Seagate FireCuda 520 Heatsink is Need or Not?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by JohnnyR2D2, Feb 22, 2020.

1. JohnnyR2D2

JohnnyR2D2 New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    Hello everyone,

Hope I can get some insights from my question below and help me decide what to do.

I'm building a new RIG (current is under my signature) with the following:

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Bought already)
    Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Seagate FireCuda 520 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Seagate FireCuda 520 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card (Bought already)
    Cooler Master MasterCase SL600M ATX Mid Tower Case (Bought already)
    Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Have it already)

My question is specifically in regards to the Firecudas 520. They don't come with a heatspreader or heatsink included and neither the Mobo has heatsink for M.2 drives. With that said should I worry about getting an aftermarket M.2 heatsink or no need? And if yes since this is a two-sided M.2 is there any specific heatsink I should look? Does anyone have any recommendation for a good heatsink?

Last but not least , the reason I'm choosing the Firecudas are basically two (advertised endurance and warranty from Seagate which I already used more than once and never had any issues with).

Thanks in advance,

JohnnyR2D2

2. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    I've used a couple of the drives (both for x570 chips, so running pci-e 4.0) and they run nice. I would recommend a heatsink. Any heatsink (whatever you find cheap) and some good quality thermal pads will work, but some of the big chunky heatsinks can have trouble clearing video cards, so keep that in mind. Seagate certainly has plenty experience in storage.

3. WarthogARJ

WarthogARJ New Member

GPU:
    Intel
    Hi.
    I'm new here, have been lurking.
    Nice forum, and well run website for testing things: thanks for your efforts.

I've been looking at SSD's quite a bit now, as much for interest now after I started researching my newest purchase.

In short, I think you should be running some sort of cooling for ALL M.2 format SSD's.
    Even if they include some sort of "heat spreader" (like a copper layer), or heat exchanger, you should consider adding better cooling (like a fan) if your specific use indicates it's needed.

And if you are going to be using it for anything that starts to run it heavily, then you will definitely benefit from at last some form of cooling.
    I cannot see any issue to adding in a small fan that blows onto your SSD.
    You can buy an efficient large diameter one and just run it all the time: the cost is peanuts, and it uses very little power.
    Quiet too.
    It will also help circulate air inside your case.
    You don't need a large diameter for the air volume, it's just you can buy a quieter one cheaper in large size than a small one if noise is an issue.

As everyone has found who has looked at the issue, from the manufacturers through reviewers, to end users, the controllers generate huge amount of heat if they are run at high levels for anything past 50-100 seconds of continuous use.

You won't get there if your system has some sort of bottleneck, like low levels of SSD memory, or slow system speeds (like SATA vs PCIe).

But by definition, if you can actually see the benefit of actually running a higher end SSD, then you will definitely risk thermal throttling in most cases.
    Even with a heat spreader, or cooling fins: they are PASSIVE systems.
    T really see any effects you need an ACTIVE cooling system.

A lot depends on your overall system: if your internal (or external) temperature is high, and/or air is not circulated well, then any heat spreader or exchanger is going to be pretty ineffective.

In my eyes, the best site for thermal effects is TechpowerUp: see this for the earlier Seagate drive: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/apacer-as2280-p2-480-gb/7.html
    The controller goes from 40 to 70 C in under 100 seconds, and the effect on the write speed is obvious: it plummets from 2,200MB/sec to 1,500 MB/sec due to thermal throttling.
    And with a fan, it never rises higher than 55 C.

They've even got a nice thermal image to show what is getting hot, and how high it does get (95 C): https://tpucdn.com/review/seagate-firecuda-510-1-tb-ssd/images/flir.jpg

Although this issue is well known, nobody really addresses it because for most users it isn't an issue.
    They don't actually run the SSD hard enough for it to happen.

And the manufacturers have a conflict of interest in saying that, because it then goes on to admit that most people don't need the capabilities of what they're trying to sell the average end user.

And the Reviewers?
    Well, maybe I'm being cynical, but either they don't understand the issue, or also tend to have the same conflict of interest: after all, they only make $$$ if their readers go out and buy stuff they cannot actually benefit from....:-0