't fix it " came back and bite me hard on my @ss. My 1TB just died last week close to 1TB of Data photos, movies and music down the drain. Didn't get angry i just had to laugh should of flashed it when i had the chance. Oh well RMA and now i have a " certified repaired HDD ". Should i or shouldn't i start using this RMA drive for backup. Now that is the question ...

8. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Hum I just bought a 500g SEAGATE HDD sata. Should I be worried or it's already updated from now?

it's a ST3500418AS Barracuda 7000.12 it says.

9. invisible69

invisible69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4870x2 2GB
    afaik the 7200.11 ones were affected. I flashed mine a couple of weeks after I bought it, just in case...

10. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    no these XXXX.12 are not affected and nothin has been reported yet.

My XXXX.11 failed on me even after flashing the firmware 2 months ago - i think they all suffer from mechanical problems with there head... cant believe they havent recalled them.

11. opiuz

opiuz New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia / 9600 / 1g
    i have tried this and found the same problem, but i also have a solution for you as well, my Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS has also been affected by the bad firmware problem, i tell you what a shock this was as this is my archive drive for all my irreplaceable info, after 2 days of research and research, and more searching and reading and research........................my gosh, i was starting to stress, but any way this is what i did to fix the problem of the SD1A firmware not seeing the drive correctly.

i used the update software for the AD14 firmware update (SF445.exe), and modified the flash.bat file in the AD14 firmware update package into thinking that it should us the SD1A3D4D.lod firmware file.

this is copy of the part that i edited in the flash.bat file

:SEAFLASH
    set firmware=SD1A3D4D.lod

i then created a USB startup disk and copied files from the .ISO to the usb boot disk i created and replaced the old AD14ALL.LOD file with the SD1A3D4D.lod file.

this worked for me

i take no responsibility for it not working for you, but hey if the dirve is a nice shiny rather expensive paper weight, what have you got to lose.